SAU Community

Advice on first car please - r34

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think pentae is right on the money.

However if i were in ure shoes id be getting my r34 asap :)

The ca-18det silvia is exactly what i would buy for my first car if i had my time again. They teach u the basics of a rwd sports car and they have a good feel to em. Drive one of those fr a year accident free and u will really learn alot about controling ure right foot and ure rear end.

In my opinion if u start off in a abs, traction control ,bling bling machine u will never learn to drive well. That stuff has to be learnt the hard way. Given that ure firend will think ure the coolest thing since teh hula hoop but u have to remeber that u have another 40-50 years of car drving before ure finished. ;)

"better to be a few minutes late in this life, than years early for the next"- air traffic controller

do not get a skyline as a first car, no matter how pimping the thought of it is.

you will damage it and end up unhappy, its just a fact.

get a cheaper car for a while and build up a rating, a s13 or something to get used to RWD + power.

trust us

edit:

i just realised this is exactly what pentae already said, even tho i hadnt read his post :-P has to tell you something

Yeh helps when u read the thread :)

We are not saying u are going to crash, dont buy the car.

But the reason ure insurance will be about 5k is because u run a very very high risk of doing exactly that. Also, as our friend with the toilet humor nic said, the purchase price of the car is just the beginning. I see alot of people sell their car in or after the first year because they budgeted for fuel and purchase price and thats it. I had an incident of me vs curb after my l337 driftin styles ;) (got it on vid though) and when insurance renewal came round they told me to go shove it. Cars are damn expensive, performance cars are insanely expensive.

Hey if u got the cash flow then i guess why not but if u dont wanna be spending 75% of ure income on the car its prolly not a good idea.

Hi gxeug

You know what, if you can afford it, go for it. I am a bit older (mid twenty) than u so I payed about 2500 this year for insurance for my r34 gt. I went with just cars because I didnt really want to go for famous even though a lot of people do. I had my old car a r33 gtst stolen which is why i paid so much for this years insurance.

I know a lot of the other guys are saying to get a r33 turbo but you will pay more for insurance and you will have to pay a LOT more for maintenace, i.e service 5000 kms and new tyres often, plus clutch and so forth (i know i did). I guess this is why you are choosing a non turbo.

And I know a non turbo is slower, but I dont understand why people say its not as much fun. My r33 was faster but I dont think by that much. R33 are too common for me these days and before anyone gets pissed at this comment, I loved my r33 and i would be driving it today if it hadnt been stolen.

But r34s are just different ... they IMHO just look more refined and just seem to do things better. Plus the interior is nicer and they pull heaps more looks from others. They are also newer and will have less wear and tear.

My r34 has a few light mods and I am just loving it. So I say to you if you can afford it go the r34.

Sure you might bang it up or whatever but honestly guys IF YOU COULD AFFORD IT AND WANTED TO BUY A NON TURBO car like our friend here wants to ......... would u buy anything else ???

I know i wouldnt

thanks guys, you guys are mad, heaps good mature advices

i been driving for like 3 yrs now , got off Ps for silvers a month ago, i love cars, juz like my dad, he owns a 911 turbo number plate glt 911, we always went drag and shit, thats what got me into cars, but life went shit this year, he died suddenly in hk off heart attack..the car is still in carsales atm tryin to sell for like 55k

its under 930 porsche in nsw

now no one is here to teach me abt buyin turbo cars, and driving manual espeicialy, thats why u guys so helpful in teaching me.

to the guy who got his gtst stolen, u the one livin in marsfield by anychance? the white one?

basically i onyl been drivin auto cressida in these years, no insurance history, but mum said she will lend me 20k, plus i will sell my cressida, so prolly get 28k max, but my mum will pad out the rest. prolly 31 k at the end

So me in dilema, i love r34 looks, but i got mixed responses here, i considered to get either s15 or my 99 wrexy if i have no chance gettin r34 gt auto even, since tney only 31k i saw.

well with non turbo i get to build up my insurance and less maintenance insurance etc, thats what lured me into it.

altho its non turbo i am happy with the looks of it :)

sorry for rant but me juz confused atm

if it is a choice between the cars you've listed, I reckon definitely the 34.. they're great.. juz don't also forget putting some of the money you have aside for investments and things, 'cause in a few years then you'd be able to buy whatever car you want.

yup we do sound like old folk sometimes :cheers:

Originally posted by Soulja

i say go for it, but don't get an n/a spec skyline it is a waste of money go for turbo

Comments like this just shit me off. THERE IS A SHITLOAD MORE TO SKYLINES THAN THE ****ING TURBO!!!! It's this guy's first car FFS. Skylines are nice cars, turbos or not. If he can afford an R34 non turbo then I don't see any problem other than insurance. I wouldn't recommend he get a Skyline for his first car, but it's his choice and being his first car I wouldn't say a non turbo is a waste of money. So why come up with useless bullshit comments like the above?

