SAU Community

Turbo Upgrade Question (i Already Searched)

hey guys, i have spent days searching here and google and please point me in the right direction if i have overlooked sumthing.... however

i am planning on building a rb25/30 twincam engine.... im looking at doing it on a strict budget and am aiming for about the 200-300rwkw mark (depending on combo). i have got a power fc with z32 afm... to start with.....

so my question is... what is a good responsive turbo option for this setup??... i would like to reduce lagg, improve responsiveness and overall power/reliability...

i have been told to look for a vl turbo and high flow it and make sure i get a .63 exhaust housing or sumthing......can anyone shed any light on this?>?

p.s sorry i should add... iv seen all the links with the recommmended t03/t04 turbo upgrades and t04e blah blah.... but i couldnt make much sense of what turbo has what type of shaft, and wot turbo was good for what, and which turbo was newer etc etc....

thanks for ur help

Edited by TRB-001

well 200rwkw to 300rwkw is a very broad range and covers a lot of turbos.

If you check the dyno sticky thread, user "AL" has a GT3076 and near on 300rwkw...

His results are very well documented.

I wouldnt bother with some hi-flow. get a decent turbo

If you are looking at 200-300rwkw, a stock-internal RB25 should definitely be up to the task, especially if you are on a 'strict budget'.

There are plenty of people on this board with MUCH more knowledge than me, but AFAIK, building a reliable 25/30 is not a cheap exercise, and if you are only going to put a high-flow on it anyway, you may as well not bother.

There are hundreds of threads on here about making 200-300rwkw out of an RB25 but with; PowerFC, 550cc's, z32 (or perhaps a custom AFM), fuel pump(s), and a GT30 or 35 based turbocharger, you should make near what you want.

Do some more searches and you will find.

If I have misled this man, please correct me

Edited by Yeedogga

thanks axs s for the heads up.... ill keep an eye on that one!

really i think my problem is there is so many different turbos out there these days i dont know the differences and wots good and wots not....

any other ideas..... or info would be great

believe it or not this can all be searched for pretty easily but here goes.

there really are only two choices in the Garrett range that meet your needs.

GT3071 and GT3076 both should come with the identical turbine (60mm) the difference is the compressor.

in simple terms the 71mm compressor is a 450hp compressor (depending on trim this number can vary)

in simple terms the 76mm compressor is a 500hp compressor (depending on trim this number can vary)

so this should net you between 250rwkw and 300rwkw on whatever engine you slap it onto ie RB25 (the cheapest and most obvious choice or as you state you want a 25/30 hybrid.

there are other options like a quality hi-flow which usually come with the 71mm compressor anyway in a nissan housing some are ball bearing ($1900ish) or bush bearing ($900ish)

alternatively you can look at other brands that are more expensive rebadged garrett units like HKS branded turbos (that are all sexy gear with HKS's own turbine covers that work really well).

alternatively other name brand japanese turbos like Trust apexi etc.

OR if you are feeling like doing something less common in australia find a Holset like one of the current threads is doing.

Edited by wolverine

mate if your on a cheapo budget i advise you go to ebay and fight the right combination of a/r and slap it on, very cheap, and personally i havent heard of any them going wrong. yes you get what you pay for, but at >$500 for a big mofo turbo you can over 10times before it cost you as much as one t04z. its the blokes who pay big money on thier cars and get no real power that whine about ebay turbos

3076r plus rb25 will see at least 250kw and the turbo should only cost you about $2000.

keep away from ebay turbos. i know people who have used them and got less than 200km of highway driving out of them. no point spending the money to only have to keep spending money.

For a RB30 Twin cam its recommend that you go for a .84 reared turbo. We can make you one that is capable of 320rwkws that doesn't blow your budget. Drop us a PM if interested.