SAU Community

Gtr Haters

Godcla

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was there some sort of controversy that porsche sparked up when nissan revealed the nurburgring lap time??? can someone enlighten me, or provide a link?

Killer. I took my wife out for our first sat night cruise in the R35. We decided to take a little spin up the freeway after dinner & just happened to pull up next to a bright red GT3 & an XR V8 ute at the lights at the bottom.

What a dust up......... brilliant car. My two R33 GTRs have heaps more power but this R35 is so refined

& feels really fast. Amazing thing is it is going even faster than it feels!

My first encounter......... Porsche 0 Nissan 1

Also like being able to pull up next to cops & not having to worry about defect (bit of a problem in a 500+kw

external wastegate GTR!)

I am going to enjoy getting to know this car.

I have only had one very late model 911 next to me and I think he knew it was going to be one sided and behaved himself and stayed just in my quater panel...I can't get any serious takers.....I think they are all in the know...... :P

Some more Pics of Exige 240R Mods....

Pan.....AP Rotors going on....and pile of 240R SC Kit straight from Lotus Sport UK....

Fantastic garages fellas, would love to know what both of you do for a crust!

The R35 is a quantum leap ahead as far as a package is concerned. But for me it doesn't change the fact that the Porsches are still amazing cars. The R35 is beating Porsche at its own game with the 911 Turbo I suppose, but the GT3 is meant to be feted as 'the' essence of Porsche, and yet it's still a very different car to the Turbo and R35. So I can't see why someone wouldn't want to own both a GT3 and R35 at the same time.

" But for me it doesn't change the fact that the Porsches are still amazing cars."

Porsche have made a name for them selfs over many years of racing and making damn fine sports cars but

they have now been threatened by other car manufacturer’s and may no longer be the wisest choice for your hard earned $.....but maybe

for the rich that want the prestige to go with the badge/name......

For me I want the best package for my dollars .........R35

Just remember that the Porsche Cayman S is in the same Price bracket as the R35 and I can tell you that

their is no comparison......it's been said a thousand times....got to spend well over 300k with Porsche

and then the R35 will still do it easier....safer and faster.....

Edited by Godcla

Porsches were always my dream car. I was going to get a new 4S before they announced the GTR, however after driving the 4S I was a little disappointed. I then drove the Turbo...loved it but not the price tag.

Hence that is why I am driving the GTR...while not as quality a finish as the Porsche it is certainly the best value for money performance car I have ever owned.

As a bit of a Porsche-o-phile myself, im actually a little suprised that these GT-R haters are also Porsche fans. I reckon the GT-R and 911 Turbo are kindred spirits, one from Japan one from Germany but both dripping in technology , refinement, awd ability and ballistic speed. Like some on this forum I always imagined R35 owners would also own a Porsche or an AMG Mercedes or a BMW M.

I'd have thought the main opposition would come from the V8 muscle car brigade where ya Corvette, Mustang, Dodge lovers would be most threatened, I get this feeling looking at US forums and redneck car shows like Piston Heads. In Australia there is the HSV/FPV crowd. HSV even have a car that costs the SAME as a GT-R, but makes claim as the ultimate track car . Then there was the arse raping Nissan GT-R did to Ford and Holden in the 90's. All strikes me as slightly odd.

If I could I definately have a GT-R and a 911 in my garage..but admitedly if it was one car and one car only the GT-R is very hard to go past.

" but admitedly if it was one car and one car only the GT-R is very hard to go past. "

For sure.......for your Money it's the best by far.....behind the wheel it's safer faster and has more technology and also not as common as Porsches are these days....

Porsches were always my dream car. I was going to get a new 4S before they announced the GTR, however after driving the 4S I was a little disappointed. I then drove the Turbo...loved it but not the price tag.

Hence that is why I am driving the GTR...while not as quality a finish as the Porsche it is certainly the best value for money performance car I have ever owned.

Gibbo, at the risk of feeling a little silly here (knowing you own a GT-R), I've had a good look at both GT-R and 911 and from the outside at least what really impressed me was the level of fit, finish and paint quality of the GT-R exterior, it would be hard to pick anything between it and a Porsche. Interior wise there are some console switches on the GT-R which aren't the very best, but I thought it was a reasonably close match internally too. I guess the fabulous display screen in the GT-R gives the dash a bit of an ungainly shape, but I thought the rest was all first class. The difference with the Porsche is the incredible level of customisation and you can really put togther a sensational looking interior....but at a cost....

Interior wise there are some console switches on the GT-R which aren't the very best, but I thought it was a reasonably close match internally too.

The difference with the Porsche is the incredible level of customisation and you can really put togther a sensational looking interior....but at a cost....

I think you have answered your own question a little, however the things I noticed with the 911 Turbo were:

- Cabbin noise was less

- Full leather seats with beatutiflly soft leather

- Sunroof option (very minor I know)

- Generally it was just a very high standard on everything.

