SAU Community

Skyline Space Frame

Risking

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using FK rod ends exclusively everywhere on the car.

Im buying through a Sprint car mate who purchases them in bulk and has plenty of stock so to speak.

I wouldnt pay the asking price that most places want for them it would cost a fortune

Paying roughly a 3rd of the normal asking price

Edited by Risking

yeah im alive only just.

Its out of the garage Duncan. Just some little things to finish it off and will be done. Stuff like oil temp senders and shit.

Sorry haven called I will call you tommorrow for sure.

Smashed gear box Chubbs. Brad was changing from 3rd to 4th at the end of the straight and it was all over red rover. It's currently stuck in 4th and we can't get it out. Had to drive it onto the trailer with the starter motor. We'll pull it out and strip it next weekend to inspect the damage, we're predicting stripped gears and smashed selector forks. Should make a good addition the the GTR carnage thread :banana:

The car was on fire up until then but, should of spat out a 1:05 easy. Worst part is the 2hr drive each way + fuel + 2 lots of entry for a combined total of 7 laps between us, but that's racing for you ;)

Yeah I shouldnt have been driving anyways so kinda sucks. I was only planning on doing that session and handing it over to jay for the rest of the day.

Shit I was crook last night! I've been in bed asleep by 730 everynight last week. I had a few drinks saturday night which was a BIG mistake!

There appears to be a selector shaft poking out the side of the gearbox casing. Probably wont get to it for a week or two. Got to finish Duncan's car this week so he can go break things again too. Only minor stuff to do to it and then I couldnt be arsed pulling the white car apart yet.

The car was really alive though. It was running proper boost levels and felt good for the two laps I got to do at pace it didnt get to show its real speed unfotunatly

Slight update. Ive done some hoop and chassis work but its slow atm due to a few other things happeneing.

Thanks to just jap ive now got some decent looking air jacks for it

And I picked up the new coilovers this morning which look really nice.

And a photo of Jays new volks that JUST clear my porsche brakes

post-20349-1247292114_thumb.jpg

post-20349-1247292146_thumb.jpg

post-20349-1247292222_thumb.jpg

For referance those are 18 inch wheels and there is bugger all room between the caliper and rim. 380mm rotor.

Edited by Risking

NOTE:

You may have noticed this thread has been moved.

SAU Admin have decided to run a new section for "Projects, Overhauls and Build-ups"

As such your thread is a prime example of what we wanted to house in this section.

We have left links in the sections you originally posted also to allow easy access to the threads new home.

Any issues, please feel free to pm myself or N1GTR.

Cheers Col

Its really not a project for the feint hearted.

Ive poured alot of cash into it already and even doing all the work myself its getting expensive.

Im now considereing the transaxle option but the cost of purchasing one is pretty high. And ive already got a good enough transmission.

Its the kinda of car everyone would love to have but is so out of reach. Something il be working on once this car is done

I reckon you'd be mad to put anything other than a skyline diff/driveshafts at first. strong enough and you've got some already.

I saw the progress yesterday, it looks excellent, very light and about the most extreme skyline I've ever seen

The more you change the project up, the further your completion date is going to blow out. One thing i learnt about projects is to have a set date and build spec and perfect it before you start and then follow it to the dot.

But as we all know, it rarely goes that way....especially with racing cars/modifications. But its all fun though and no doubt a good learning curve or two will come about from it all.

im not worried about a completion date, ive got cars laying around that are more than competative enough to race in the mean time.

Im sticking with the R200 arse end for this car.

\Next one might get something different

Thanks Duncan glad you liked what you seen!