SAU Community

Advice on first car please - r34

I am 20, lookin to buy my first car soon

I got like 30k to spend on car year 98 atleast upwards

anyone owns a r34 here and is less than 25 yrs old, how much insurance with famous? cheapest available?

i am lookin into 98 r34 tiptronic non turbos for now prolly, coz the insurance aint as expenive, i saw some for 31k

for turbo r34s they r like 40k, shuld i go private or dealer or auction?

any help is appreciated ta

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im paying $3000 a year for a r33 gtst with no rating and im 20 in sydney, but as no one here works for sales with famous (i think) you probably should just ring them for a quote. For a Auto non turbo r34 it may be reasonable, compared to a turbo one anyway. Just dont get your hopes up, it still may be enough to send you broke.

gxeug,

Answer these questions before you get an R34 as a first car.

- How many of your friends have scratched, dented, dinged or had an accident in their cars since they started driving?

- How many of these cars have been lesser than an R34?

- Why do you think peoples first cars are usually old bombs, or cars that are not cool?

- Do you think that you would appreciate an R34 more after you own and properly learn to drive in a crappier car first? The same reason we appreciate Fine Restaurant food, because it's better than our standard of cooking at home?

pentae jus coz u didnt have a r34 or wateva as a first car..and jus coz many people with r34 as their first car have scratched it or hit it..doesnt mean gxeug will do the same. Im gonna get a skyline for my first car and boy i am gonna appreciate it..im gonna love it so hard.....and yes buy the r34 gxeug..dont let anyone discourage you in buying it.

i agree with driver and dangerous_daveo...buy the turbo...a skyline without a turbo isnt worth buying and also an auto..if u really want to buy an auto, non turbo car..dont get the skyline...!!!!insurance is goin to be a killer either way!! But anywayz the choice is yours and all i can say is good luck on the purchaSE!

Originally posted by Guilty

pentae jus coz u didnt have a r34 or wateva as a first car..and jus coz many people with r34 as their first car have scratched it or hit it..doesnt mean gxeug will do the same. Im gonna get a skyline for my first car and boy i am gonna appreciate it..im gonna love it so hard.....and yes buy the r34 gxeug..dont let anyone discourage you in buying it.

Mate how much do you know about your first car experience when you havn't even got your first car yet?

People don't scratch or hit their cars on purpose, it's part of the learning experience ;)

Go with the turbo dude, insurance between turbo and NA is dick all as ur already paying shit loads as its a sports car and import, ive been quoted a pathetic 60 dollars extra a year from just cars if i was to convert my car to a turbo.

EDIT: If ur nething like me, u will get very bored with an NA very quickly.

i'd say odds on you'll damage it or it will be forsale within 6 months unless you have loads of money. A car that does 0-100km/hr in about 6seconds is not a toy.

pentae put it well there..

It happens to pretty much everybody when they start driving, just one small scratch can cost you $1000, whereas on a shitter you just look, shrug and go "oh well" and keep driving. Happens to the best of drivers. What happens if you take it to a party and some dickhead keys it just cause they're drunk or something? or some mug decides to lie on the bonet trying to bang some chick, therefore destroying you're lovely paintwork. Don't do it. If you wait, you'll appreciate it more, and be able to afford it more.

I'd just go for a 32 if you must have a turbo, especially as your first one.

There is some wise advice in this thread.

Whether you choose to listen to it is up to you.

Of course you want a great car like an R34 - you're young & impatient.

But the facts are that people make most of their driving mistakes (especially the big, expensive ones) in their first few years of driving.

Personally I think driving an older cheaper car for a year or 2 while you get an insurance history is a good idea.

No-one here can stop you buying & driving whatever you choose.

Some of just just don't like to see other people making the same mistakes that we might have made.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Originally posted by jabtronic

Mate how much do you know about your first car experience when you havn't even got your first car yet?  

People don't scratch or hit their cars on purpose, it's part of the learning experience ;)

yes your right and so is pentae, that many people with no experience bang there first car..i totally agree and thus the reason why insurance is so expensive for U25. But you guys are generalising saying ALL first car owners will bang it. First car owners doesnt mean they have little to no experience. Some may have been driving another car for years e.g. parents car..before they can afford to buy their first car. Many have passed the "learning experience". This bloke is 20years old and im sure he has at least a yr or 2 of driving experience under his belt probally more. If this was a 16?17? year old driver den i would say totally agree with you, dont get a skyline. It jus seems to me that everyone keeps thinking that just coz its ur first car, den they jus automatically assumes that they have little to no experience at all. I'm just trying to point out the fact, dont generalise, because everyone's situation is different.

Whichever way you look at it your going to have to bend over and take it from the insurance company. So I say at least have some fun along the way.

Why stretch your budget to a NA R34 that looks great but you can't afford to insure it, fill it with petrol, pay for any repairs, go out on the weekend....etc

Go for a turbo 32 or 33, anywhere from $15,000 to $20,000, that way you have an extra ten or fifteen grand to spend on other shit (like alcahol, drugs, women etc). And its a turbo, so you won't get bored!

