SAU Community

R35 Stocker Tyres?

LSX-438

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agree with all of the above re unsprung weight, gearing, wall stiffness/profiles compounds available etc. :D there are so many variables that the easiest comparison is simply how the 2 different setups compare on the track and the relative value and track life of each. seems not too many ADM guys have the dunlops for comparison, any JDM guys out there have experience with the dunlops?

yeah at oran park and eastern creek the dunlops are about 1 second -1.5 seconds a lap quicker than the bridgestone. so going by what LSX said about the RE55s being 2 sec quicker than bridgestones then I'd say they'll be around a second quicker than the stock dunlops.

I'd say if you only plan on a few track days a year then go the 20s. at the price you quoted they are not much more than the RE55s and are still good on track and last fairly well if you treat them sensibly. plus you can drive the car on them the other 360 days of the year without funny looking wheels/tramlining/excessive wear.

but if you're going to be doing 10-20 track days a year then it's probably worth getting a set of 18 or 19inch wheels and buying semis for them.

• 2 months later...
It's quite straight forward, I have done it many times in the past few years.

You order your tyres by email from the Tire Rack. You pay shipping, buy their cheapest option ie. FedEx Economy (about USD250 for 4 or USD 50 for 8).

On arrival in Australia you pay: 10% tariff because tyres are Japanese and it says so on the invoice (zero tariff if they were American or Thai due to free trade agreements)

Then you add 10% GST on the tyres and Shipping (no tariff on shipping as it is USA input)

Finally, you pay about A$65 quarantine and A$100 customs clearance.

It pays to bring in 8 tyres and the more expensive they are in Australia the bigger the savings.

Finally, factor in the exchange rate of 0.80 and these tyres end up costing A$600 each, delivered to your doorstep by FedEx.

Now take the new tyres to your friendly tyre shop and watch their faces when you ask them to fit them and balance for $20 each....

Col Crawford quoted $1000F and $1200Rear

Is there an exemption for import duty if the tyres are for a car over a certain age? If so is all thats required is the supplier to state on the inoice that the tyres are for an "old" car?

Do 18" Wheels fit over the R35 Brakes? My track car (an R33 GTR) has 18" x 9.5 Rays RE30s

but I dont think they are wide enough for the rear & didnt think they would clear the brakes.

Do 18" Wheels fit over the R35 Brakes? My track car (an R33 GTR) has 18" x 9.5 Rays RE30s

but I dont think they are wide enough for the rear & didnt think they would clear the brakes.

Depends on the 18" rim. I know of two or three that do fit the r35.

I run the Enkie GTC-01 18x10x22 and they work fine.

Edited by LSX-438

Hi there targa, we are located in Ferntree Gully @ Ferntree Gully Nissan

Sorry Stuart I missed your reply.

Is that fitted and balanced?

Do you fit on site or sent them out?

Guys,

Except Bridgestones and Dunlops that come on GT-R as std equipment, are there any other tyres that suit the R35, road tyres?

I find it hard to believe that companies like Michelin, BFGoodrich or Pirelli etc do not have anything that can suit the R35.

Edited by rehab2010

some 18 inch TE37s will fit and as duncan said the enkei GTC-01s fit but I would go for some 19s if you're after a set of track rims. 19inch TE37s fit fine and give a bit more clearance and you can still get good semi's in 19inch like RE55 and dunlop DZ03G etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Guys,

Except Bridgestones and Dunlops that come on GT-R as std equipment, are there any other tyres that suit the R35, road tyres?

I find it hard to believe that companies like Michelin, BFGoodrich or Pirelli etc do not have anything that can suit the R35.

Yes there are, just browse the Tirerack website. There are Pirelli's, Michelins and also alternative Dunlops. I just found a set of of Dunlop DSST7010s sitting at my back door to try next. My car's a daily driver and I've knocked up 12,000 kms in less than 5 months and looking at replacing them at 15000 kms so I thought I'd try these to see if they wear a bit better than the "extreme performance" Dunlops and Bridgestones. They only are rated up to 270 kph but I dont see that being a major issue to me in our overpoliced SA...

