SAU Community

What Power Would This Engine Build Hold Up? Any Ideas

Hi I have a engine with the specs below. I just wanted some ideas what power i shouldnt try and go over in case it blows. All comments appreciated..

r32 engine rb26dett

N1 crank balanced blueprinted

cp pistons 87.5mm

cp piston rings

eagle rods

acl race main bearings

acl race big end bearings

n1 oil water

trust sump extension w baffle and large pickup

1.2mm tomei metal head gasket

tomei full engine gasket kit

tomei oil restrictor

mines cam baffles

hks cam gears

splitfire coils

ati harmonic balancer

gates racing timing belt

greddy racing plugs

all new seals idel bearings

garret 2860rr stage 7 turbos

denso 660 injectors

023 pump

z32 afms

3.5inch exhaust to turbos..

running apexi power fc

big intercooler etc.....

head and cams standard with just an overhaul

any ideas how far i should push this setup..

im thinking 22psi to be safe

maybe 24psi

but powerwise im not sure what it could possibly handle ..

i mean assuming its a good build which it is.

perhaps 520whp?? or 500whp??

2860-7 turbos? they are the limiting factor should see a little over 400hp.

k. Its doing 350whp at moment on 16psi. with quite a rough tune and N1 afm's

with 22-24psi it should do much over 400 i think. will have to see but i am hoping 500 and i think the engine will handle it easily with all the work done to it..

fingers crossed..

i heared 2860s are safe to 22psi.. not sure if they are over 22..

might just try it:)

wont go over 25 tho..

It doesn't matter how much boost you run the turbos can only pump so much air around. It gets to a point where more boost doesn't net higher power figures.

true.. although i think 22psi is around the peak..

so from 350hp on 16psi it should go into the high 400s..

fingers crossed anyhow .. but i mean i was more worried about the internals in the engine.. maybe im being a bit too cautious, i just dont want to rebuild a forged engine.. not cheap.. hence the worry about pushing the power.

If i cant get close to 500hp with these turbos i might snap on a pair of -5's or perhaps something like the GT-rs..

There is no such thing as N1 AFM's for a start

Two, turbo's will be the limit, 440rwhp legitimately is about the best to expect, much more and i'd be dubious of the result. No way its going to make high 400rwhp's.

Considering a decent build with just forged pistons and stock rods/crank etc will hold 500rwhp no problems, you wont have a problem as long as the build is decent and tune... that will be the factors more than anything else as opposed to the parts

To mention maybe going large and to put -5's or GT-RS into the same sentence is a bit silly. GT-RS IMO is not a choice for stock capacity in a road/track car.

You really should do some more research i think :)

Injectors wont be the issue.

Turbo's and headwork will be the factors that influence the power here.

As long as you can get enough fuel and air into the cylinders you've got the right gear to push some good healthy numbers.

I have HKS GTRS's on mine, from experience im saying this; dont put them on a 2.6L :)

Instead, get a pair of -5's, run them at 22-24psi (remember your using pump98) and enjoy!

When you get sick of that, pull the head off, get it ported, add some 260deg 10.25mm lift cams, springs to match, buckets to match (just get all tomei to make life easy), then put it back on, retune, and enjoy.....again. You shouldnt have a problem getting about 350kw atw at this stage, but the duty cycle of the injectors will need to be watched at this stage, basically if you dont want to have to spend any more money, once you get the new turbo's and head on ask him to go as far as he can within safe limits for the injectors.

That will be one quick GTR for the streets.

I hope you have a good clutch, and have at least got good discs and pads for the brakes :D

Injectors wont be the issue.

Turbo's and headwork will be the factors that influence the power here.

As long as you can get enough fuel and air into the cylinders you've got the right gear to push some good healthy numbers.

I have HKS GTRS's on mine, from experience im saying this; dont put them on a 2.6L :D

Instead, get a pair of -5's, run them at 22-24psi (remember your using pump98) and enjoy!

When you get sick of that, pull the head off, get it ported, add some 260deg 10.25mm lift cams, springs to match, buckets to match (just get all tomei to make life easy), then put it back on, retune, and enjoy.....again. You shouldnt have a problem getting about 350kw atw at this stage, but the duty cycle of the injectors will need to be watched at this stage, basically if you dont want to have to spend any more money, once you get the new turbo's and head on ask him to go as far as he can within safe limits for the injectors.

