SAU Community

Looking At Buying A Skyline By End Of Next Year, Im In Need Of Some Help

hey guys, thought this place would be the best place to ask....

by the end of next year i want to get a skyline or v8 classic as a weekend cruiser an occasional(muck around car on track)

im hoping to have about 20,000 to spend (praying!!! :P ) if i cant find anything in australia, i will find a car finder person to find one for me in japan.... should i be looking to buy r33 gtr stocker or small mods or a r34gt-t..... im in brisbane if you guys have any info on people that find these cars for a good price and are "very respectable" let me know....

any info or recommendations on cars would be great....

cheers guys

dan

20g aint going to get you much if you're looking for a 33gtr or a 34gtt with left over cash for mods. The G's go quickly when you start modding. Best way if you're looking for a car for track work is to get one already setup, it's the cheapest way too.

ok so mayby im better off going an already modded r33 gts-t series 2 or r34 gt-t, its just im looking at resale down the future i thought a r33 gtr would be better but i mean if the money has already been spent on it it wont matter to much, do they hold there value....

cheers

$20k can get you a well modified R33 GTS25t Series 2 with money left over for insurance, rego, maintenance and money spare to replace/fix things that break when you take it onto the track.

For your price bracket a R33 S2 GTST will be your best bet and buy you the most power and handling for your money. But a 33 GTR will always be worth more at the end of the day and also a much better performance platform. That said, they will cost you more in every way over a gtst: mods, insurance, maintenance.

Weigh up your options. TBH even if you just waited to a little longer and bought a 33gtr and modded it yourself you most likely won't regret the choice. But if you bought the gtst you'd still like the car and the way it goes but would always want the gtr in the back of your mind.

how can you tell if its a genuine gtr and can someone give me some respectable car import places i can check out in brisbane or on the net

cheers

how can you not tell if it is a genuine gtr....lol it might be time to familiarize yourself with skylines. go to a couple of QLD meets, chew some fat with a couple owner and then slap yourself on the back of the head for ever wondering why you asked this question in the first place :P

if you have 18months before you get one, spend time on the forums and just read things, you will learn heaps.

in 18months time gtt's and 33gtrs will be fair bit cheaper too i'd imagine.

ok so mayby im better off going an already modded r33 gts-t series 2 or r34 gt-t, its just im looking at resale down the future i thought a r33 gtr would be better but i mean if the money has already been spent on it it wont matter to much, do they hold there value....

cheers

This i can answer :blink:

Just a look on redbook will tell you an R33 GTR will hold its value - and has done, for a car thats between 11-15 years old. However you generally will not find one within the price bracket that youre assigning yourself. Now this may just be in Victoria, but you generally won't find one (in good nick) for less than 24-28k. Do they hold their value? oh my yes.

Is it worth the extra cash?

Most definitely.

Ultimately the choice is up to you. You can go a S2 GTS-t. theyre around 10-15k or so? then you have money leftover for running costs.

A GT-T will soak up the full 20k easily.

Its mostly a choice of what you really want - and if thats a GT-R, then go for it. But it will cost you more, as theyve said, in every aspect.

I'm a 21 year old female, for example. My GT-R is costing me 3100 p.a. on insurance. 60 dollars a week (120 a fortnight) on fuel (silly me runs it as a daily at the moment) plus all the parts for them are that bit more expensive. Spend some time on the forums, do your homework, then make a decision.

And as a side note - you will be hard pressed to find a stock GTR...

Just think of the ongoing costs with any GT-R before buying one - they were an expensive car new so parts etc are generally priced somewhere around the insane level.

but every time i look at her i realise she's worth every cent :P