SAU Community

R32gtr 4wd Problem And Power Steering Problem

Hey everyone, ok just bought the car and has few issues.

Before i go to the mechanics and get ripped off I just thought I'd ask everyone here if they have any ideas what the

problems might be..

4WD.

It has a 2w/4wd switch in the cabin. It wont go into 4WD when switched over.

Front wheels wont spin. Fuse under dash is ok. Relay in engine bay is ok.

Shafts are in place.

Where could the problem be??? As i not that familiar with the inner workings of the 4WD system...

Power steering..

This problem i think is the HICAS but here the problem..

When i start the car and drive for few minutes its fine powersteering is excellent.

Then all of a sudden it gets hard to turn the wheel.

It as a hicas lock bar put on it and has a aftermarket power fc computer.

Remembering back on my r33 gtst when my speedo went the hicas light used to light up and the steering would get

hard. Im guessing its the damned hicas doing it here. How do i fix this what can i do to keep the power steering working..Sometimes all the technology they put is just makes life more difficult that easy.

While im here with the power fc hand controller

i got a maximum knock value of 39 is this too high? Is it an issue as i know its running a bit lean at top revs.

Any help much appreciated

please excuse my inexperiences..

cheers

:P;):blink:

Hey everyone, ok just bought the car and has few issues.

Before i go to the mechanics and get ripped off I just thought I'd ask everyone here if they have any ideas what the

problems might be..

4WD.

It has a 2w/4wd switch in the cabin. It wont go into 4WD when switched over.

Front wheels wont spin. Fuse under dash is ok. Relay in engine bay is ok.

Shafts are in place.

Where could the problem be??? As i not that familiar with the inner workings of the 4WD system...

Power steering..

This problem i think is the HICAS but here the problem..

When i start the car and drive for few minutes its fine powersteering is excellent.

Then all of a sudden it gets hard to turn the wheel.

It as a hicas lock bar put on it and has a aftermarket power fc computer.

Remembering back on my r33 gtst when my speedo went the hicas light used to light up and the steering would get

hard. Im guessing its the damned hicas doing it here. How do i fix this what can i do to keep the power steering working..Sometimes all the technology they put is just makes life more difficult that easy.

While im here with the power fc hand controller

i got a maximum knock value of 39 is this too high? Is it an issue as i know its running a bit lean at top revs.

Any help much appreciated

please excuse my inexperiences..

cheers

:P;):blink:

Ive read through the other thread about the 4wd and steering. it kind of answers the 4wd. But the power steering is still not explained.

Is it the possible the fact i have a nismo 300km dash installed thats causing the hicas problems. Is it the lockbar ? I mean it'd a big job checking everything. Im just hoping someone has had a similar problem and has solved it..

Check powersteering fluid level as HICAS shares the fluid with the P/S. Check ATTESSA fluid level in your boot (in boot, against drivers side wall behind the gray wall things)

turn on the car.. reds or started.

open up boot, look under parcel tray for grey box with red flashing light.

cound the amount of flashes its putting out can be a few different in a row with a pause between.

come back with the amount of flashes in each sequence and post here..

or search for attessa fault codes.

Check powersteering fluid level as HICAS shares the fluid with the P/S. Check ATTESSA fluid level in your boot (in boot, against drivers side wall behind the gray wall things)

all fluids are topped up.

im kinda guessing the pump aint working or the clutches are stuffed or maybe wheel sensors...

sorry to jump on your thread, I still have a similar problem, heavy steering and no fwd.....I've only covered around 2ooomiles in mine and the day I picked it up I noticed the passenger rear seemed to judder under heavy acceleration(511hp @hub)..that has since stopped....could this be a shot shaft of have I fooked my lsd??...it is supposed to have uprated lsd's but who knows??

Hi all again... Fault codes 1 and 16

Right wheel sensor and G sensor.

Hopefuly thats the only faults.

Could this be causing me harder power steering. Perhaps when the 4WD trys to kick in under acceleration it cannot because of the sensors in turn activating the hicas and making my steering crap.

Thats my only theory thus far.

Will have to fix faultcodes first then well see how it goes...

Also to LMANS maybe your rear sensor is fooked also.. check ur 4wd for faults..

This could be causing the shudder on that wheel.

I dont know im just guessing.. being the rear is shouldnt matter i dont think.. but yeh someone might be able to help on here.

G-sensor - lives under the centre console. Comes with a visual indicator if the unit itself is dead, check every connection from one end to the other first before you decide to rip anything out. Check to see if the wheel sensor is connected solidly and with a clean joint.

4wd and 4ws don't really affect each other that much.

Edited by heller44

Do you know how? There is nothing, signal in / out that is common between the hicas and attessa modules.. might be something like a gound path or something like that.. maybe..

Not saying that you aren't right, just trying to learn more about these systems and what happens particularly in fault conditions to make diagnosing them easier.

damned too many things coming up at once.

Wont have too much time to play with the toy..

so ive decided to visit the tuning shop monday and see what they can find

and while im at it slip in the Z32's and tune it to a decent 24-25psi..

So many lil issues hopefuly ill have it all sorted asap and i can visit some dyno comps and cruises and stuff.

will post all results from the tuning shop soon as its done..

:P B1 :banana: B2

• 9 months later...

ok my hicas light used to come on and off while i drive, only for afew seconds on at a time...

today i was stopped at lights and it was quiet and soon as i herd the attesa pump (?) in the boot prime the hicas light came on, soon as the pump stopped, the light went off. the hicas light comes on maybe every 3 or 5mins of driving...

fluids are fine

what the hell can it be? how is the attesa and hicas linked together anyway?

ok also seems to do it when i reverse ? :S steering sometimes goes alil stiff for a few seconds then goes good, also kicks up abit of torque to the front wheels when reversing with abit of clutch in and out (not enought to make the bak wheels spin, so it shouldnt send power to the front wheels)

anyone able to help me out lol? im gona giv the hicas diagnosics test a go and see what i come up with...

• 4 weeks later...

Having a similar power steering issue with my GTR at the moment aswell.

Car was fine but after having a new alarm fitted the power steering cuts out after about 5 mins of driving and eventually the hicas light comes on.

So im assuming none of the sensors are dead since it worked perfectly before the install.

Only thing that the auto electrician pointed out was that there was a wire coming from the ECU which connected to the old alarm system somehow and the wiring schematic that i have is to blurred to read.

Turns out i have the same problem you had.

The mystery wire they found during the alarm install was the one from the speedo to the ECU.

Only found out cos my power FC was getting no speed reading on the hand controller, so hopefully we can patch that up over the weekend and it should be all good once again :)