That will be one quick GTR for the streets.

I hope you have a good clutch, and have at least got good discs and pads for the brakes :)

Yeh clutch is nizmo solid centre its 1100hp rated..

but yeh how come not the GTRS turbos?

Way too much lag i take it.

Also yeh I will be installing either 264 or 272 cams not sure what size they are ,are a friends set so when he gets em out i put em in..

Also i have been told its quite safe to use all stock head gear with these cams. We shall see..

If not the GTRS turbos whats your suggestion for something bigger than the -5 but not as laggy as the GTRS?

i just want a good pair of ball bearing turbos that will run 400rwkw or 400awkw without dying after 5000kms.

As for the injectors im very confident them handling 400kw.. no point oversizing them..but thats an easy fix and easy to watch as you tune..

but yeh brakes are an issue i need to address.. crap r32 brakes. i might slot some nice pads at least for now...

i think ill push these turbos as far as theyll safely go and drive like that for while then upgrade...

i mean ppl are pushing 330kw with -7s.

Thats quite powerful for street car..

There is no such thing as N1 AFM's for a start

Two, turbo's will be the limit, 440rwhp legitimately is about the best to expect, much more and i'd be dubious of the result. No way its going to make high 400rwhp's.

Considering a decent build with just forged pistons and stock rods/crank etc will hold 500rwhp no problems, you wont have a problem as long as the build is decent and tune... that will be the factors more than anything else as opposed to the parts

To mention maybe going large and to put -5's or GT-RS into the same sentence is a bit silly. GT-RS IMO is not a choice for stock capacity in a road/track car.

You really should do some more research i think :D

sorry was asleep.. i mean i have nizmo AFMS at the moment. Z32s going in few days.

It has eagle forged rods also and bearings ..

so i think its quite strong and capable of running GT-RS turbos with the cams that will be going in sooner or later.

Only thing is lag obviously.. not sure if i want a slug for the streets, the -7's spool up quickly even with stock cams. i imagine -5's will still come on before 5krpm and with cams the GT-RS i would suggest to be on boost in the 4-5krpm range. Which i dont mind too much although id probable regret it when im on the street and a WRslug beats me off the lights.

You realise Z32 and Nismo AFM's are basically the same thing??

And that Z32's are NOT an upgrade over Nismo????

I also find it interesting you talk of 400hp, then 400rwkw, then 330rwkw... you really need to set your goal in STONE and stop jumping around. It doesnt let people help you properly.

As for the turbos... -5's, GT-RS etc - do a search. The "-5's" aka "HKS 2530" are one of the most popular choices, so there are plenty of threads.

If this thread keeps going down the 'what turbo path' im going to lock it based on the sheer amount of info already on the forum in some very very detailed threads :D

You realise Z32 and Nismo AFM's are basically the same thing??

And that Z32's are NOT an upgrade over Nismo????

I also find it interesting you talk of 400hp, then 400rwkw, then 330rwkw... you really need to set your goal in STONE and stop jumping around. It doesnt let people help you properly.

As for the turbos... -5's, GT-RS etc - do a search. The "-5's" aka "HKS 2530" are one of the most popular choices, so there are plenty of threads.

If this thread keeps going down the 'what turbo path' im going to lock it based on the sheer amount of info already on the forum in some very very detailed threads :mad:

I had no idea about the nismo being the same as the z32.. news to me thankyou I thought theyd be limiting me ..

I was under the impression the Z32 were bigger. Will investigate, see you helped there as this is something i was totally unaware of.

Well as for hp i dont have any concrete figure. I have heared of ppl making 330rwKW on the -7's so i think thats realistic. 400rwKW is what i ultimately am aiming for but not at the moment. I just wanted mainly info on the internals i mentioned if they can hold up to 400rwKW or is it something that i shouldnt be pushing at all or if id need any other parts changed before i try and push it to 400rwKW

As for turbos i know theres tonnes and tonnes of info and oppinions.

Also will the fuel system need upgrading to get 400rwKW? perhaps surge tank or bigger pump and what would be the ideal cam setup to achieve this power?

Yeh clutch is nizmo solid centre its 1100hp rated..

but yeh how come not the GTRS turbos?

Way too much lag i take it.

