SAU Community

Willall Midpipe Installed

GGTTRR

Guys,

Don't be afraid of getting systems with resonators in them. They can actually improve power (most of the time by only 2kW :(), and make the car sound quieter, by removing the lower frequencies (drone) of the exhaust system. a long Helmholtz resonator is the only way to go IMHO to improve drone type resonance in an exhaust system, but it has to be tuned to the specific resonance/drone you are interested in removing. Custom systems need a couple of gos to get this, but once it is done, you sell it to everyone. Probably the way Willall has done it.

Martin, I'm a bit interested by your 'diversion plates' and tubulence inducing thingy-me-bobs. I thought the rule of thumb with the exhaust is trying to promote less turbulence in the system, which in turn provides better flow and less back pressure. Hence the absorbing style muffler (straight through) are promoted more for race applications than the reflective (internal baffled system) style muffler.

Turbulence in a flow system will often allow close to double the flow rate in a given condition than laminar ordered flow. This is a very little understood piece of exhaust design :)

Can you prove this?

I guess it depends on your definition of turbulence...

Edited by wht510

Drove my ute this week to work, but took the GTR out cruising tonight with a mate from interstate who had not been in an R35 GTR before & had a real hoot. Didn't get much of a chance to go for it but just cruising around with a few little bursts made me realise how much of an improvement the mid pipe has made. It makes me want to drive the car more.

Anyone else done done similar mod to their GTR?

Drove my ute this week to work, but took the GTR out cruising tonight with a mate from interstate who had not been in an R35 GTR before & had a real hoot. Didn't get much of a chance to go for it but just cruising around with a few little bursts made me realise how much of an improvement the mid pipe has made. It makes me want to drive the car more.

Anyone else done done similar mod to their GTR?

I've also installed th Willall y-pipe, sound seems to be getting "meatier" after some k's too. I expected it to to a bit quieter with come carbon build up, but it seem to be getting better? It's great because you can actually hear the car now! Encourages you to use the box in manual mode through town etc. Love it!

Had my Willal pipe installed on Saturday, I must say it was difficult to get me out of the car all weekend. I love the sound of the car....not sure my wife loves it so much when I leave at 5am...but I figure if I am up then she should be too.

It is interesting to note that I believe the car actually goes better with it. I have put the foot down (from low speeds) in a straight line and have seen the traction control come on. This is in R mode. This never happened in a straight line before, so I will do some runs on the Performance box and will let you know how it goes.

Very happy with the pipe, the car sounds like a sports car now.

• 2 weeks later...

for the super discounted price of 25,000AUD or so you can pick up a nismo titanium exhaust, or buy a daily driver...

if nissan void my warranty for the midpipe they better be ready to accept their own heavy clunker of a midpipe up their jacksie

• 2 weeks later...

Willalls are getting their new 4WD dyno next week (I think!) so I am sure there will be

some before & after runs done soon. There are a few std R35s in Adelaide in bad need

of the midpipe so stay tuned........

I havent had my JDM dynoed yet so will get that done before going futher..........

Hmmmmmm... those new turbos in the other thread look damn nice!

I was spinning the cores by hand the other day & you can really feel the difference.

Be interesting to see if the throttle response stays the same considering they should spool faster

being ball bearing & also the turbine is slightly larger.