SAU Community

Squeaky Brakes

hey guys,

i recently purchased myself a R33 s2 skyline (must say im loving it)

anywho, i have really squeaky brakes, but heres the catch, the brakes will squeak when i push the brake 15-20%, its really loud squeak, more like

a scream, when i apply 40-50% of braking the loud squeak goes away and a really faint one occurs.

it has a pair of fairly new pads on it, and the rotors look new too.

so i was wondering what my best bet would be, think about purchasin a pair of the standard pads an rotors?

or could this squeak just be a wearing in phase?

any light shed on this would be a great help

cheers

also, the guy who i bought the car off told me he had replaced the pads with hks race pads.

anyone heard of them? coz i havent, could it be due to these aswell?

Edited by buckets

depending on what the pads are made of, but the better grade pads have a higher metalic content and cause the pads to squeal, example bendix ultimate's.

but your issue could be due to glazed pads and rotors due to not beding them in correctly, or the plates behind the pads could be missing.

If the pads are fitted correctly in the calipers this could be just a case of linish pads and machine rotors to remove

glazed surfaces. but at the end of the day if the pads have a high metal content they will squeal, just the nature of the pads.

I recently fitted diferent pads and machined the rotors for another member on here and he said they have never been so quiet.

I got exact same problem as poster. Using DBA slotted rotors all round with bendix ultimates. Sometimes it's worse than others. Bt very embarrasing lol.

Find it's not AS bad once heated up. And seem to be quieter in the wet.

As a side note the guy did take the little plates out when he did my rears. Dunno if fronts are gone too but they're noiser. By the time u give it enough pressure to make the back brows kick in it's pastthe noisy window.

I just try and brake late so I have to press harder. Can make you look like an idiot at times Though haha

The squeaking is usually the brake pads shims vibrating from not being greased properly on a pad change. I just used penrite lithium grease on my shims when I changed my front pads and never even got a squeal while bedding them in.

depending on what the pads are made of, but the better grade pads have a higher metalic content and cause the pads to squeal, example bendix ultimate's.

but your issue could be due to glazed pads and rotors due to not beding them in correctly, or the plates behind the pads could be missing.

If the pads are fitted correctly in the calipers this could be just a case of linish pads and machine rotors to remove

glazed surfaces. but at the end of the day if the pads have a high metal content they will squeal, just the nature of the pads.

I recently fitted diferent pads and machined the rotors for another member on here and he said they have never been so quiet.

hey mate,

ive tried a couple of bedding in runs, however not really a track man so just been on normal roads, it sounds like the brakes are braking but it hurts them to do so.

To eliminate a bedding in problem, should i do a couple of hard stops (aka: 60 - 0 five times etc) and if squeeling continues will that signify that it is not due to the bedding in phase?

thanks for all your help mate

thanks for your helps guys.

just wanna know now what moves i should make to elinimate possible problems?

like bedding in etc...

i know bugga all about braking systems so im a bit stumped, and it is so embarrasing pulling up to fuel

up and the only thing everyone can hear is a screech from the brakes

that is pretty much the opposite on how to bed barkes in, you should do around 60kph brake to 10kph 6 times without harsh braking and dont come to a complete stop,

you should not give the brakes a hard time for at least 150km's but this will all vary with each type of pad, that is just a guide that i follow and works with customers cars.

Sounds exactly like shims vibrating against back of pads and calipers. You can grease with copper grease - light coating, worked a charm on mine. Had DB4000(no slots) with RB74 - squealled exactly as described. Remove brakes - clean back of pads and shims - coat with copper (or lithium??) grease. DO NOT GET ANY ON THE ROTOR OR FRONT OF PADS. (obviously)

I tried brake goo and spray and cleaning rotors - did nothing. Put the copper grease on and whisper quiet. I now have Ultimates on the rear and they came with the material on back of pad to reduce squeal. Anyway - we'll see when I go to ultimates on the front if it happens again. Been quiet for around 30,000km now, nearing the end of the RB74 fronts.

i recently put in rda slotted rotors and qfm a1rm pads all round, was squeaking loud with light pressure, but once you get on em it goes away. last week or so ive noticed the squeak go away though...

that's about 2,500-3,000kms since they've been put in and ive put them through 1 track day and dozens of hills runs so far.

get some heat in to them and ~5k km;s. 5x 100-80km/h stops in quick succesion then cool them off is reccomended for bedding in. I found my pads shut up after i did that mutiple times, heated them up a couple of times and put some km's on them (RB74's)

hey

cheers man, somthign i should point out,

my car is missing the inner guards (infront of the front wheels)

would this have anything at all to do with it?

for instance by always keeping the brakes cold or somthin?!?!

I got so pissed off with my brakes squeeking exactly as you mentioned and in the end after changing pads, roughing up the disks etc and bought a can of "De-squeek" made by CBC or whatever as a last resort , cost me $20, didnt expect it to work, sprayed it on both sides of the disk, did a few brake runs (like you do to bed pads in) and it was silent for a while. Im not sure if it effects how good your brakes are but i know mine still work pretty well if i heat them up (ultimates). They will start to squeek again after a while but if you just apply a little whenever they start again (think i probably did it about 5 times and i half assed it with the wheels on) , i think it builds up a sort of light film and i havent applied any in ages. They still randomly squeek now and then but its waaaaaay better than they were. $20, give it a try :)

Edited by Joe_89

4pots suck for squeaking, thats about the end of it!

I found that the best way to overcome it it to use stock pads on the street and swap the race pad over for the track.

But then i came to the problem of the stock pads not liking the rotor after using them on the track. I get a horrific squeal on cold startups. So i drive down the street, stomp on them once and its gone. If they cool off to much it comes back. (IE Rain).

My next plan is new shims/grease, and a seperate rotor/pad combo for the street and track.

hey guys,

gonna try this can of de-squeeky shit tomorrow.

will let you know if it works

Probably should have mentioned that becuse your acctually putting a liquid onto your rotors, your brakes hardly work the first time you use em so dont go flooring it downhill and expect em to stop you lol

hey guys

bought a can of de-squeek, and applied it, worked like magic, wears off pretty quickly though i find,

in like 20-30mins of driving.

it says to apply to rotor, so do i apply it to side facing outwards towards the wheel? (the shiny side?)

or is it actually applied to the rotor part underneath where the pad sits?

i used it on the shiny side bit, it worked like magic sill but it did wear off quickly

hey guys

bought a can of de-squeek, and applied it, worked like magic, wears off pretty quickly though i find,

in like 20-30mins of driving.

it says to apply to rotor, so do i apply it to side facing outwards towards the wheel? (the shiny side?)

or is it actually applied to the rotor part underneath where the pad sits?

i used it on the shiny side bit, it worked like magic sill but it did wear off quickly

How well did you apply it? the first application i did was done properly by taking the wheels off and spraying both sides of the rotor with a decent coat. I did mention it wouldnt last too long but it should last longer than half an hour if its done properly and then when it DOES wear off, you should need to apply it about 3 or 4 more times before it gets that built up layer and doesnt need any more attention.

I still spray mine if im going out on a cruise or something but its just a fine spray, nothing heavy

Hmmm you have pads that squeal due to the type of pad material that is ment for high temp and track use. so you spray stuff on the rotors

to stop them squeaking and reducing how well the brakes work, why use pads that cost alot more than ones that wont squeal and dont need a band aid to fix the noise for a day.

fit the right pads you want and deal with the dust or noise.

do you see race car teams spraying crap on the rotors? use the correct pads for the application. problem fixed.