Not that the GTR is rubbish, completely the opposite, the GTR is very well finished as well, just not as well as the Porsche. The extra quality from the Porsche was certainly not worth the price..hence the purchase choice I made.

As a bit of a Porsche-o-phile myself, im actually a little suprised that these GT-R haters are also Porsche fans. I reckon the GT-R and 911 Turbo are kindred spirits, one from Japan one from Germany but both dripping in technology , refinement, awd ability and ballistic speed. Like some on this forum I always imagined R35 owners would also own a Porsche or an AMG Mercedes or a BMW M.

I'd have thought the main opposition would come from the V8 muscle car brigade where ya Corvette, Mustang, Dodge lovers would be most threatened, I get this feeling looking at US forums and redneck car shows like Piston Heads. In Australia there is the HSV/FPV crowd. HSV even have a car that costs the SAME as a GT-R, but makes claim as the ultimate track car . Then there was the arse raping Nissan GT-R did to Ford and Holden in the 90's. All strikes me as slightly odd.

If I could I definately have a GT-R and a 911 in my garage..but admitedly if it was one car and one car only the GT-R is very hard to go past.

Why would the muscle car brigade feel threatened? Within a week of the R35 setting its fantastic Nurburgring time a ZR1 was shipped over to beat the R35 at its own game. Then a Dodge Viper made it's way over and set the production car record. Not to mention the muscle car brigade are stereotyped to only enjoy straight line antics, in which case, there is no contest.

Arse raping of what, exactly? Race cars based on family sedans? That must be a real shiny medal to wear for the track version of an all wheel drive sports car...

Why would the muscle car brigade feel threatened? Within a week of the R35 setting its fantastic Nurburgring time a ZR1 was shipped over to beat the R35 at its own game. Then a Dodge Viper made it's way over and set the production car record. Not to mention the muscle car brigade are stereotyped to only enjoy straight line antics, in which case, there is no contest.

Arse raping of what, exactly? Race cars based on family sedans? That must be a real shiny medal to wear for the track version of an all wheel drive sports car...

Birds, the muscle car Corvette boys have been screaming blue murder over the GT-R in the states since day one (look at the forums). Piston Heads even rented a C5 or C6 corvette and put a nitrous kit on it, becuase with GREAT FRUSTRATION the presenter just could not believe what the R35 can do what it does, he looks like one of those big 'West Coast Chopper' heros ....and even then the Nitrous Vette was beaten in a 1/4 mile drag race by a std GT-R.

The Zr-1 did indeed pip the GT-R at the post at the Nurburgring, very impressive...but 250kg lighter/200 more NM and 120 more KW...and guess what?, a stock GT-R matched the ZR-1's 7.26min time anyway....and it costs as much as a Z06 in the States...believe me, this has caused much angst. As for the Viper ACR, yes "production car" that's done the nurburgring 2-3 scs or so quicker than a regular GT-R?. all this from a no holds barred race car with a set of number plates. I'll ask you would you care to take the Zr-1/ACr Viper to its limits in anything other than perfect track conditions...or any conditions for that matter? with a bit of wind or dust or water on the track only the very brave and very talented will extract anywhere near 100%.

As for the GT-R's in 1990-92, were they not to Group A specification? ....as were the Commodores, Sierra's and M3's it competed against?

If I recall the R32 GT-R's werehandicapped by weight ballasts and HP restrictions in the later seasons so as to give its competitors a chance? Let me know if I have got anything wrong here...

All looks right to me.Well done.

We all love cars though & if I could I would have lots more cars in the shed just for the fun of owning them.

I think the 997 turbo is one of the sexiest cars on the planet & would love to have one in the shed. From my limited experience with Porsches I think they are more comfortable to drive regularly & the R35 is pretty hard to live with for a daily drive (have done 400km in the last 3 days around town & have found it a bit hard). Be great if they werent so bloody dear!!! $350k vs $180k does not make sense really but will be interesting to see what happens to used values on Porsche.

I would kill to get a new Camaro in the garage (of course would get some forced induction etc on it) they are a great looking car & would be heaps of fun to drive.

Ultimately there is no perfect compromise between what we all want - a comfortable daily driver that we can take to the track on the weekend & cut sick with. I think for now the R35 is a pretty good shot at it.

Birds, the muscle car Corvette boys have been screaming blue murder over the GT-R in the states since day one (look at the forums). Piston Heads even rented a C5 or C6 corvette and put a nitrous kit on it, becuase with GREAT FRUSTRATION the presenter just could not believe what the R35 can do what it does, he looks like one of those big 'West Coast Chopper' heros ....and even then the Nitrous Vette was beaten in a 1/4 mile drag race by a std GT-R.

