SAU Community

Who Is The Best Tuner In Australia?

Everyone will have thier own view, some people have bad stories of places, good stories of others."

if you ask 50 people who have been to the same big name workshop you will get at least 10 that thought they were ripped off.

ain't that the truth, of all the tunes I have had, the worst one was by a high profile and respected workshop who are known for tuning of reliable, powerful cars for the circuit. bad hair day I guess

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok it wasnt an invite for the QLD posse to come into another thread.

I will sort it out as i wont give a 3rd warning as stated in my post.

Thread cleaned.

So you clean out our replies, but not the instigator??? Love your work!!!

So you clean out our replies, but not the instigator??? Love your work!!!

Thanks. ;)

Oh btw - if you dont bite, then there is nothing to instigate is there? And then Admin can sort it out nice and easily. :)

I went to a big name tuner a few years ago to have my Unichip installed and tuned. They didn't start till 3.00pm then finished it in 30min. I drove it home and no change what so ever. I took it to Jim at Croydon and he tells me the wiring isn't right so he fixes that then 2hrs on the dyno later I couldn't believe the difference, just amazing.

You would be shocked to know the Unichip installer.

i had the same experience 5yrs ago with my 1st gtr...

after 2 other tuners played around with my car i took it to jim as well, he laughed at the mapping then started tuning it. he gave me the keys & said:

"take it for a drive, if u dont like it dont pay"

so i took it for a drive & when i returned i couldnt wipe the smile off my face, he only picked 35awkw on the tune & SAME BOOST LEVEL ;)

u pay for what u get, he isnt cheap but well worth every cent - good luck with your car.

umm I am not associated with Dan or Elite Racing Developments but you delete the QLD guys posts that object to Guilt Toys post, but not his that slags off a business directly (isn't that a big no no)??

That seems a little wrong everyone has bad experiences with businesses but noone else has used names except for Guilt Toy and his post is kept up whilst others are deleted. Can you explain the logic behind deleting all of the QLD posts as some of them I saw were just showing very strong support of Elite Racing Developments enought that even I am now thinking of going to see him for some work?

umm I am not associated with Dan or Elite Racing Developments but you delete the QLD guys posts that object to Guilt Toys post, but not his that slags off a business directly (isn't that a big no no)??

That seems a little wrong everyone has bad experiences with businesses but noone else has used names except for Guilt Toy and his post is kept up whilst others are deleted. Can you explain the logic behind deleting all of the QLD posts as some of them I saw were just showing very strong support of Elite Racing Developments enought that even I am now thinking of going to see him for some work?

Im not going into it any further after this post. Anyone that does will be sent on a small holiday. Its very simple.

To anyone just reading the forum, there is nothing in the comment at all. Think about it objectively for a second and then you will agree.

However due to issues past i know its an attempt to push buttons. So again, depends on your perspective.

There is much more too it involving PM's, more than just one Admin (several are involved) and so on, so please keep on topic and let us (the Admin team) do our job in the best way we see fit.

I do not think such a request is unreasonable.

ain't that the truth, of all the tunes I have had, the worst one was by a high profile and respected workshop who are known for tuning of reliable, powerful cars for the circuit. bad hair day I guess

What was so bad about the tune?

Ive had my car done at CNJ Performance recently and could not be happier with the result and price i paid.

What was so bad about the tune?

I don't even know where to start, i saved the map for future reference and I have since had 2 other tuners look at it, both expressed dire concern about the tune that was in there, no names were ever mentioned.

The car was backfiring, absoluting dumping fuel down the dump pipes, it made one of the lowest power figures i have ever seen, it was rich to the point of setting the car on fire in the low rev range and lean up top causing detonation, then engine has since expired.

bad day I guess.

matt at hitman tuning in penrith. i had a fairly pricey tune from a well recommended place and ran into 'problems'. payed matt a $1000 flat fee for emmisisons tune / certification, and another $250 to tidy up the top end (that included dyno as well as about 2 hours of road tuning so i got a lot for my money). ended up with a safe tune, more power, good economy and driveability, and legal. all he does is tune - rb / rotor / 2j /v8 etc. should have gone there first, would've been a hell of a lot cheaper and more productive.

