SAU Community

Holden V6 Supercharged Into R32

huh? stop smoking cheap crack!

If you are bothered to do that...

Then why not do something extremely different.. 11L cummins! It will run smoother, make less impact to the world and it WILL make big power and huge torque!

Sound totally stupid now doesn't it!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

huh? stop smoking cheap crack!

If you are bothered to do that...

Then why not do something extremely different.. 11L cummins! It will run smoother, make less impact to the world and it WILL make big power and huge torque!

Sound totally stupid now doesn't it!

LOL

The Australian hillclimp championship was won be a Buick V6 powered car (and not the first time either) not to mention the odd circuit lap record - I don't see them jumping to a Cummins anytime soon.

....and to think he pulled a Cosworth V8 out of the car too to replace it with the V6 because he wanted more torque!

Edited by juggernaut1

LOL

The Australian hillclimp championship was won be a Buick V6 powered car (and not the first time either) not to mention the odd circuit lap record - I don't see them jumping to a Cummins anytime soon.

....and to think he pulled a Cosworth V8 out of the car too to replace it with the V6 because he wanted more torque!

i though peter won it again in his super charged vw open wheeler?

Well i personally am not a fan of Bastard engine swaps., ie engine from a different manufacturer

But to go a little against the grain the V6 engine by Buick is quite an animal. For all those slinging crap at it check this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djN94DHkAsA

48800d1210994658-pics-vids-bg2008-dsc06461-medium-.jpg

Edited by GTR-32U

If we are talking CRAAAAZEEEH engine swaps its simple as far as im concerned.

LS2 + stroker kit + underbonnet screw supercharger with sandwiched water to air cooler in the intake manifold.

- instant torque

- power

- response

- revs its tits off

- would destroy a dyno

- can be driven every day

- will be reliable.

Or a dodge viper V10, your choice. Its shorter than an RB... Saw one fitted into a HQ sedan at the tassie hot rod nationals.

i though peter won it again in his super charged vw open wheeler?

Gary West came out of retirement pulled the car out of the garage and won the title with the normally aspirated Buick V6 powered open wheeler....again.

Pretty sure this car also holds the outright lap record at Barbagello too.

Edited by juggernaut1

If we are talking CRAAAAZEEEH engine swaps its simple as far as im concerned.

LS2 + stroker kit + underbonnet screw supercharger with sandwiched water to air cooler in the intake manifold.

- instant torque

- power

- response

- revs its tits off

- would destroy a dyno

- can be driven every day

- will be reliable.

Or a dodge viper V10, your choice. Its shorter than an RB... Saw one fitted into a HQ sedan at the tassie hot rod nationals.

Problem with the positive displacement supercharger on the LS is that they have too much low down torque and sacrifice top end. Mate has one on a Monaro and now he's putting traction control on it. Brother has a twin turbo LS2 and makes more power everywhere from 3200rpm when it hits full boost and is much more tractable than my mates supercharged Monaro.

Depends if you want to do skids or have a fast car I guess.

Edited by juggernaut1

LOL

so the fact that the buick motor was in a car that probably only weighs 700kg has nothing to do with it...... also nothing to do with the fact that it is a 4.2L v6 buick motorsport engine and has no parts in common with the holden v6...... also the v8 it replaced was only 3.0L.

that is like saying the holden v6 is better then the v8's used in the v8 supercars because the lap record of a formula holden lap record is about 8 seconds faster than that of a v8 supercar, despite the fact that the v6 is only putting out about 270kw, in a car that weighs 650kg and has more downforce than the v8 supercar, which puts out over 450kw and weighs about twice as much at 1355kg. but that doesn't mean anything. the v6 must be a better motor because it powers a car that does a faster lap time....... and the 1.6L motor in the formula fords that puts out less than 100kw must be a better motor than the v8's in the commodore and falcon utes because it can lap around eastern creek around 12 seconds a lap quicker. that also has nothing to do with the fact that there is about a 1000kg weight difference between the 2 cars.....

as for that drag car, bit hard to compare that to what is found in the commodores, considering it is bored and stroked out to around 4.5L, runs 2 massive turbos, etc. and there are sr20's running close to that time. and 2jz powered cars are into the 6's, so they are obviously better, and they are smaller.

but the point still remains that bang for buck, a v6 out of a commodore is going to give less power and reliability than a stock rb25.

so the fact that the buick motor was in a car that probably only weighs 700kg has nothing to do with it...... also nothing to do with the fact that it is a 4.2L v6 buick motorsport engine and has no parts in common with the holden v6...... also the v8 it replaced was only 3.0L.

that is like saying the holden v6 is better then the v8's used in the v8 supercars because the lap record of a formula holden lap record is about 8 seconds faster than that of a v8 supercar, despite the fact that the v6 is only putting out about 270kw, in a car that weighs 650kg and has more downforce than the v8 supercar, which puts out over 450kw and weighs about twice as much at 1355kg. but that doesn't mean anything. the v6 must be a better motor because it powers a car that does a faster lap time....... and the 1.6L motor in the formula fords that puts out less than 100kw must be a better motor than the v8's in the commodore and falcon utes because it can lap around eastern creek around 12 seconds a lap quicker. that also has nothing to do with the fact that there is about a 1000kg weight difference between the 2 cars.....

as for that drag car, bit hard to compare that to what is found in the commodores, considering it is bored and stroked out to around 4.5L, runs 2 massive turbos, etc. and there are sr20's running close to that time. and 2jz powered cars are into the 6's, so they are obviously better, and they are smaller.

but the point still remains that bang for buck, a v6 out of a commodore is going to give less power and reliability than a stock rb25.

