SAU Community

How To Tell The Difference Between A Ceramic And Steel Wheel Turbo

I thought it may be helpful for some if I put up some pictures that show the easy way to identify a ceramic turbo over a steel wheeled variety. This may be helpful if buying used turbos or if you are unsure if your car has allready been fitted with steel wheel turbo(s). Pull off the front pipe and with an inspection mirror and a torch, and a bit of holding your tounge the right way, you will be able to see it.

GTRturbo4.jpg

Pic 1 - (above) This is a ceramic exhaust turbine - notice the double hex (12 point) end on the turbine.

Speedchaser02.jpg

Pic 2 - (above) This is a steel / inconel exhaust turbine - note the single hex (6 point) end on the turbine

t28exhaust.jpg

Pic 3 - (above) Also a steel / inconel exhaust turbine - note the triangle end on the turbine

The above is true for Garrett Turbochargers as found on Nissan Skylines RB20, RB25 and RB26 - with the exception of the N1 GTR and Nismo Built cars, all R32, R33 and R34 skylines were fitted with ceramic turbo(s) from factory. Hope this post is helpful!

Edited by Antimatter

easier way is to see if a small magnet sticks to it than remembering those lol

Have you confirmed this works yourself? There was some talk that the alloy used for turbines is not magnetic, but i cant remember if it ever got confirmed or denied.

Have you confirmed this works yourself? There was some talk that the alloy used for turbines is not magnetic, but i cant remember if it ever got confirmed or denied.

Inconel wheels dont attract a magnet. I assumed they would till I bought Nismo turbo's. When a magnet did not stick I sh#t myself thinking I had been ripped then I did some research. I can confirm the old turbos on my GTR did have 12 point head on the shaft and the Nismos had 6 point confirming this is a great guide...

Cheers

Lee

Confirmed - magnet trick does NOT work.

As someone else suggested - Inconel (the steel that turbine wheels are made of) is not magnetic. I.e. You will not be able to identify a turbine as steel with a magnet.

Can anyone confirm if the Garrett GT3037R is steel wheeled? I've been looking around for info on this for ages and cannot find my exact turbo on the net. Heres some pics of the turbo. Sorry i dont have any of the rear wheel.

post-28482-1246247368_thumb.jpg post-28482-1246247389_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread, but is there anyway to identify the exhaust wheel while turbos fitted to the car?

I've tried using a mirror to see the id plate, but no luck, thought about a boroscope to put up the downpipe but I think the turbo elbos have to sharp a bend.

I don't really want to strip the turbos down, what with all thew work involved. All I can assume is the ceramic wheels are still there so don't want to increase boost.

Thanks in advance. :cheers:

• 8 months later...

I, too, am going to resurrect an old thread. Same question as ms33, can you check for ceramic/steel exhaust wheel while turbos are mounted? And the photos above are no longer hosted, so if anyone has a picture depicting the 6 vs 12 points he's referring to, that'd be great. Thanks!

Umm....pics 1 and 3 work fine for me. if you can see them then the rest is self explanatory.

You're right. Just checked on my phone. Work computer must've been blocking the host site. Thanks. Cheers!