SAU Community

Take This Zr1 Fans

SkyDragon

If I am not mistaken it was the VS GTS and the Blue Printed GTS-R that came in yellow. The SV5000 came in British Racing Green.

I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Cheers

My bad... I got it all mixed up... Its been a while since they were for sale new... :P

The SV5000 was the green one and the GTS-R was the yellow one...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am not mistaken it was the VS GTS and the Blue Printed GTS-R that came in yellow. The SV5000 came in British Racing Green.

I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Cheers

You are correct Gibbo, the SV5000 was also a VN (not VS) and it also came in a Rose Grey colour.

Max_STR, Also im unsure about this VX GTS you speak off... It must have been an aftermarket walkinshaw build or something... As HSV never directly marketed the car via dealerships, similar to the current "super clubby" or the old VS model called the "SV5000" which came in yellow only... All built by HSV and then supp'ed up by pro-torque aka walkinshaw

You are kidding me aren't you? The HSV GTS 300kW first appeared in 2000 with the VT2! It had the pretty multispoke wheels. The VX GTS 300 was built in fairly limited numbers, but it was readily available to the public! Hell, I even test drove one at Ferntree Gully Holden in 2001! It had the 19" 5 spoke alloys that were temporarily removed from the market as the Bridgstone tyres did not work very well with them. The 19" wheels were re-introduced with Pirelli PZero's...does that ring a bell?

if not this should...

http://www.quickhsv.com/vx.html

So i could sit here all day and argue with you Max, but there is no point...

Like this video/thread there is no point...

as for a defined responce to the video topic at hand... (ie back on topic)

maybe the ZR1 driver was distracted by a big boobs blonde in the passenger seat...

maybe the gtr driver put in some v-tec yo...

maybe the ZO6 tail car used diesel which is where his extra performance came from...

You are kidding me aren't you? The HSV GTS 300kW first appeared in 2000 with the VT2!

Yeah, I can remember it now... Twas a Callaway engine package...

Then sold under HSV... So was not factory HSV... Just like (as I said before) the super clubby, Sv5000, GTS-R... etc etc

now we are just arguing symantics... (bang head here)

..COLGTS-X, I actually never made any particular reference to the modified GT-R's straightline mumbo compared to the ZR-1 in that video, no argument there. Both are STUPIDLY FAST. I made comments about how one has advantages over the other for the buyer/driver in a range of conditions and how they are percieved by the buying public and the quality of a Chev vs Nissan.... but not on the particular outcome of the posted video.

I was most curious to hear how you claimed the ZR-1's were being sold off for $80K USD...and GTR's at their full retail of $80K USD. I actually said "anything is possible" -if you remember, I did think it was unlikely, BUT I said if this was the case I put forth my theory as to why this would be, based on my experience in the motor industry.

Intersted to see that you can get near identical straightline performance out of a GT-R (to the ZR-1)...but modifed cars don't really interest me all that much.

Well Max its called trust... Thats how you know what price they are my friend...

(edit) As to how i know... like i sad eariler a family member worked over there for 4 months and eneded up buyign a car rather than renting... He commented when he got back that he could have bought a ZR1 for 80k, as they had them in the showroom at the chev dealership with fluro marker pen on the wind screen... Like all chevs at the moment you can buy one for 15 to 25% off RRP...

Having worked in sales now for 11 years, when a product becomes aged or slow moving many retailers and wholesalers will go well and truly below their cost price just to get stock to turn over... It happens every day here in Australia also, just not to the extent of the US car market is right now...

Note: The term below cost, generally does not include any rebates or kick backs... So rarely does a company actually loose money overall...

I think we both agree all are nice cars, the video is a bit weird as the three cars should be rather separated at 200kph but anyway which was my point...

Yeah, I can remember it now... Twas a Callaway engine package...

Then sold under HSV... So was not factory HSV... Just like (as I said before) the super clubby, Sv5000, GTS-R... etc etc

now we are just arguing symantics... (bang head here)

The engine was indeed tweaked by Callaway but as far as the buying public and HSV was concerned it was simply the top of the range HSV, the GTS 300, it wasn't an option pack or a special order vehicle at all. I think you are still a little confused. I hate to be padantic about these thing but I guess this is part of my job ............

Well Max its called trust... Thats how you know what price they are my friend...

Having worked in sales now for 11 years, when a product becomes aged or slow moving many retailers and wholesalers will go well and truly below their cost price just to get stock to turn over... It happens every day here in Australia also, just not to the extent of the US car market is right now...

Note: The term below cost, generally does not include any rebates or kick backs... So rarely does a company actually loose money overall...

I think we both agree all are nice cars, the video is a bit weird as the three cars should be rather separated at 200kph but anyway which was my point...

Yes, anecodotal evidence, I'm fine with that...'Birds' however was quite adamant this was not the case and funnily enough directed his argument towards me as if it was I who had suggested it in the first place!. I actually hear all kinds of crazy stuff happening in the motor industry, stuff I know and can't repeat here....

I lactually like the Zr-1 and Z06 too (Z06 sounds great), I wouldn't buy one, (I'd buy the GT-R) but I can appreciate them...very much...but I'm also critical of their shortcomings as well..

I edited about max... might wanta give that a second look, might help...

FYI, there are a few govenment incentives in the US at the moment also to buy american...

Bit similar to the Aussie inventment allowance, but the twist over there is to qualify it must be an american built car...

So if you were after a new sports cars currently the Corvette's will probablly look a heap more attractive than a GTR when it comes to drive away cost...

Just some food for thought...

Birds, if you look back it was actually COL-GTS-X who claimed that ZR-1's were being flogged for $25K under the RRP, I never said that it was! I actually said, there is indeed a $25K USD difference between the RRP of the GT-R and the ZR-1 in the USA after COL-GTS-X claimed they were effectively THE SAME price due to Chev dealers slashing ZR-1 prices.

