SAU Community

Cars Sold. Looking At A New Turbo Diesel

So looks like iv sold my ride. Whilst im still 80% on walkin into a 33 im still looking at my options. The thougts of 900km's from a tank are inviting. I dont mind the of the golf/focus but somebody mentioned the epica recently.

Looks like GM deawoo engine so im guessing the epica is shit. May not be round for much longer ect.

Other than the fact im a fool and they dont slide does anybody else have anything constructive to add?

Edited by coaster

the golf is a very refined engine so that would be the top pick in my books, diesel is a very crude fuel and requires alot of engineering to make them run smooth for everyday use. The noise from VW is still there but because of the quality of the car itself, the noise in-cabin is kept to a minumum.

solid design is what you want, the focus would be my next pick as its very nice but the build quality is not as good as the golf.

The French manufacturers have quite a few diesels. But then you'd be buying a French car.

Volkswagen also does the Polo has a diesel. But I reckon you'd want DSG, so stick with the Golf.

The Hyundai i30 is, I've heard, a brilliant car for the money.

do you really want diesel? I mean here in oz it's something stupid like 20c a litre more than petrol, vs half the price of petrol in europe. not to mention there's usually a higher initial cost over the petrol option which would take e.g. 100,000km or so to recoup.

here there just isn't as much of a saving, but I think the golf diesel is good...depends on your budget. Epica is crap, not sure if the Cruze will have a diesel option?

hey mate

my mother has a 06 model golf TDI turbo diesel 2liter dsg from new

i could not recommend this car more its so great

done just under 100,000kms with no problems

with my mum driving will get easily over 1000km to the tank possibly over 1200-1300 if freeway driving

6speed auto dsg that changes so fast when people get in the car first time they cant believe it

goes faster than alot of cars, would easily beat a ve sv6

very reasonable price tag with excellent resale value

Thanks for teh inputs guys. Was thinking along the same lines. Would never go french. I work in a call center that does the factory roadside assistance for alot of manufacturers. The golf's have a much better ratio of cars without problems.

Wouldnt go the polo. Bit tiny and girly lol. After going on a cruze on the weekend i think i may head back to another 33. Least if it breaks i can fix it lol. Thanks for all ur inputs. If i do go to the dark and dirty side il let you guys know how it performs.

hey mate

my mother has a 06 model golf TDI turbo diesel 2liter dsg from new

i could not recommend this car more its so great

done just under 100,000kms with no problems

with my mum driving will get easily over 1000km to the tank possibly over 1200-1300 if freeway driving

6speed auto dsg that changes so fast when people get in the car first time they cant believe it

goes faster than alot of cars, would easily beat a ve sv6

very reasonable price tag with excellent resale value

Good on Nathan's Mom for buying the right car! :bunny:

Good on Nathan as a budding Motoring Editor! :)

Q. What has to be done at the 100,000Km Service?

Get a Cruze diesel or an i30 CRDi. I've driven both and they're both good, honest daily drivers. The i30 feels a bit more upmarket, but the Cruze is a few thousand bucks cheaper.

Is the Cruze made in korea? After looking into it more the only diesel holden i would but would be the astra.

No way i would ever buy a Hyundai...

One of my workmates bought a Mazda 3 diesel, they were very impressed with it. Mind you she wasn't coming from a Skyline, and this was in comparison to a Honda Integra but the thing sure has some torque (360 nm) and I think it came with the sports suspension - well the Mazda 3 version of sports anyway! 6spd manual from the MPS versions.... not sure if you can still get them though

Is the Cruze made in korea? After looking into it more the only diesel holden i would but would be the astra.

No way i would ever buy a Hyundai...

Yeah, the Cruze is made in Korea (for now), but boy, it doesn't feel like it. The Hyundai's a real solid machine, and it looks good too. Remember, the days of the crappy Excel are long gone...

Actually I was also going to suggest the new Mini diesel, but also check out the Golf with the TSI motor. Have your cake and eat it too :P

Above all, make sure you drive one before buying. And remember that if you buy a new car, you'll lose a lot more money on depreciation than you'll ever spend on fuel :down:

dude..... stop screwing round with crap. Why on earth would u want to down grade yourself for a stupid Diesel car when theres so so many better options out there. Diesel sounds like the best idea and when your tank last you 200k more aweek, everyone thinks they are so great. Even no you have been drivin around in your dog box mummy's car that a B Double can out run from light to light.

Diesel engine should be serviced every 5000k, a petrol engine only needs to b serviced 8-10k (normal petrol) A diesel engine car costs norm about 8-10k more, which means, u save money on Fuel, But u pay more the service and buy the dam thing. so unless your goin to keep it for 10-15years its neva goin to pay its self off. that and the fact that u gotta drive round in a shoe box, that i can run faster.....

think about it