SAU Community

Skyline Space Frame

Risking

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was a ross balancer but not the balancers fault. The pump was offset slightly due to the dry sump pump being under it. It was fine at lower revs but anything over 8K and it would try and walk the belt off.

No molly in this car. Im using CDS as the primary material. Weight is not the concern this time around and unlike molly I know in 5 years time the space frame wont be riddled with cracks and weak points.

Its also worth mentioning that there are a fair few people helping me out with this project.

Sam at westend performance has done an awesome job assisting with the engine development and machining. His been helping us out with our engines for 15 years (since I was in karts and motocross) and id never use anyone else for machining.

The boys at bobjane in Campbeltown are great and do heaps for us, I use the alligner last minute, late night before a meeting just about every time without fail!

Nick at racetige in tarren point has been instrumental with the suspension development in the white car and his onboard for this too. Gary Cook has also been a massive help with suspension and sway bar development.

Greg at Autosport engineering of course, who has been having his spares pilfered and modified for years now but lets me keep coming back everyday.

Dean and Joseph at revolution racegear who look after us really well again its always last minute!

Steve and the boys at Just jap. Should have seen daz's face when I asked if he could keep an eye out for some 18x13 inch jap rims.....

Jay helps a massive amount with getting the car ready to race, usually on the dumby grid things are still happening. Its far from over but a massive thanks to you mate!

Liam Hill, riverside racing parts, only meet him a few weeks ago but so far in this build Ive asking him more questions than I thought id ever have to, his always helpful and has great advise. People wouldn't realise just how uptight some people can be about race cars untill you try to get information. It can be painful! Many thanks mate the advise and conversation is invaluable. If I can return the favours you need only ask.

Its a long way from finished but there are sooo many people who help out from local bussiness' to interstate parts suppliers. It would be impossible to build this or anything for that matter without their support.

Edited by Risking

Ill take a few latter on tonight once I have the front chassis rails back on and in position.

I took your advice Liam and have moved them further in remounting the rack up top and so forth.

The body is mounted to the main chassis rails which im pretty happy about. And ive now started the lower control arms after finally settling on a length late this afternoon.

I have found one set of 18 by 13's but they are a pair only so would look funny. I currently have some 18 by 11's and 18 by 10's that im setting it up firstly with.

Edited by Risking

Here is a current photo of it.

The design involved trying to get the lower sill pannels to sit flush with the lower chassis rails. So we angled the outter mounts at 14 degrees and have the body sitting on two outter rails which the main hoop and front legs ect will also become a part of.

I've had to revist pythagoras over the last few days to make sure im getting everything perfectly square.

Im using proper squares but with key bars ill keep measuring the 3/4/5 triangles to be 100% certain.

Tommorrow ill bend up the main hoop and start the front legs. Plan is to get them fitted to I can work out exactly where the upper chassis rails are going to be anchored to. Despite doing multiple drawings and sketches it really is easier to use them as a guide and build it as you go. So far anyways.

I spent a bit of time with the guys who will be doing the body work tonight. Im hoping they can fit something really special into the rules but im yet to clear up what I am and aren't aloud to do.

Glad to hear your interested Pete. So far there has only been one person say its a bad idea, otherwise everyone whos seen or heard about it has had some interest.

Id like to see some Supra's and other jap imports built.

post-20349-1245664532_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andrew,

Im working away an hour or two a day in between Duncan's GTR and Jay's new race engine.

I got the main hoop bent up today and some chassis bracing tacked into position.

Its going to need to be jiged very soon so things dont move around too much.

Somethin like that.

Trying to use as little scrap as possible though

I've got to make a trip over to race tech steel and pick up my order of tubing this week sometime.

I've run out of material which is rather annoying but I havent bought any for some time.

you should make me a half cage while you're at it :)

actually.... those in the know...what would a bolt in half cage be worth?

Go to Bonds in Sydney mate they will do you a full bolt in cage with bolt in side intrusion bars so you can legally street it.

Id agree. Its not even worth fabricating a half cage when they are cheap as a kit.

Extend on it if you wish but you wont find cheaper than those kits to begin with

Fairly sure I settled on a rod end supplier today (rose joints)

Pretty expensive little barstards and need a heap of them so looked around for a good brand at a good price.

Edited by Risking

Go to Bonds in Sydney mate they will do you a full bolt in cage with bolt in side intrusion bars so you can legally street it.
Id agree. Its not even worth fabricating a half cage when they are cheap as a kit.

Extend on it if you wish but you wont find cheaper than those kits to begin with

Fairly sure I settled on a rod end supplier today (rose joints)

Pretty expensive little barstards and need a heap of them so looked around for a good brand at a good price.

Thanks Guys.

What style of arms are you going for? Double A, Wishbone?

I now have officailly done nothing new!!

Shit a brick im slack. Honestly ive been distracted from the project this week but next week ill be back into it.

Main hoop is still being done and finalised.

Jay donated some really nice rims today, good mate hey!

Nothing much to report recently. I have not been very well so havent touched it really.

I did manage to source some parts.

A massive thanks to all the guys at Just jap who came up with a fair few air jacks during the week for me.

Ill even have spares now.

Also got the rest of the cage and space frame material, Loads of rod ends and spacers, and a few other little things Im forgetting cause I currently dont care.