I guess the best advice would be, not to lock yourself into

looking at one type of car.

Go look and drive a whole range of cars...

Buy the one thats in the best condition, turbo or N/A, 32, 33, or 34

200sx, whatever...there are heaps to choose from.

Drive as many as you can, eventually you will find one that

you just love the feel of. If you buy a car you truly love

you won't mind forking out the cash. No one can tell you what to buy...

We can only help you avoid the pitfalls.

Enjoy looking for a car, it can be lots of fun and there is no rush.

Hes not getting the most out of an n/a is all. The engine was built to be turboed.:cheers:

Good advice there NickR33, take ure time, dont but the first car you see.

Oh and i had to ask, whats with the nic? gxeug?? :confused:

thanks for all ur advices

i am lookin into NA purely for the sake of insurance and other expenses etc

i am still in uni, part time job, so i gotta consider insurance and petrol and maintenance for turbo car since i will be lookin to pay it all myselgf

gxeug? i cbf finkin of login so i used my counetr strike clan tag

http://gx.qgl.org

:)

gxeug.

Dont discount a turbo s13 as a first car. The 8k you're going to get for your cressida means you could put the money your mum is going to lend you into shares or a deposit on some property. The way you spend this money will affect the next 10 years of your life.

Go to http://www.pandablue.com/nissansilvia and ask the Sydney boys there if they can take you for a drive one night.

Then in two years when you've doubled your money by investing smart you can go buy an R34 GTR. Make sense?

It all comes down to what you want out of the car.

My self I prefer pedal to the metal with tyres that struggle for traction through the first couple of gears, the punch you get from the turbo in its peak torque range as you nail it out of a round about. :) Can't afford a R34 GTT so the R32 will suffice.

But if power wasn't a concern and I could afford an NA R34, I would.

The R34 does have a classy look to it.

My advice is don't waste to much money on insurance every year especially if it is a NA.

As long as you turn your driving habits in to a type of obsessive compulsive concentration disorder you shouldn't ding the car.

If it does get dinged and some one else hit you well, thats what insurance is for.

I've been pretty lucky really with no accidents, my first car that I owned until I was 18 was a TE 250 4 Speed Cortina, that I hooned in.. :) Fun car that was. Burnout machine.. remember the day i blew my diff and it was clicking as I drove.... "DAD the brakes on the rear of the car are clicking, I was driving down the street and it started making the strange noise." when he first saw me drive it up the driveway to show him "Have you been doing burn-outs Joel" "erm... no" hehe

It was a decent burnout.. Spun first up clicked second reved second out and sat it on 90km's on the spedo as I crept it out the car park up the road to the round about as it started to go through the round about thats where the diff let go :(

Only open wheeler though.

Reminiscing.......... :burnout:

thanks to the replies

so tru, that guy striked me bad :)

i might actually save up for now, buy sum cheap manual car to learn and get better ratings

but whats a cheap fast reliable car to buy, it will be the same if i have to spend heaps on maintenance..

s13? 180?

I can't really vouch for the silvia's or 180sx's but they should be pretty strong.

The R32 i've had over the last 2 years has been extremely reliable. The only problem i've had is the radiator's top tank cracking which cost $100 to fix. Oh also the clutch master cyclinder which over 100,000km's really is a maintaince thing as is the cam belt at 100,000kms. The Clutch master cyclinder cost me $67 from memory.

They are a strong car that you can keep slapping the gears and launching without any problems. If you look around on the forum there isn't really any drive line issues or reliablity issues at all.

You do get the odd afm or coil issue but it isn't that common.

Yeah.........what everyone else says!:D

ok seriously, i bought a n/a skyline for my first car and in a way i kinda regret not buying a turbo in the first place! dont get me wrong n/a's are still great cars but really i only bought it 2 save on insurance like you want 2 do but in the end it woulda only been a couple hundred more in insurance for a turbo which is worth it i reckon!

But then again starting out with a n/a car has probably been a good thing as now i now i wont kill myself when i get a turbo and the money ive saved on petrol and insurance is now going towards my next car............a R34GTT:)

In conclusion, i wish id known about these forums b4 i bought my car so i could have gotten advice from everyone before making my decision as i really didnt have a clue about imports at the time but i am now well prepared to move on to my next Skyline:D

hope that helps you:)