I then said IF this were to be the case, then it's market forces at play. Other than that we seem to agree that the GT-R has a different appeal to the ZR-1. I actually asked COL-GTS-X to forward me some kind of report or evidence that the ZR-1 is being discounted to GT-R levels.. but so far I have not seen anything to suggest this.

As for the HRT 427 and W427..have a closer look, the W427 was to have a maximum of 427 built...but production has stopped at 200..why? Becuase it is still a Commode and the market is extremely limited. I know HSV 'sold out' the first production run but it was 40-50 cars!. Sure you'll get a handful of diehards...but that doesn't last, that's the difference between a quality car like the GT-R and a Tuppaware Commodore. Remember the VT2 and VX HSV GTS 300's WERE limited production models and after an early rush of a handful of enthusiast red Lion buyers they died in the arse and HARD!.

As for my automotive experience, 15 years and counting...started out in retail but nowadays I deal directly with alot of manufacturers , including Nissan...but that's about all I can say on that subject! :P

I do apologise I thought you had made that claim somewhere along the way. These threads go for so long it's hard to keep track of who says what.

On the note of demand for the "overpriced" Holdens drying up, how many R35's have sold in Australia so far and how many will continue to sell in Australia? I think alot of the demand for the R35 right now in Australia is not much different to reasons for purchase in the US...it is something exclusive, and it is fast. The wealthy, the eccentric and the financed have already come out to play. You give it enough time and just like the Holdens it won't be as special as it once was.

I've fought so many of these ZR1 vs R35 arguments I'd sooner just shake hands on the agreement that both cars are different, awesome in their own way, and have no trouble doing what they were intended to do.

Now onto that experience debate ;)

I'm 23...admittedly I'm not old...and you do have more first-hand experience than me (atleast in quantity form anyway)...but I do know car markets and salesmanship very well. I learnt everything I could since age 6 from my father, who was sales manager and then marketing manager at GMH for a couple of decades; now in the same role at Isuzu. My uncle owns a couple of new car dealerships in Melbourne. My other uncle has been a car salesman swapping between Toyota, Nissan and BMW. It's amazing what you can learn from not even working in the field...although these days I am! Wrap it up with a sucker's degree in marketing and and general interest in the topic since I can remember and there's my experience :P

Edited by Birds

I learnt everything I could since age 6 from my father, who was sales manager and then marketing manager at GMH for a couple of decades; now in the same role at Isuzu. My uncle owns a couple of new car dealerships in Melbourne. My other uncle has been a car salesman swapping between Toyota, Nissan and BMW. It's amazing what you can learn from not even working in the field...although these days I am! Wrap it up with a sucker's degree in marketing and and general interest in the topic since I can remember and there's my experience :D

FYI, My father was also in the motor industry for 37 years (until he retired last year) As a child I spent many a school holiday around car yards & wholesalers. I bought my first car magazine (Motor Manual) at the age of 8 and never looked back since.....

(edit) As to how i know... like i sad eariler a family member worked over there for 4 months and eneded up buyign a car rather than renting... He commented when he got back that he could have bought a ZR1 for 80k, as they had them in the showroom at the chev dealership with fluro marker pen on the wind screen... Like all chevs at the moment you can buy one for 15 to 25% off RRP...

I VERY much doubt you could get a ZR1 for 80k, someones telling porkies. The base ZR1 is listed at 105K, so that 's US25k off MSRP!!!

I'm sure these guys would like to know how to get one at that price.

link

" Corvette's will probablly look a heap more attractive than a GTR when it comes to drive away cost...

Just some food for thought..."

Maybe in the US....but not here in Australia.....I have imported many items from around the world and I can tell you now that by the time

you are sitting behind a registered RHD ZR1 here in Australia it will have cost a lot more then a new R35....Not to mention

the headache and red tape that will go with it.

Please read below....

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/news-and...t_corvette_zr1/

" That's no surprise when a C6 conversion is $49,500 and the ZR1 will be worth around $400,000 by the time it is ready to roll "

It's the same in Germany the Turbo Porsche is only slightly more the the R35.....but the fact here is that they cost twice as much as the R35

Not unusual to still see C6's selling for 200k http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...4&silo=1011

PS:R35 Is still the Performance bargain ever......faster as well in real world driving due to it's AWD .

Edited by Godcla

You are kidding me aren't you? The HSV GTS 300kW first appeared in 2000 with the VT2! It had the pretty multispoke wheels. The VX GTS 300 was built in fairly limited numbers, but it was readily available to the public! Hell, I even test drove one at Ferntree Gully Holden in 2001! It had the 19" 5 spoke alloys that were temporarily removed from the market as the Bridgstone tyres did not work very well with them. The 19" wheels were re-introduced with Pirelli PZero's...does that ring a bell?

if not this should...

http://www.quickhsv.com/vx.html

Just to clarify, the 19s actually had troubles passing ADRs with the Bridgestones, hence their removal from the market at the last minute, and replacement with the normal 18" HSV rim, painted a darker shade of silver. Once the 19s were approved with the Pirellis, the GTS owners were given the option of keeping the 18s, or flicking them for the 19s free of charge.

A 911 Turbo costs quite a bit more actually.

link

R35 GT-R 83 000 Euro

911T 143 000 euro.

Not so on the Rennteam Forum......Guys there form Germany quoted to me different figures and their was not as much difference

as your quote......I suppose it would lie in what was on the floor and they where trying to get rid off versus ordering and Porsche

options are very pricey......as suggested above the ZR1 can see a 20% discount of it's Sticker in the US.....

But hey this is their argument over in Germany......."not much more then the R35".....