SAU Community

Alternate Intercooler Piping

Coxie

yeah all fwd cars run (usually) twin thermos and as you said the new commodores and falcons. there are plenty of turbo pulsars, lancers, (not sure about wrx's) etc putting out decent power with the stock thermo fans.

Your on the right track.

I run falcon AU thermos (2 x 12 inch fans) complete with shoud on my SR with 290 rwk's no drama's - temps are typically stable between 80 and 85 with stock t-stat - most i've seen is 90 with aircon on in 40+ degree heat. I spent a bit of time sealing gaps with rubber and foam to ensure the air got pulled through the rad. Also run stock undertray. I also wired the fans to run separate low and high temp settings which is controlled by the Autronic.

My brother's VZ LS2 with twin turbos, 100mm thick intercooler and 380 rwk's, air con, etc runs factory thermo's and no drama's either.

The thing with the factory thermo's is that the shrouds cover the entire rad so the fans pull air through the entire core.......unlike plonking 2 x 12 or 1 x 16 inch Davies Craig fans, or smilar, on the core which only pull air through part of the core.

Also checkout this article which further supports my views http://autospeed.com/cms/A_111234/article.html

Yep juggernaut has spelt it out the AU setup or the flexalite twins are about the only things that keep temps under control under any hard driving especially drifting (other than stock setup with a R33 fan), the davies craig and ICE fans are junk. The foam insulators you mentioned are also paramount when using thick coolers etc as the air finds it easier to bypass the rad core.

The best / easiest setup for an SR20 is R33 clutch fan setup, the power drain is about 5kw more than thermos running and is absolutley fool proof.

Edited by URAS