I don't even know where to start, i saved the map for future reference and I have since had 2 other tuners look at it, both expressed dire concern about the tune that was in there, no names were ever mentioned.

The car was backfiring, absoluting dumping fuel down the dump pipes, it made one of the lowest power figures i have ever seen, it was rich to the point of setting the car on fire in the low rev range and lean up top causing detonation, then engine has since expired.

bad day I guess.

Jeez that is a bit strange since im thinking we went to the same place

Mine has good afr's at 11.8 with the rb20 making 200rwkw on 15.5 psi from a hks 2530

It will get a decent work out at the track so, hopefully it doesnt end the same way yours did

:P

Also I have been to my favorite tuner and he did a good job but every time I started playing on a wet day it would light up the engine check light. Took it back to him and he trimmed some timing in the top end, easy fix. These days if someone tunes my car and screws up I am a pain in the arse till he fixes it. Just keep going back till he gets it right. Thats called customer service and you have a right to it. Even one of the very tuners we have mentioned here blew one of my engines through neglect on his behalf. So if you judge a workshop by how many impressive cars he has in his shop waiting to be tuned just remember, he may not have time for yours to be done right. This particular workshop has the largest collection of drag and circuit records to it's name and he couldn't diagnose a slipping timing belt cause he wasn't working on a $50,000 engine and he stopped working on a big dollar circuit car and squeezed mine in with my pissy little stock engine and hi-flow turbo.

If i was Arnie in that movie where he falls preggers, I would have my tuners babies.

Before picking an ECU i sat down and had a chat to him about what i was after. I pretty much gave him free rein on any ECU (he tunes most) and in the end we decided on a Nistune. He could of made a lot more money from me crapping on and telling me i must have a Power FC, Motec, Vipec etc but to his credit he actually gave me something that suited my needs.

Last week i went for a check up/tune and because he made me wait 1/2 an hour he did it all for free :-)

To me, the fact that he's obviously not out to take every cent from you, the fact that he's happy to take all the time you need chatting about options, and the fact that he knows what cust svc is makes him stand out from the rest.

If i was Arnie in that movie where he falls preggers, I would have my tuners babies.

Before picking an ECU i sat down and had a chat to him about what i was after. I pretty much gave him free rein on any ECU (he tunes most) and in the end we decided on a Nistune. He could of made a lot more money from me crapping on and telling me i must have a Power FC, Motec, Vipec etc but to his credit he actually gave me something that suited my needs.Last week i went for a check up/tune and because he made me wait 1/2 an hour he did it all for free :-)

To me, the fact that he's obviously not out to take every cent from you, the fact that he's happy to take all the time you need chatting about options, and the fact that he knows what cust svc is makes him stand out from the rest.

that is spot on, there seems to be a few guys on here that believe there is only one ecu for every skyline :P

Before picking an ECU i sat down and had a chat to him about what i was after. I pretty much gave him free rein on any ECU (he tunes most) and in the end we decided on a Nistune. He could of made a lot more money from me crapping on and telling me i must have a Power FC, Motec, Vipec etc but to his credit he actually gave me something that suited my needs.

Last week i went for a check up/tune and because he made me wait 1/2 an hour he did it all for free :-)

Thats cause he's a bloody legend.

Has something to prove and is well on his way to doing that.

I wont mention the bad tuners, as one is now out of business anyway.

I used Nigel at Racingline/Ice performance for both my S15 and R33 GTR. The S15 made 258rwkw, never had the head off, 210,000kms, the new owner is still racing around Sandown.Sadly, Nigel is no longer tuning.

The GTR made 450+ rwkw, not a single problem, it was my daily.

My R34, if I mod it, it will either be at RacePace or Status