Also yeh I will be installing either 264 or 272 cams not sure what size they are ,are a friends set so when he gets em out i put em in..

Also i have been told its quite safe to use all stock head gear with these cams. We shall see..

If not the GTRS turbos whats your suggestion for something bigger than the -5 but not as laggy as the GTRS?

i just want a good pair of ball bearing turbos that will run 400rwkw or 400awkw without dying after 5000kms.

As for the injectors im very confident them handling 400kw.. no point oversizing them..but thats an easy fix and easy to watch as you tune..

but yeh brakes are an issue i need to address.. crap r32 brakes. i might slot some nice pads at least for now...

i think ill push these turbos as far as theyll safely go and drive like that for while then upgrade...

i mean ppl are pushing 330kw with -7s.

Thats quite powerful for street car..

Regarding the GTRS's you answered your own question.

Be careful with those cams. If they're high lift they arent always a drop in item. Consult your mechanic about that. There's more to heads than just dropping in cams and hoping for the best :mad:

There's no common GTR turbo between -5 and GTRS that i can think of off the top of my head right now. Dont doubt the -5's power wise, there are some semi regulars on these forums over the 400kw mark with them. Its a street car after all, so lag city isnt where you want to be.

Im glad your confident of 660cc injectors making almost 500/550hp at the wheels. Without sounding like a smart ass, you're stretching it too thin.

Having safety margin in anything is a smart idea, fuel setup is crucial. Doesnt hurt to run 800cc injectors for a 650hp setup. Before replying to this please speak to your tuner, i think you'll be suprised :D

A good upgrade for the R32 brakes is to fit R33 GTR brakes, do a search on that for more info

Good luck with it all :rofl:

Regarding the GTRS's you answered your own question.

Be careful with those cams. If they're high lift they arent always a drop in item. Consult your mechanic about that. There's more to heads than just dropping in cams and hoping for the best :)

There's no common GTR turbo between -5 and GTRS that i can think of off the top of my head right now. Dont doubt the -5's power wise, there are some semi regulars on these forums over the 400kw mark with them. Its a street car after all, so lag city isnt where you want to be.

Im glad your confident of 660cc injectors making almost 500/550hp at the wheels. Without sounding like a smart ass, you're stretching it too thin.

Having safety margin in anything is a smart idea, fuel setup is crucial. Doesnt hurt to run 800cc injectors for a 650hp setup. Before replying to this please speak to your tuner, i think you'll be suprised :)

A good upgrade for the R32 brakes is to fit R33 GTR brakes, do a search on that for more info

Good luck with it all :)

thanks for the reply again..

Yeh the injectors will give up sooner or later. but in tuning the car he can see if they need replacing i guess. Yeh i was also thinking of brembos for it will look for some on the forums. I dont understand why they developed the GTR so well and made it so powerful but forgot to add the brakes. I mean even the vspec2 with the brembos doesnt stop even as well as my jeep does and its 2 tonnes. I mean its a shame that we have to uprgade the whole braking system on the r32's. But id still never change my r32 for any other car in its price range. :)

Will keep everyone posted on work and power outputs and if any engine blowups. fingers crossed as i just bought the car.

Didn't croydon recently turn around a bog standard nur with N1s and power fc and

very few other mods, for 350 awkw? that is, what, 470 horsepowers? isn't that high 400s?

if I remember, poster said they boosted to 1.5 then tailed off to 1.3 bar.

Didn't croydon recently turn around a bog standard nur with N1s and power fc and

very few other mods, for 350 awkw? that is, what, 470 horsepowers? isn't that high 400s?

Havent seen that car. Could be possible.

I will push it to maybe 25psi just over 1.5bar. I mean 330 kw is possible for sure been done many times. 350 would be something to chase anything over would be bonus.

Ive driven one with 380kw with a t78 and yeh 380kw when it hits boost at about 5k rpm it does feel like one mean weapon.

Thing is the guy who bough the car blew the engine from what i hear and it was a 2.7 stroker forged. So from stories like that i am bit worried of pushing my setup too far.

yes...a good friend of mine owns this car and still had more in it...they ran out of fuel pump to go any further.

GT-RS's can work fine on a 2.6....but be prepared to outlay big bucks to get them to perform. -5's is a much more sensible way to go.