SAU Community

Ecutalk

yep, consult cables work, the plug is located with the in cabin fuse box. i've tried a few of the free consult software interfaces and don't remember seeing anything like cold start enrichment. the one i want to get is nissan datascan, it is supposed to be a bit more in depth than the free software getting around.

As I understand it any changes you make to a stock ecu with through the consult do not stick - .i.e. once you unplug it and drive off everything returns to default mode. To make changes to settings you will need a nistune chip or for the S1 an expensive daughterboard that can be chipped.

yeah, all i can do with the software i have is, switch the auxiliary thermo fan on and off, raise and lower the idle, turn cylinders off, etc. but like kiwi said, its all real time testing that isn't a permanent change. the other major features of the software are being able to read and clear fault codes, and some of the software has data logging capabilities, good for looking at afm voltage or injector duty cycle vs rpm.

Ryan - the ECUTalk consults work brilliantly on just about any nissan (with consult ports) and I cant speak highly enough of them. There is a bucket load of other software available that works with their cables, and my personal pick is the original nissan datascan (there are a few others that are pretty good too)

As I understand it any changes you make to a stock ecu with through the consult do not stick - .i.e. once you unplug it and drive off everything returns to default mode. To make changes to settings you will need a nistune chip or for the S1 an expensive daughterboard that can be chipped.

not quite. There is a few things that can be changed with just a consult cable. For instance, the base timing, idle speed and stuff like that can be changed quite easily using just the consult cable.

Search nissan consult on ebay world wide. alot cheaper :P

NO DONT DO EEEETTTT!!

From personal experience, this is a bad idea. I went through 4 ebay specials before I bit the bullet and got the ECUTalk one. Apart from the fact that a lot of other places only use serial ports (and trying to find a usb-serial converter that will talk to them is damn near impossible) they dont all work - I had one ebayer swear black and blue that the unit I returned was not faulty, despite being back to back tested with a known one and no one could get any signal from it (tested on 2 stageas and my pulsar and 3 different laptops)

IMO just get the ECUTalk cable (with USB output) and you wont regret it. If you do want to buy a ebay special just because they are cheaper, I can send you the last ebay one I bought, and didn't bother to return, for free, and then you can have all the frustration without the expense! :down:

Ryan - the ECUTalk consults work brilliantly on just about any nissan (with consult ports) and I cant speak highly enough of them. There is a bucket load of other software available that works with their cables, and my personal pick is the original nissan datascan (there are a few others that are pretty good too)

not quite. There is a few things that can be changed with just a consult cable. For instance, the base timing, idle speed and stuff like that can be changed quite easily using just the consult cable.

NO DONT DO EEEETTTT!!

From personal experience, this is a bad idea. I went through 4 ebay specials before I bit the bullet and got the ECUTalk one. Apart from the fact that a lot of other places only use serial ports (and trying to find a usb-serial converter that will talk to them is damn near impossible) they dont all work - I had one ebayer swear black and blue that the unit I returned was not faulty, despite being back to back tested with a known one and no one could get any signal from it (tested on 2 stageas and my pulsar and 3 different laptops)

IMO just get the ECUTalk cable (with USB output) and you wont regret it. If you do want to buy a ebay special just because they are cheaper, I can send you the last ebay one I bought, and didn't bother to return, for free, and then you can have all the frustration without the expense! :down:

hmm i think that at the end of the day the "ebay specials" aren't any cheaper anyway if you need usb support. the serial-usb adapter i bought (belkin) was about $50, then the e-bay special consult port was $60ish anyway, so it cost me more that the native USB alternative from ecutalk. then theres software on top of that and the hassle of finding it for free if you're so inclined. AND you're keeping your cash in australia. convinced yet? :P

NO DONT DO EEEETTTT!!

IMO just get the ECUTalk cable (with USB output) and you wont regret it. If you do want to buy a ebay special just because they are cheaper, I can send you the last ebay one I bought, and didn't bother to return, for free, and then you can have all the frustration without the expense! :happy:

So this one? or EcuTalk?

I is lost

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_if.shtml

http://www.ecutalk.com

I cant speak for the PLMS ones, having never actually used one, but I can say that the ECUTalk ones work brilliantly, and even though there is a few bits and pieces you have to do (usb drivers installed etc) making them a little more involved than "plug and play" the step by step instructions are stupidly easy to follow, even for a computer noob like me.

The service you get from NewKleer if you have any installation issues is second to none too IMO. Just get one man, and if you are chasing any software let me know :happy:

i'd say either one would be fine, they are both good companies with a quality cable. the only thing everyone is getting at is to get a usb one as a lot of the usb to serial convertors don't work. at the time i got mine they didn't have the usb ones so i got a Blatz brand one and use it with a belkin serial convertor with no problems at all with it.

I'm aware of a member on here that has bought a ebay cable and an ebay serial to usb converter and will be interested to see how it works. Infact think he needs my laptop to test it out will pm him now.

the PLMS one should work the same as ECUTalk, they used the same FTDI chip (and rest of circuit should be fine). so main difference is just the price tag (and the look etc).

I take it the ECUtalk V2 display is meant to be a permanently connected in car feature - does it display all of the information that would be displayed on a laptop or do you still need a laptop to gain all of the features available via the consult cable?

the display is a standalone device, intended to be permanently hooked up (but its plug and play, so u can take it out and plug it into someone elses car to check it) - if you dont want or care to use the laptop with it, you dont need to. it doesnt need a laptop connected for it to work. it can display most, but not all the info that can be shown with software (but since you can use it like a usb consult cable with a laptop if you want, if you need to know anything not shown you can use whatever software on the laptop with the display in USBIF mode).

the only time ive personally needed to hook up a laptop to it was to update the firmware (when there are new features added to the display you can get them via firmware updates), and once to have a play with active tests (changing timing/fuel temporarily)

I am interested in the V2 because i don't have a laptop and don't want to buy one just to use the consult. Presumably firmware updates can be done via my desk top PC.

yeah, thats why it was made, so u dont need to lug a laptop around to monitor the car. firmware updates require the display be connected to the car to get power, so youd either need to get the PC within a couple metres of the car, or borrow a laptop. of course u dont need to upgrade the firmware if it has nothing new that you want to use.

also in future if there is logging ability to sd card, you would need power to download the logs also.

if you're that way inclined, u can just buy a 12v dc adaptor and a female consult port from wreckers (or i have a spare one for $10 i can send with display) and rig that up for 12v power

That V2 display looks like a pretty good thing.

I've personally got a copy of NDS - which is very handy for diagnostics & dyno tuning (via the 'dashboard' function). It also has another tacho/speedo page with speed-alert which would be excellent if you had a carputer fitted & it was active all the time.

The V2 display would be perfect for the trip-meter function if nothing else.

PLMS have also been playing around with Consult/Nissan ECU's for many years, so they too have a very reputable product lineup.

I reckon I might get a V2 display & permanently mount it in the car.

:(

***edit***

Just bought one...