If you start small, with like a R32 or something early ninties, it still has loads of power, looks cool and will be hours of driving fun. Then in a couple of years you can sell it and buy something cooler.

Oh and stay the fudge away from auctions. DO NOT buy anything your mechanic has not had a damn good look over. And if the person selling you the car doesn't want you to have it checked out or assures you everything is above board (this applies for dealers as well) tell them to piss off go find something else. Also never rely solely on the kms on the odometer, many of them have been rolled back.

Good luck, be patient.

Originally posted by gxeug

I am 20, lookin to buy my first car soon

I got like 30k to spend on car year 98 atleast upwards

anyone owns a r34 here and is less than 25 yrs old, how much insurance with famous? cheapest available?

i am lookin into 98 r34 tiptronic non turbos for now prolly, coz the insurance aint as expenive, i saw some for 31k

for turbo r34s they r like 40k, shuld i go private or dealer or auction?  

any help is appreciated ta

i say go for it, but don't get an n/a spec skyline it is a waste of money go for turbo as some people said the cost of insurance is not that big. If i was you i would also buy a shitty car, (some crappy ford laser something between $0 - $2000 nothing more) u can use that car 2, go 2 party (so no drink ****s cant *** it uP). You are 20 so your driving skill should be pretty good, but the shitty car gives u just alittle more time 2 get better.

I say go for it! but remember u can't just think of the price of the car u got 2 add up the other cost;

Fuel

Fixing (body or engine parts will most likly need 2 be import)

Cops (they will pick on u)

Mods (once u start driving u will want 2 add this and that :))

Hope this helps!

If you really want a sports car as a first car.. and love Nissans.. (which we all do)

as a first car for under 10 grand you can't really go past a 1990 silvia ca18det .. you could pick a good model up for about $8000 and it will hold its value pretty well as the price has pretty much hit the bottom.

It's fast, rwd, probably almost as quick as a turbo skyline.. very affordable, will whip most other things on the road and costs 1/4 of the price of an r34 gtt. plus its light weight, fun to drive and will teach you a lot about cars and give you enormous amounts of driving experience.

If you ding it, scratch it or crash it or write it off.. which YOU WILL DO.. just buy another one. :(

:burnout:

After a few years when you know your limits and have earned your stripes, upgrade to a Skyline.

Originally posted by Guilty

yes your right and so is pentae, that many people with no experience bang there first car..i totally agree and thus the reason why insurance is so expensive for U25. But you guys are generalising saying ALL first car owners will bang it. First car owners doesnt mean they have little to no experience. Some may have been driving another car for years e.g. parents car..before they can afford to buy their first car. Many have passed the "learning experience". This bloke is 20years old and im sure he has at least a yr or 2 of driving experience under his belt probally more. If this was a 16?17? year old driver den i would say totally agree with you, dont get a skyline. It jus seems to me that everyone keeps thinking that just coz its ur first car, den they jus automatically assumes that they have little to no experience at all. I'm just trying to point out the fact, dont generalise, because everyone's situation is different.

Dude,

All the older guys here are doing is to try and give this lad some good advice. While it is true that everyone's situation is different and it is not good to generalise/sterotype, what are the chances that our friend here is different from everyone esle? I'd say the chances are less rather than more.

Personally i'd say go for a cheaper car first, say an old silvia or something. Even if you dont prang/scratch/screw up the car one way or another, at least with something cheaper and your mind at ease, you'd be able to explore the outer limits of the car and clean up your driving esp on these rwd beasts (And no please dont tell me you're good enough a driver...cos no one really is)

Let us also remember that most great race car drivers today started out on a shitbox...and they too admit that it was these pocs that taught them the most.

And remember, what ever budget you have prepared for maintence/repairs/mods etc (anything to do with the car), double it cos thats what you're actually going to spend.

I would say if the guy has got the money let him buy mine :) ,so where is he

Seriously I just got my insurance on my car $745 per year agreed value $40,000 $300 excess.I must addmit I am a bit on the old side so that may make the difference.You can pay it monthly as well.

I had a claim this year as well, instead of my insurance going up it actually went down.

I would say if the guy has got the money let him buy mine :) ,so where is he.

Seriously I just got my insurance on my car $745 per year agreed value $40,000 $300 excess plus one windscreen allowed.

I must addmit I am a bit on the old side so that may make the difference to the premium.

You can pay it monthly as well.By the way I have been with them 2 years now.

Probably a draw back some may say, you have to take your car to there recommended repairer.I was happy with the repairs on mine when I made a claim this year,no problems.My premium actually was less this year even after my claim.

I do not work or have anything to do with the insurance company nor do I get a commision.

So if any of you are interested indicate then I will post the Company and phone number.

I am not recommending this insurance company or saying they are any better then any other one. I am just letting you how they have dealt with my claims and how much I pay.