Yes I agree power to weight and power delivery is everything in motorsport.

Also I believe the Gary West car is a 4.9 litre Buick V6 motor revving to just under 9000rpm.......I guess he could have used an RB.

Stock for stock I think the V6 may have more (or very close) power and torque at 195kw @ 6500 rpm and 340nm @ 2600 rpm, respectively, compared to the RB.

As for reliability and cost....the Commodore and Falcon sixes have spawned a whole race class based on low cost reliable racing. I guess the success of the class speaks for itself.

But if it were my choice I'd slot in a LS2....light, compact, cheap, reliable, economical for the performance with the 6 speed, better overall power curve and huge aftermarket support, plus the stock computer can be tuned to suit some fairly serious levels of mods. Refreshingly simple really.

Edited by juggernaut1

Yes I agree power to weight and power delivery is everything in motorsport.

Also I believe the Gary West car is a 4.9 litre Buick V6 motor revving to just under 9000rpm.......I guess he could have used an RB.

Stock for stock I think the V6 may have more (or very close) power and torque at 195kw @ 6500 rpm and 340nm @ 2600 rpm, respectively, compared to the RB.

As for reliability and cost....the Commodore and Falcon sixes have spawned a whole race class based on low cost reliable racing. I guess the success of the class speaks for itself.

But if it were my choice I'd slot in a LS2....light, compact, cheap, reliable, economical for the performance with the 6 speed, better overall power curve and huge aftermarket support, plus the stock computer can be tuned to suit some fairly serious levels of mods. Refreshingly simple really.

that is only for the newer alloytech 3.6L v6 (which isn't supercharged), and the better of the 2 versions. the base version is 175kw and 330nm. if you look at the figures for the old 3.8L they aren't as good. the supercharged version only put out 171kw, but had more torque at 375nm, and the NA version is 152kw and 305nm. so if you compare the engine that was originally talked about in this thread, you are looking at a 171kw engine vs 184kw from the rb25. now the torque of the commodore is more, but the other thing to remember is that the rb25 can be tweaked to be making 50 or 60kw more and only be limited by the ecu and turbo. the stock internals will take a fair bit more. in the case of the v6 the stock internals won't take that much more. the other thing to consider is the fact that the supercharged v6 only came in auto form, so you have to go through the hassle of converting it to manual, which isn't as easy as converting other cars (if you want it manual that is).

as for the commodore race series, etc, the engines they use in them are rebuilt, that is why they are reliable. yes there are aftermarket parts that will make them reliable for race use, but the stock parts won't take power increases that well.

i too would either be going an LS2 or RB25/30 or nissan v8. basically anything other than the holden v6

problem is that they are a cast iron block (like the rb series engines), so heavy as hell. also doubt they would fit easily due to them being a longer motor and taller motor and probably wider motor. as well as the gearbox being much bigger.

would be good to see done though. certainly plenty of poke in the motor. especially if done using the new 310kw motor. a flat 565nm of torque from under 2000rpm all the way up to 5200rpm. and in a car that weighs (once you take into account the heavier motor, etc) probably 200 to 250kg lighter than the falcon.

ahahaha, damn you beat me to it. i have a mate with a rx7. seems to be that you don't service them every few months (or 5000kms), you rebuild them, LOL. he once had to rebuild it after 6 months and it hadn't even been started.

apexseals.gif

hey inregards to what u said about rx7, sorry to be out of topic here, but my mates is about to buy an FD rx7, is da car highly maintenance car?? do u have to service it on the spot??

oh no you don't have to service them. you just have to rebuild them both before and after every trip to the shops, LOL.

nah they aren't that bad, just have a reputation as being unreliable once given a hard time. the newer ones are much better.

at the end of the day... all said and done, a standard~ish V6 commo engine is gonna be nothing but a waste of time and money!

There are much easier options out there..

aaron you are from gympie (like myself) so you should know that the commodore motors are the best and most powerful engine ever made and would be the best conversion you could do to any car, LOL. just ask any of the people who do laps up the street every day.

I reckon a well set up RB25DET would be more than enough , if you can get tyre fryer power out of them in an R33 GTST then it would be same deal in a slightly lighter car and the conversion is straightforward .

I reckon one you break traction big time any more performance is a waste of time and money and probably makes it a lot harder to drive .

I think a street sorted 260 Kw Rb25 - head/cams/inlet manifold/injectors/bolt on turbo/pipes/GTR IC/PFC etc - done .

A .

I think those dissing the Buick V6 fail to realise they wern't designed as a high revving performance motor....so very far from it. Rather a low revving motor with good bottom end torque built to last. For those that know there bikes IMHO there the 'XR' of cars

From experience my ol bunky VN passed along hte generations is still going strong. My m8 has it now with the original motor unopened. reads 400,000km +. He hasnt bothered to change the oil in the last 45,000 (i was the last to change it). This is not the only one i know off.....

I think those dissing the Buick V6 fail to realise they wern't designed as a high revving performance motor....so very far from it. Rather a low revving motor with good bottom end torque built to last. For those that know there bikes IMHO there the 'XR' of cars

From experience my ol bunky VN passed along hte generations is still going strong. My m8 has it now with the original motor unopened. reads 400,000km +. He hasnt bothered to change the oil in the last 45,000 (i was the last to change it). This is not the only one i know off.....

After 400,000klm's you never need to do an oil change.....you top the oil up....it leaks out the bottom.....you top the oil up next week...it leaks out the bottom the following week....and so on. New oil every week. :D