SAU Community

How Much Grunt

What I want to know is, do th v35 4dr have much grunt?

I don't expect it to be as fast a my old gtr, but I want to know what does its grunt compare or = to?

Back in Aus, I had a R30 with a R32 Gts-t engine, then I moved onto R33 Gts-t, then I got the car of my dreams when I had a son (R34 gtr), sold that moved over seas (HK) now I have a IS200 (AUTO). While the IS200 is a nice car the performance is very poor, considering the fuel it uses.

Any feed back on the performance without any mods would be good.

it is compareable to a 350z, same engine etc. there is lots of tourque all over the powerband, especially down low which will give it that "fast" feeling but still nowhere near as fast as the previous cars you owned. should be faster than the is200

it is compareable to a 350z, same engine etc. there is lots of tourque all over the powerband, especially down low which will give it that "fast" feeling but still nowhere near as fast as the previous cars you owned. should be faster than the is200

I've come from an IS200 to a 350z. Yes, the power difference is very noticable. The Zed has way more torque and has much more grip too. You'll enjoy it. Although you will miss the comfortable interior and 5 seats.

I think people under rate the 4 door v35s very quick the 3.5 just as quick as the coupe.

I have a 300gt sedan my mate has a a coupe and he is only marginly quicker than the sedan very close off the line,

I would highly recommend a 300gt, not as common. only a couple kws less than the 3.5 but way better on the fuel

I think everyone missed the engine type the original OP included... They are looking to move to a V35 250GT..

Hardly comparable to a 350z. A 350GT however would be a different story.

No idea on how the 250GT compares to an IS250 though sorry! Or did the OP do a typo ?

If you want a serious power up from the is200 you wanna go for the 350GT sedan, and let me tell you, its just as quiet and comfortable as your is200, but its no sluggish sedan, this baby will pull like crazy no matter what gear your in....but it will seriously let you down when talking about fuel consumption.

If you want economy then go for the 250GT, but don't expect a huge difference in performance...maybe a 300 is your best choice.

I am look at the 250 GT, as been in HK with petrol over $2.4AUD per litre and the cost of rego skyrocking on anything above 2500cc. I don't expect it to be as fast as a turbo skyline but I would hope that it is faster then a R34 GT and still be very comfortable.

If you are considering a 250GT, then forget about 'grunt', it just doesn't compare to the 350GT version. Even worse, it doesn't even compare to the weak looking Australian Maxima which has more power. You just have to move back to Australia where the petrol and rego isn't as bad, haha.

Well the 250GT has 165kw or so, so it's not too bad. I'm pretty sure this is a fair bit more than an IS200, still it's not going to feel exactly fast..

Ouch on the fuel prices =/

Alot of people complain about the fuel usage on the 3.5l but i honestly don't find it that bad. If you're worried about it, you can drive it lightly and it actually returns a decent figure. Even stepping on it is not so bad all things considered...uses about the same as my previous car (2.3l turbo with direct injection). And there's a few mods you can do to lower fuel consumption too like installing a plenum spacer.

GL.

i get better fuel consumption on this car than any other car ive owned!

i get around 550kms to a tank, and it costs me $70-80 to fill up with 98 octane bp ultimate. That usually lasts me on average about 2 weeks worth of driving.

My 2 old cars, 180sx and S15 both making over 250rwkw, they only lasted 300kms and cost me around $60-$70 to fill up also.

im loving the fuel economy of this car :)

I laid out the figures and got this

250gt 300gt 350gt

Capacity 2.5 3 3.5

increase per variant 20% 17%

Power (KW) 158 191 200

increase per variant 21% 5%

Torque (NM) 269 323 353

increase per variant 20% 9%

Fuel Consumption l/100 8.3 8.6 11.1

increase per variant 4% 29%

Transmission 4 5 CVT/5

Wheel diameter 16 17 18

You can see that the increase in power and torque from the 250 to 300 is exactly proportional to the increase in capacity yet the fuel consumption is only 4% higher - keep in mind that in pure city driving the 250 should be more than 4% more efficient

Now look at the gap from the 300 to 350 17% greater capacity only 5% and 9% power and torque increase respectively. The real problem is the 29% increase in fuel consumption over the 300.