Out of interest I looked online because I was quoted $1100 for rears and $850 for front Dunlop DSST600s which I regard as highway robbery when these tyres cost under US$400 in the states.

All up landed at my front door they were:

US$362 x 2 (Fronts)

US$402 x 2 (Rears)

US$264 Shipping ($450 if I bought 8)

Total US$1792

In AUS$ at 0.86 exchange rate totals AU$2083

AUS$25 wire transfer fee.

Import costs of $540 which consisted of:

Duty was 10% on the tyre value alone.

GST was 10% on everything.

Freight company customs clearing costs and quarantine.

Total AUS$2648 which comes to $662 a tyre inclusive of GST. A saving of almost $1300 over local prices. When arbitrage opportunities like this exist its no wonder people will incur a little inconvenience to save a bucketload. (And it wasn't exactly inconvenient either, 20 mins on a website and on my internet banking...)

Also another tip. If you cannot claim the GST as an input tax credit just order them as two parcels of two tyres which will get each parcel in under the $1000 threshold for duty and GST. You'll pay extra for freight, (~US$200) but it will more than be offset by the saving in duty and GST however there will not be any GST on the purchase price that you can claim back. Just order them a week or two apart so that customs don't deem them to be the same shipment and lump it all together and hit you with the duties and taxes.

Get together with your fellow R35 owners and order in 8 and save another $20 a corner.

some 18 inch TE37s will fit and as duncan said the enkei GTC-01s fit but I would go for some 19s if you're after a set of track rims. 19inch TE37s fit fine and give a bit more clearance and you can still get good semi's in 19inch like RE55 and dunlop DZ03G etc.

Richard, as far as i know you cant get RE55's or the Dunlops in 19"

- this is the reason i went with 18's

You can of course get 888's now in 19" and even 20" but to be frank i dont think they are suited to the R35.

Btw, i just yesterday picked up some new 18's with more appropriate offset (30mm fronts, 15mm backs) and put some Porsche Cup slicks on them. Should be trying them very soon :)

This is interesting. My R35 has 10000km & one more full track day will be the end of them I think.

Might start looking into this as will need some new 18" race tyres for my R33 soon too.

We do get reamed buying here locally. I remember a few years ago getting quoted $800+ for

an electric Dedenbear water pump, so I rang them direct in USA, gave the ccard details, &

had it landed within 10 days for $405 total including postage!

Dont even get me started on the price of our new imported cars here!

Guys, I have bought the SP600 run flat tyres from Taleb Tyres at Arncliffe, they were exceptional on their price, I would highly recommend these guys.

Call them and ask for their best pricing, they were well under 3 grand fitted for all four tyres.

PM for exact pricing if you like, but you are better off calling them, I shopped around and they were the best.

Cheers,

Gibbo

Guys, I have bought the SP600 run flat tyres from Taleb Tyres at Arncliffe, they were exceptional on their price, I would highly recommend these guys.

Call them and ask for their best pricing, they were well under 3 grand fitted for all four tyres.

PM for exact pricing if you like, but you are better off calling them, I shopped around and they were the best.

Cheers,

Gibbo

told ya taleb was the way to go. :) it's definitely cheaper buying from them than even buying direct from japan. might be line-ball with tirerack depending on the exchange rate of the day, but they are a local business and will look after you as best they can. :O

• 5 months later...

car in for POS today, service manager was telling me they have 400 dunlops sitting in a warehous in Vic? not sure if this is BS but he is usually pretty straight up. prices from the delarers might be a little better now, but are no doubt more than the $2600 you could get them for elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I just rang my dealer today to get some (went to the track for the first time ever really yesterday on the Bridgestones and they were TERRIBLE - but given they are 15,000kms old I was kinda expecting that) - anyways the dealer had a number of sets in stock.

If you are using the stock wheels, I wonder whether you should try the wider rear dunlops all round to help with understeer. Even better if you can get another pair of rear stock wheels up front. I think amuse uses this strategy on their time attack gtr though I can't be certain. Might stick out a bit!

As in above post my dealer says nissan have access to plenty if dunlops just not at the price you are after. Price from the dealer has come down a little though I think since a year ago.