SAU Community

ZED and GTR Challenge

Last Sat at Oran Park my zed tt broke the lap time record for the south circuit of any GTR that has been to our many track days or that I am aware of as did a 48.36. The best time that has been put down over the many track days we have run there and by many serious GTR's was Gary Burchet in his big single turbo 300kw at wheels R32 with Hollinger Sequential box which did a 48.73.

It may be only a boat with standard turbo's and as per popular opinion should not be able to do this but it did and does. So balls in your court guys to get a GTS-T or GTR to beat this time. So Merli or other have your go.

Just to let you know I am very confident the car is good for a 47 sec with a few small changes and a rear wing addition.

Anyone know of better times that GTR's have done properly timed at Oran?

PS It does have a Nismo R32 GTR diff and GTR water pump pulley.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh great time John... but...

Not detracting form the time but even though it uses std turbos there isnt much else standard about it. Suspension/ tyres/ chassis/ ECU, hell does it still have aircon as it doesnt have much in the way of an interior.

So not having a shot, as i rate your ZED, just dont want ppl to get the idea that any stock 300ZX could go close to this time.

Still great to see someone running great times in something other then a GTR or GT3.

I was driving and yes car has lots of mods but not as much as the GTR's it was running against as most had lots more. Yes it had slicks although they were very worn out, mainly the rear ones. With new slicks it should be a second faster.

The time that Bruce Jones did was actually Warren Luff who if he drove my car would also be in the 47 sec.

My car runs Autronic with CDI, and all the other GTR's running did also, at least the ones under 50 sec at our days have Autronic, Apexi or other computers, and all had big brakes and suspension etc. It does have a R32 GTR Nismo diff and 6 piston brakes and good suspension set up, although much more to be done. I have no rear seat and took out passenger seat but this is not a biggy and no air con. Still has lots of weight to get out of it but then don't want excuses to start.

Yes I have been racing for many years and to compare apples with apples needs same driver to compare cars. The other GTR times are also good drivers. I did have a V in the morning for only the second time donated by the tow truck driver maybe that was it but I promise none went in the fuel tank.

I know it is hard to believe, but no secrets and if you really want to know moded zed TT s are equal to or actually better circuit cars than GTR's. GTR is better road car for sharp corners and take offs and short burst of speed on often uneven surfaces where traction kicks in.

Zeds are 70mm wider wheel track than R33 GTR and 50mm wider than 32's, much better weight distribution and aerodynamics, lower centre of gravity, less lag and more grunt as 3 litre quad cam. Although a standard zed will be beaten in every way by a standard GTR, drag or circuit. But a modded zed against a modded GTR and it is interesting.

If anyone wants to beat this time in any GTR then go for it. I will take my hat of to you. Might add my zeds times will be dropping soon. Wakefield is next and should do 1 min 5s. Fastest GTR time there that I know of is Warran Luff driving Gibson Motorsport powered GTR 1 min 6.1. Although this track is more of a 4wd tight & twisty but we will see. http://gtr.com.au/images/jpeczed1.jpg[/img]

Originally posted by Boosted Zed

. I did have a V in the morning for only the second time donated by the tow truck driver maybe that was it but I promise none went in the fuel tank.

are you sure its safe for someone your age to be drinking V?..:D

But seriously,

Glad to see someone so dedicated to the Z and motorsport in general.well done John

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!...

"So Merli or other have your go."

Well done John... My GTR is nowhere near competitive with your Zed, nor my driving skill upto the task, so don't expect me to be breaking that time anytime soon :)

Well done ;)

Yes it has 305 slicks rear end 245 front. The rear were very warn though. Left overs from Johnathon Web who uses them on his GT3 Tekno Motorsports race car. He tells me they are about a sec slower than when they are new and I had done a day at Eastern Creek in them prior to day at Oran and basically I think worse than road tyres on the day. The other GTR's either had slicks or at worst semi slicks which would have been better than what was on my rear that day as lots of wheel spin.

My zed makes 263 kw at the wheels on Opti Max and yes I was using World Rally fuel on the day, which is nothing fantastic only 102 ron but got some cheap. I had timing cranked up about another 5 degrees and felt like lots more power so may have been 280kw at wheels. Before you wonder or go there yes the other GTR's at Oran Park track days were doing same or some run much higher octane fuel.

The original post was to throw out the challenge to get more to the track to have a go with, and to make a point of interest. I can clearly understand how it may not fit with certain beleifs not so much that GTR's are untouchable but Zeds are boats and owned by those who wear cardigans and smoke a pipe.

Bottom line, if I did exact same mods to a GTR or GTS-T with same conditions etc with me driving, so apples for apples, at best it would do a 49 sec. I challenge anyone to get a GTR under 50 secs with standard turbo's no matter what else you do to it. Also S15s set up well with good driver are also real condenders.

If you are wondering how my lap times were reduced by almost two seconds a lap since last track day at Oran it was mainly due to custom dual Eibach springs which are much softer than the Tein HA's which I had in rear and way too heavy. Front are still too heavy but not too bad and saving up for them. I also did not have a V last track day.

Merli or others looking forward to future track days.

If you want more details check link.:(

Hey John,

So now you have thown down the gauntlet - I will too !

SAU-NSW have organised Advanced Driver training with the view to final outcome of CAMS C3 licences for those who participate and wish to take the training the whole way...

(see here: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...25&pagenumber=1 )

Not everyone is as old *cough* *cough* I mean experienced as you - so let SAU-NSW get a few 'young guns' trained, a bit of experience under their belts - and I'm sure the Skyrods will be kicking the fat zed slot car's arse ! :) :)

PS I include myself in the bunch of in-experienced wannabe track day racers that is gonna kick that Z of yours off your 48.36 sec pedestal. :(:P:P:)

So what do we need to do to reach my objectives John ? :) :) Let's chat over a 'V' :) :)

Hi B-man,

As a new member and an old sailor, ( I own a Z32, 3 Litre speedboat):burnout: , may I respectfully suggest that in answer to your question,

"So what do we need to do to reach my objectives John ? ",

perhaps a visit to your Bank followed by a second, to UAS, could see you in a Z32, with a considerably improved chance of achieving that lofty goal.:P :P :)

Ahhh!....The sweet smell of the salt air...the crash of the waves :(

Hey....your average car enthusiast dosen't have as much money as some others to get their car quick on a track...

take the standard GTR and the standard Zed, make some minor mods, run em on the street and the GTR is king...

With enough money, u can make almost any car quick....

Hi John, its Troy Brisby.

When are you heading down to Wakefield next .

Im hoping for a high 1:10 on road rubber, if i can afford some D01Js or slicks then im hoping for a mid-low 1:09 (perhaps high 1:08s) ... and there is no way i can wait until your track day next April. Although it is getting very warm... so maybe shou wait until autumn.

Originally posted by Boosted Zed

snip.......

if I did exact same mods to a GTR or GTS-T with same conditions etc with me driving, so apples for apples,  at best it would do a 49 sec.  I challenge anyone to get a GTR under 50 secs with standard turbo's no matter what else you do to it.  

haha john, you're stirring everyone up here.

I'm sure a stock GTR can get around OP South in under 50 sec, I've done 51 flat in my stock GTST. And the combined touring (production cars) are doing .51s (commodores, the gtr hasn't done south circuit yet)

If anyone's got a GTR to lend, I'll give it a go.....

*cough* akira *cough* :(