The reason for the 350s comparatively poor numbers is due to a more simple injection system. The 250 and 300 are direct injection while the 350 is regular multi-port.

So if you need efficiency and so are considering a 250 give the 300 a hard look - after all 4 speed autos are very 1980.

I own a 300 so may be incredibly biased :)

Edited by sailplane

how is the slushbox (auto with the +/-) in these?

Personaly i dont like autos all that much but the 5 speed in the 350GT is pretty good. Kicks down a gear or 2 when it needs to, smooth and never hunts for gears.

triptronic is ok although I only ever use it when going down a steep hill or @ the drags

I have the 250GT and I am very happy with it. It's got enough grunt for what I need.

That said, I have driven two 300GTs, one was excellent and did have more grunt, however the other one was a steaming piece of poo that compared with the power of a scooter.. so it depends on the car as well..

350gt in manual coupe form is 206-209kw though.. autos (and i think sedan) have 200kw though. Extra torque is extra handy due to the n/a engine and weight of the car.

Never driven an auto V35, but speaking to some other members at the V35 meet recently, people seem to like it!

I think the auto is great, a huge improvement over my Soarers auto but thats hardly surprising since the Soarer is 18 years old.

It'll hold gears in full auto mode, match revs when you change gears in semi-auto mode and generally changes quite quick.

On the subject of fuel consumption, my readout shows an average of 9.1L per 100km, which is based on 9000km driven.

And in a real test of fuel consumption, I travelled around 800km on a full tank, mostly highway driving though.

To the OP, just get the 350GT, its the top of the line why settle for less? Honestly, if it worries you that much and you have to count your pennies just to put fuel in the car then you probably should just stick to buying a little hyundai. :)

I am look at the 250 GT, as been in HK with petrol over $2.4AUD per litre and the cost of rego skyrocking on anything above 2500cc. I don't expect it to be as fast as a turbo skyline but I would hope that it is faster then a R34 GT and still be very comfortable.

To everybody who is saying get the biggest/fastest, remember this guy is in HK where the rules are a bit different, as per the above you get done in taxes for anything with a large engine, fuel cost is not the only consideration!

I went from a manual R33 GTS25 coupe to a V35 250GT sedan. The 250GT is much more comfortable, but feels like it has a bit less overall grunt - which I think is more to do with coming from a manual to an auto trans than any actual power difference. When winding the engine out if anything I'd say the NA VQ25 is a bit more free-revving than the NA RB25.

I've also driven a friends 4 door auto R34 25GT, which in terms of overall performance felt about the same as my 250GT. The 250GT is definitely slightly softer though - due to suspension setup mainly I think.

Have very briefly driven an IS200, initial impressions were that compared to the 250GT it has far less usable grunt - I kept wondering where all the torques had gone... Also overall it felt less 'sharp' than the 250GT. Also felt very, very cramped inside - the 250GT interior is massive by comparison.

Having said all that I haven't driven a 300 or 350GT - knowing that if I did I'd be far too tempted to buy one! So can't comment on how much better they are compared to a 250GT.

As for the slushbox - one thing to keep in mind is that the 250GT only gets the 4sp auto, whereas the 300GT and 350GT (non CVT) have the 5sp. Personally I find the tiptronic function a little useless - due it only being a 4sp the difference in ratios is a bit much for my tastes. The gearbox is probably the only real issue I have with the car - a 250GT with a 5sp (or more!) auto would be my ideal at the moment (so next car is probably gonna be a V36 which has 5sp on both the 250 and 350GT...).

Edited by Ant

To the OP, just get the 350GT, its the top of the line why settle for less? Honestly, if it worries you that much and you have to count your pennies just to put fuel in the car then you probably should just stick to buying a little hyundai. :D

The reason is that I am in Hong Kong, I like to count my pennies as I am saving for a R35 as I refuse to buy a car on credit, but I have had enough of the poor fuel consumtion of the IS200 considering the performance, It uses about 12-14l per 100km. When I had the 34GTR it used about 13-16l so I find this hard to accept. over here the 250GT and the IS200 are about the Same price so I think it may be a wise move to trade her in, and go back to a nissan.