SAU Community

good afternoon. today when i was under my car i noticed oil nicely spread out under my car. All down the tail- shaft all around on the floor of the car (outside) all the way to the diff.

Closer investigation tells me the oil may be coming from the back of the gear- box where the tail- shaft connects.

Any thoughts and help with this will be appreciated. :)

It sounds like the output shaft seal.

Double check to make sure it's not coming from the top of the box by removing the gearbox insulator and look at the area around the shifter dust boot.

Another point where it may come from is the breather, which will spill the oil over the top of the box as well.

If these areas are clean, then it's the output shaft seal.

thanks heaps i took it to a guy who said the same thing he is going to check if the tail shaft is out of balance also. this is way out of my area of expertese. the car is starting to show its age.

Also, if you're having a hard time isolating the leak, it pays to give the whole area a good degrease too. After this take it for a drive and check it straight after, the fresh oil will be much easier to spot when everything is clean.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I have oil leaking from the top of my gearbox. 2LV8ETR where is the breather located - is it on the passenger side or the drivers side (I am guessing it is on the passenger's side). If oil is coming from here is there a way to fix it?

When you talk about "the gearbox insulator and look at the area around the shifter dust boot" are you talking about looking around the shifter from inside the cabin?

Thanks, Ben.

2LV8ETR where is the breather located

It's on the starter motor side on top of the bell housing behing the inlet manifold - Or it should be.

If oil is coming from here is there a way to fix it?

Oil shouldn't be coming out of here. If it is, it's usually do to an overfill.

When you talk about "the gearbox insulator and look at the area around the shifter dust boot" are you talking about looking around the shifter from inside the cabin?

If you remove the shifter gaiter from the center console, you'll see a large square concertina rubber dust boot with a square metal surround. This is the insulator. It's actually in 3 parts, 2 rubber, and 1 steel.

It's on the starter motor side on top of the bell housing behing the inlet manifold - Or it should be.

Oil shouldn't be coming out of here. If it is, it's usually do to an overfill.

If you remove the shifter gaiter from the center console, you'll see a large square concertina rubber dust boot with a square metal surround. This is the insulator. It's actually in 3 parts, 2 rubber, and 1 steel.

Sorry to steal the thread (this may still help you). When I switched my transmission oil I had fluid come out of the breather at the top of the transmission, well I think its breathers, they are u-shaped and at the top of the transmission near where it connects to the engine. I filled the transmission though the filler hole underneath the car (not the shifter) and it still came out. It never really leaked too much on the ground as most of it just went all over the transmission. I have seen some gtr transmissions with hoses coming out of the u-shaped piece (90% sure they are breathers), so in that case the fluid would end up on the floor instead of the transmission. I also had a messed up shift boot which caused some fluid to leak. There is two shift boots, well actually 3, but two rubber ones. You first take off the shift knob in the car, then the leather shift boot, then you'll see a rubber boot with 4 screws, take that off, then you'll see another shift boot, that one tends to crack (from what I'm told). You can get it at any nissan dealer and its pretty cheap. If not PM me I have an extra.