SAU Community

Skyline Space Frame

Risking

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will begin this sunday, Unfortunatly these things cant be rushed and there is ALOT of planning.

We'll be cutting up the shell over the weekend and stating to plan further into it.

You boy's are nuts!

But this sounds awesome.

Good luck, or whatever you say when building your own racecar from scratch.

Don't forget Porsche where jamming 1200 BHP into spaceframes in '73. :P

post-2524-1244808348_thumb.jpg

What sort of BHP/Torque are you chasing?

Yer i backed out of the space frame S13 when i had a look at the seat with the bars mounted through it.

I would have loved to have done the space frame and i did mention on here some time back but just dont have the skill set to get it done over here yet.

So we went for the viper instead.

Tell ya whot though Duncan / Risking you could try and squeeze one of these in the car though.

woops wont attach picture some reason

Brad make sure you have a little squirty bottle of water, hyundai kept catching fire when i was cutting it, pain in the ass.

Yeah I had a funny feeling that the thing would be catching fire alot. The sound deadening and everything is still attatched so it could be interesting.

Well anyone who says there skyline has got no more weight to loose is a wanker. There is SO much material in an R32 body shell its not funny. It would almost be worth removing the entire rear quarter and the C pillar to remove the triple skins then fitting a new quarter to a GTR. The sill panels are heavy as and the extra bracing everwhere is hell.

Even under the window frames and front end there is so much excess material that is not needed.

We kinda went a bit further than most would ever want to but here is the result.

There is still some panel to come off and some internal sheel metal to be removed but we have a base to work with now

post-20349-1244959142_thumb.jpg

post-20349-1244959098_thumb.jpg

Here is what left of an R32 when you take the bits that are actually needed. Yes we managed to leave the whole thing together as a floor pan. It is still really heavy and the top section might be lucky to weigh 40Kgs.

post-20349-1244958954_thumb.jpg

post-20349-1244959058_thumb.jpg

Edited by Risking

that is f**king hilarious....I bet you had a ball doing that

I still think you should have put it on a jig first but I guess it's too latenow :dry:

I need to check out the left over bits some time, should be funny as. And you really need to get the remaining shell onto some scales to see what it is now :domokun: I'm sure Nick at Racetige could help :)

Brad why did you cut most of the rear quarters off? i guess you have another skyline to make your panels off...

Anyhow looks great, i was amazed at how many layers of panels were on the hyundai, 3 layers of firewall ect.

327-1.jpg

yeah im going to mould off another GTR quarter I have here.

I suprised how much crap is there!