SAU Community

Looking At Buying A Gtr With Low Compression On 3 Cylinders.

Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying an r33 gtr with suspected piston ring issues, the car was blowing smoke and after some tests they found 3 cylinders had low compression but i am abit worried there could be more to this and doesnt help the car is in other state. I guess i want to be covering my own ass so to speak as i am un familiar with engines and what is involved with a car in this situation.

What would i be looking price wise for a rebuild on something like this? or is it not worth the time/money..

Edited by outlaw32

ok i have rang around seems for an engine rebuild im looking at 6k with forgies but by the sounds of it the turbos were running high boost the turbine wheel got into the engine and distroyed 4,5,6 cylinders.

but once the engine is out im guessing i have to do turbos then computer then pump... and so the list continues lol

If you're unfamialir with engines, why stuff around with what sounds like a substandard example? GTR ownership / purchasing is potentially difficult enough without throwing in un-necessary problems for yourself. Last time I checked GTRs were at give away prices. Get a good example, and buy locally so you can see, touch feel what you're buying and FGS get a professional opinion if you don't know what you're doing. Why is the engine kapput? What else might be nearly kapput too? Lack of care and maintenance over the life of the vehicle might take its toll elsewhere too.

A bad GTR will send you to the cleaners and then to hell.

ok i have rang around seems for an engine rebuild im looking at 6k with forgies but by the sounds of it the turbos were running high boost the turbine wheel got into the engine and distroyed 4,5,6 cylinders.

but once the engine is out im guessing i have to do turbos then computer then pump... and so the list continues lol

hi, are we able to ask what the price of the car was - out of curiosity?

I dont see whats so bad about buying a car with a blown engine?

Fair enough it may have been thrashed already, but 50% of that will be taken care of with a rebuild. Yes you will be infront $$ wise bigtime.

The other 50% wear and tear is in the gearbox, diffs, wheel bearings and everything else that moves and that has taken the thrashing. Thats if it even has been thrashed..maybe the owner decided to wind up 20psi one night then BANG...maybe he babied it all other times..maybe not...who knows.

Its a bit of a toss up...I bought my GTR for 5,000 and it turned out to be an immaculate example drivetrain-wise. You could buy similar, or it could be a complete piece of shit.

Make your decision based on the condition of the interior, engine bay cleanliness and general condition of the car.

I say go for it. 14k isnt too much, try and bargain him as much as you can to get further infront.

edit: 6k for a rebuild is a joke. Try 10-15k+. If you dont get it done by professionals in RB26s then you will have troubles for the rest of your life. I found out the hard way...second engine!

I agree with your final comment re the price of the re-build, but add $15k+ to an asking price of $14k, plus all the hassles, plus all the unknowns......I certainly wouldn't. But that depends on your appetite for adventure I suppose.

I dont see whats so bad about buying a car with a blown engine?

Fair enough it may have been thrashed already, but 50% of that will be taken care of with a rebuild. Yes you will be infront $$ wise bigtime.

The other 50% wear and tear is in the gearbox, diffs, wheel bearings and everything else that moves and that has taken the thrashing. Thats if it even has been thrashed..maybe the owner decided to wind up 20psi one night then BANG...maybe he babied it all other times..maybe not...who knows.

Its a bit of a toss up...I bought my GTR for 5,000 and it turned out to be an immaculate example drivetrain-wise. You could buy similar, or it could be a complete piece of shit.

Make your decision based on the condition of the interior, engine bay cleanliness and general condition of the car.

I say go for it. 14k isnt too much, try and bargain him as much as you can to get further infront.

edit: 6k for a rebuild is a joke. Try 10-15k+. If you dont get it done by professionals in RB26s then you will have troubles for the rest of your life. I found out the hard way...second engine!

r33 gtr's can be had for mid 20k. the one you are looking at buying would want to be around 15k to even be worth doing. Even then id rather spend the extra 2 or so thousand and get one that is already running. Rebuilding an enginer would be a head f**K not too mention the wait and the trust that goes into the process.

half of the gtrs that get imported have been wound back, false graded i dont see why i should trust an auction sheet on a car that could blow within a month and be in the same boat.

The car is very clean all over, usual things like plenum and stuff all clean and the overall body.

Worst case i put an engine from a halfcut in it which i can get for 3k and drive it for abit while i get the other rebuilt.

but the reason i am asking you guys is that i havnt gone down this road before and i want some input on what i would be dealing with and is it worth it.

thanks for all your feedback

actually, i've changed my mind. it sounds like an awesome idea. I say go for it. buy this otherwise immaculate, non-wound back, good grade 33 GTR with blown engine, get the $3K halfcut or the $6K forged rebuild and please post a thread up about the process. it'll be great.

actually, i've changed my mind. it sounds like an awesome idea. I say go for it. buy this otherwise immaculate, non-wound back, good grade 33 GTR with blown engine, get the $3K halfcut or the $6K forged rebuild and please post a thread up about the process. it'll be great.

what i was getting at is that i can spend 20+ on a car at the auctions that i know nothing about which could come here with blown parts atleast if i can see the car in the flesh and it looks great all round and the engine is gone you dont think it is a good deal for 14k and have a car with a fresh engine after it all for mid 20's.

i asked a few people who had engines for sale on here and they said 3k just for the engine not for a halfcut just the engine out of one.

i rang places today in melbourne today and i hate to name drop rajab (4.5 for a standard rebuild) RE CUSTOMS (6k with forgies) so how am i talking shit you call them and ask yourself.

good to see the community supports me in this venture rather then hates on the idea.

thanks guys.

Edited by outlaw32