SAU Community

Clicking Sound From Wheels On Hard Turning

09GTR

A friend of mine told me that at about 3000 kms his R35 started "clicking" loudly from the wheels on hard cornering. Well, on que, at almost exactly 3000 kms mine has started doing the exact same thing - and I havent even driven the car that hard. Sounds break-related. Does anyone else have this problem, or a remedy?

A friend of mine told me that at about 3000 kms his R35 started "clicking" loudly from the wheels on hard cornering. Well, on que, at almost exactly 3000 kms mine has started doing the exact same thing - and I havent even driven the car that hard. Sounds break-related. Does anyone else have this problem, or a remedy?

It sounds like the ball joints under pressure are you turning at full lock when this clicking sound happens. :(

check the nuts on the wheel, sounds odd with unrelated cars (mine being an R33) but had a similar problem, mine were clicking and i checked it all out and the nuts were loose.

I had exactly the same noise when turning right at higher speeds, a couple of runs through Galston Gorge revealed this. The strange thing though is that the noise is now gone, I do not know what has changed.

On a side note just for readers information, there is a rattle noise from the front of the car when I go over a bump, this combined with with clicking when turning raised some flags. Anyhow after some inspections I found the issue for the rattle when going over the bumps, the top steel pin that goes through the caliper is a floating pin and vibrates and rattles.

I am curious who else has seen this.

Cheers

post-57732-1244937324_thumb.png

Edited by Gibbo_R35

I had exactly the same noise when turning right at higher speeds, a couple of runs through Galston Gorge revealed this. The strange thing though is that the noise is now gone, I do not know what has changed.

On a side note just for readers information, there is a rattle noise from the front of the car when I go over a bump, this combined with with clicking when turning raised some flags. Anyhow after some inspections I found the issue for the rattle when going over the bumps, the top steel pin that goes through the caliper is a floating pin and vibrates and rattles.

I am curious who else has seen this.

Cheers

Thanks Gibbo, interestingly the noise has not reappeared today on my car either. I havent had the rattle noise.

• 7 months later...

I've had this clicking noise surface recently.

It seems the USA boys thinks it is one of these:

1. Missing top pad retaining SPRING (the front calipers usually only have one of these)

2. Rattling pad retaining PIN (as mentioned above)

3. Loose tie rod ends

Did you guys resolve this and/or had it resurface?

I'll add another one to this. I had the problem appear at around 9000 kms and took it in to Nissan. They said they spoke to Japan and diagnosed it as the fully floating rotor making noise because some anti-seize grease they use between it and the hub had washed out. Anyway they replaced it with a non genuine compound as they didn't have the proper stuff in stock and it lasted a week before the noise reappeared. I'm now on 17,000 kms and about to take it back in as I want that looked at as well as my MFD backlight dying on hot days as well as my interior mirror developing a droop on 40+ days after a day in the sun. I'll see if I have that retaining clip installed tonight and suggest that to them as well the tie rod end when I drop it off this week.

I've had this clicking noise surface recently.

It seems the USA boys thinks it is one of these:

1. Missing top pad retaining SPRING (the front calipers usually only have one of these)

2. Rattling pad retaining PIN (as mentioned above)

3. Loose tie rod ends

Did you guys resolve this and/or had it resurface?

No top pin anti rattle spring found and that upper pin clicks loudly with a similar sound when I push it side to side. To me it seems the obvious fault/problem. See what Nissan thinks...

Out of interest i put the car up on stands today, and started t up, put it in gear, bit of throttle, turned full lock (left) and no clicking. So when there is no load on the wheels/suspension i dont get the clicking. Might be a clue... anyway i am going to be taking a closer look over the next few days, just ran out of time today.

I'm no R35 mechanic (just a normal mechanic anyway :down: ) but a click on full lock is normally worn out CV joints. Has anyone actually got to the bottom of this problem yet?

Yes I can see how you would think that, that was my first suspicion as well but the Nissan Tech had a listen and said it definitely didn't sound like CVs. Plus a fiddle with the brakes and it gets better immediately, albeit temporarily in my case. In fact last night by just playing with the pins and moving them back and forth stopped the problem for about the first 20 mins of this morning's drive before they must've shifted again to their favourite rattling position! The sound from the pin when manually rattled does sound a lot like the click you hear whilst driving and the US guys seem to be convinced that the anti rattle spring omission seems to be the problem..

i havent read all the posts or the links, but ive had cars with similar issues (NOT R35) and with these cars its either a Faulty brake assembly (uneven ware on one pad), CV joints or a worn/broken wheel bearing..... ive eevn had a car with diff probs making a similar sound but for the rear of the car, and even the power steering...

Like i was saying i was getting the clicking, just turning left. Put the car up on stands and with no load on the wheel, and with wheel turning...no ticking. Anyway i had to replace the pads anyway... So i did remove the pad pins and re-install again. Also the tie rod end nut was not very tight, i could tighten a couple of turns. After i did all this and put it all back together the noise was gone! So unfortunately i can't isolate where the noise was coming from exactly. It's either the tie rod or something related to the caliper. It doesnt look like a stuffed CV. Interestingly also, i noticed the tie rod end cotter pin can rattle around, when you move it with your finger it sounds a hell of a lot like the noise in question.... tick tick tick... so i tapped it down tighter. Anyway the noise is totally gone for now i will let you know if it comes back. Relieved it's not a CV.

Edited by LSX-438

Was informed by Main North Nissan today that they have three owners with the clicking problem at the moment and are narrowing down the cause on a test mule. So they told me to hold off bringing in mine till they sort it out. I told them about the info available on the US forums regarding missing top anti rattle springs and loose tie rod ends and it appeared to be news to them! We'll see if they can come up with a permanent fix soon.