SAU Community

Oil/water Heat Exchanger, Suit Wet/dry Sumps

Hi Guys,

This is a C&R Radiators water to oil heat exchanger. Suitable for wet or dry sump installations but wont fit a stock car easily.

Ideally you use this with a cross flow radiator where the bottom hose is on the pasenger side of the car. Cool water from the radiator then goes through the heat exchanger to the block.

This is the second largest heat exchanger that C&R make and is the 18 plate version. For more info look here.. http://crracing.com/custom_built/external_heat.shtml

Cost me just under $600 USD. Will accept swaps for parts to suit an R34 GTR or $300 cash + delivery.

Ph: 0434 147 478

Item is located in Cairns, will freight anywhere...

It weighs about 8KG despite being aluminium, the heat exchanger core is copper.

post-26553-1243828299_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1243828440_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1243828449_thumb.jpg

post-26553-1243828463_thumb.jpg

Reason for selling:

Change of plans.... I was using some custom watercooled heads on my twin turbo VW race engine that allowed me to then use this water/air heat exchanger for oil cooling. The limited space in the car for radiators made this heat exchanger a very convenient method of oil cooling as all the radiators are used for cooling coolant only. Ive now switched back to air cooled heads, so the entire cooling system has been revised.

Its best to run the cooler on the pressure side and preferably with an in-line oil thermostat so your oil temps warm up faster and dont get overly cool on the track. I suppose you could run it on the scavenge side as well, though your oil temps where they enter the block would always be lower than your thermostat would be rated at due to plumbing length and heat radiated from the tank.

You never run a cooler on the suction side. At the most you run a strainer on the pickup or scavenge stages to protect the pump from debris in the event of a blow up.

Oil in and out fittings are a generic metric thread, I cant remember what exactly though. I had -16 fittings in it, but they are in my peterson dry sump tank now. All the sizes for dry sump systems seem to be pretty universal, the threads are the same on everything. You can buy adapter fittings at pirtek that fit with -8, -10 or -12 if you want to run smaller.

• 1 month later...