The Zr-1 did indeed pip the GT-R at the post at the Nurburgring, very impressive...but 250kg lighter/200 more NM and 120 more KW...and guess what?, a stock GT-R matched the ZR-1's 7.26min time anyway....and it costs as much as a Z06 in the States...believe me, this has caused much angst. As for the Viper ACR, yes "production car" that's done the nurburgring 2-3 scs or so quicker than a regular GT-R?. all this from a no holds barred race car with a set of number plates. I'll ask you would you care to take the Zr-1/ACr Viper to its limits in anything other than perfect track conditions...or any conditions for that matter? with a bit of wind or dust or water on the track only the very brave and very talented will extract anywhere near 100%.

As for the GT-R's in 1990-92, were they not to Group A specification? ....as were the Commodores, Sierra's and M3's it competed against?

If I recall the R32 GT-R's werehandicapped by weight ballasts and HP restrictions in the later seasons so as to give its competitors a chance? Let me know if I have got anything wrong here...

A C series Corvette? What happened to the ZR1? That's where the Corvette boys have "nothing to worry about" so to speak. Sure, they'll probably never own a ZR1, but 99% of people on the other side of the debate will never own an R35 either.

Here we go again with the weight and power advantages. What about the endless list of advantages the R35 has over the ZR1? All wheel drive...6 speed dual clutch transmission...launch control...I can try to list them all if you like? The ACR and the ZR1 have been to Nurburgring once...the R35 has been back to try and best them. It still isn't happening. I'm still waiting on the V-Spec...I'm still waiting. Because for all the endless threads in defence of the R35 against the ZR1 and the ACR around the Nurburgring, all I keep seeing is "just wait for the V-Spec" etc. What many R35 fans don't like to hear is that a country famous for building straight line heroes that are hopeless around the bends, can produce vehicles every bit on performance par with Japan's finest, using half the technology in half the time. For all the technology and time that went into the R35...a Dodge Viper...a car with a truck engine, reputably once the world's worst handling supercar, topped it. And race car with numberplates or not, it is a production car. The car would not be allowed to sell if it could not be driven on the road safely and confidently. The R35 is built with too much compromise...a 12 year old could match your quarter mile times in it. That's where it "fails" as a race car. Seconds mean everything in a race, you should know that. Afterall, it was by seconds that the R35 first laid claim to having one up on the Porsche stable. Do you have any idea how hard it is to shave even a second off a time when every corner has been taken flawlessly and the car driven to its limits?

Yes, the R32 was to Group A specification. I'm not denying the R32 won its races fair and square according to the homologation at the time. It dominated, no doubt about it. But the reason the rules were changed? Anyone and everyone could see that Commodores and Falcons should never have been in the same class as the R32. My mother knows that one. Like I said before, it's a race prepped family sedan vs. a car derived from the track, and built from the ground up to be not much less. Races get boring when it's the same expected win over and over...it's like putting a middleweight boxer against a heavyweight. What's the point in having more than one fight? The choice was to either make two local manufacturers develop a whole new platform specifically for that race in order to remain competitive (someone find me a marketing budget please?), or rule out the import and force them to adapt or withdraw. The choice is somewhat logical. You add to this that many of the teams were all too happy to ditch the R32 because replacing the engine nearly every race meant they cost three times as much to maintain as a V8 supercar. And given a lack of major sponsorship / interest during those times, the teams simply couldn't afford it.

Would be real interesting to see the ZR1 take on the R35 in a Group N style production race, like any of the 12-24hr races in the US and Europe. I am betting the ZR1 would outlast the GTR, even if over a single lap or in wet conditions the GTR would be quicker.

But, honestly, they are both BS quick cars...the fact that the Vette takes a bit mroe driving means to me you wont get so bored of hammering it at the track so quick. Frankly the repeatability of the GTRs speed makes it an awesome peice of kit....but to idiots like me that like POS and flawed cars i will always go for the styling and charm of a car like the Vette...after all "the Vette gets em wet"

Birds, you may remember that the R32 GT-R actually spent more time racing Ford Sierra Cosworths rather than Ford Falcons but that's another story....

I still say that the V8 boys (be they Australian or American) are the 'natural' GT-R haters, in the same way they would hate a Porsche.

As for the GT-R V-Spec, I'm curious but not that interested to see what it does at the nuburbring but not obsessed. Why? Becuase the 'regular' GT-R is a 4 seat leather clad GT/Sports car at a 'bargain' price. The V-Spec, is another 2 seat quasi race car, with $50K carbon-cermamic brakes and a mega price tag to match. Like the V-Spec Both the Zr-1 and Viper ACR are measurably more expensive than the 'normal' GT-R ,furthermore they are far more limited for day to day applications be it on road or track. All said and done despite massive power/torque and weight advantages the GT-R runs neck and neck with them...as it does with the GT2.