SAU Community

Low-profile Jack

Hey guys as the title says where can i get a good low profile jack in Canberra one for changing wheels doing basic stuff on the car? Also how much should I be looking to pay for one. Not looking for the beez knees just something that wont fail the first time I use it.

Cheers Adam.

Gasweld had one before, it would have been 3 years ago now... It was pretty pricey ($399 or something stupid) so I gave up and just drive my car only blocks now and use a $135 magic jack with a bolted arm. Those ones that have the arms that go in and out are really annoying for low cars.

You should always use jack stands or throw a wheel underneath the car.

Edited by StinkyPoo

i bought a low profile one from fisher discounts in fyshwick for about 200-250 i think, pretty solid. a friend has the same one and uses it pretty much daily without any dramas.

i bought a low profile one from fisher discounts in fyshwick for about 200-250 i think, pretty solid. a friend has the same one and uses it pretty much daily without any dramas.

mate of mine bought one from there too for about $250

There are lots of low profile jacks around, even Supercheap had them last time I was in there.

The problem is usually finding one long enough to reach right under the front of a lowered car to the cross member without the jack body or handle fouling on the front bar.

Before you shell out for one, I suggest you ask the shop to let you try it on your car first.

I just use a fairly large scissor style jack that I got from the wreckers for $5. I cut the crank part of the handle off, extended it by about 40cm and added a 1/2" socket drive to the end. From the front of tha car I just slide it under the front cross member and use a cordless impact driver to quickly wind it up and down.

Bit ghetto, but it's only used to get the car up and down onto axle stands.

The other thing that's really useful is a good set of ramps, but again it can be a problem driving a lowered car on to normal metal ramps. I just picked up a set from Autobarn that have a detacheable extension that reduces the angle of the ramp so it clears the front bar.

I have one if you want it is an alloy one which I paid $299 for. Its about 1 month old but will sell for $200 with reciept as I dont have a low car anymore to use it on! PM me and you can come over and try it out if you want before you buy.