SAU Community

Pod Filter & Intake Setup...

Hi guys, just wondering, for those who are running non-AFM tuned R34 GTR's, what are most of you running in terms of pod filter setup and intake design? I know that R32 and R33 are different so this is really a thread for R34 GTR only.

There's the APEXi twin power intake kit, then there's the HKS and Trust versions. BUT what options are there available if I wanted to run twin K&N pods? Must the intake pipes be custom fabricated or is there a kit available?

Interested to hear what people have done as I have a D-Jetro and want to upgrade my standard air box.

Cheers,

Ed

Any reason why u wanna run the knn filters? seems apexi got the best rating for airflow/filtration so a simple kit from them would be the best bet.

knn i recall uses a hoseclamp so you could use the standard rubber intake hoses and a piece of alluminuim/stainless to adapt the filter onto; woud be very simple and cheap as knn filters are washable....but then again, so are apexi and you can buy new ones every 2 years or so for 150bsu so they always look new.

as you have a vs2, id say money aint too big an issue, possibly an arc airbox to keep the cops from asking too many questions.

There is not much difference between the R32/R33/R34 GTR intake systems.

As Johnny said APexi are decent pod filters and the kit should come with 2 metal intake pipes to you can bolt on the air pods then bolt on to the AFM's.

One of the reasons I think to run an APexi D-Jetro, is for the GTR's which run massive single turbo conversions and there is no AFM, but I too have seen it on twin turbo setups.

I am not too clear why or what the difference is... Instead of having the 2 AFM's, they are replaced by 2 Map Sensors... Probably so the APexi Power FC can monitor it... Control it too... Maybe.

APexi pods - http://www.nengun.com/apexi/power-intake-gtr

Looks like they do come with pieces of aluminium/stainless to adapt the pods on.

Any reason for modifying to twin air pods?

The standard R34 GTR air box and filter is good for over 300 kW's.

Hey thanks for your replies guys, appreciate your thoughts.

Johnny:

My tuner is getting better results from K&N's over the APEXi's. I've seen results from comparisons on an R32 GTR and Mazda 6 MPS. The ARC airbox is close to double the price, and is it really worth it for the extra 10hp or so gain vs twin pods? It's not really that stock either, it's big and silver with orange filters haha. But I do appreciate it is a good piece of gear though.

(OO)SKYLINE(OO):

I went wth D-Jetro as the AFM's max out. Yes they run off MAP sensors and yes you can use oiled filters now that the AFM's are bypassed/removed. Also, this means the intake pipe can also be increased in diameter to a custom or off the shelf kit . The APEXi Power intake kit retains the AFM piping so I'm really looking to get rid of them all together as I don't need them there. As for reason in modifying, I'm convinced that twin pods will flow better than the stock air box.

I kept the AFM's installed for that "stock" appearance when I ran a map based ecu in my R33. They arent a performance restriction unless your chasing over 600hp. That opens up the world of other options for AFM based air filters. I was using an aluminium ARC air box. They have nice trumpets inside the box where the MAF sensors bolt onto it.

Hey thanks for your replies guys, appreciate your thoughts.

Johnny:

My tuner is getting better results from K&N's over the APEXi's. I've seen results from comparisons on an R32 GTR and Mazda 6 MPS. The ARC airbox is close to double the price, and is it really worth it for the extra 10hp or so gain vs twin pods? It's not really that stock either, it's big and silver with orange filters haha. But I do appreciate it is a good piece of gear though.

(OO)SKYLINE(OO):

I went wth D-Jetro as the AFM's max out. Yes they run off MAP sensors and yes you can use oiled filters now that the AFM's are bypassed/removed. Also, this means the intake pipe can also be increased in diameter to a custom or off the shelf kit . The APEXi Power intake kit retains the AFM piping so I'm really looking to get rid of them all together as I don't need them there. As for reason in modifying, I'm convinced that twin pods will flow better than the stock air box.

Right I see.

That explains the point of D-Jetro. Maxing out the AFM's and want even more air = Have a bigger air pod... LOL!

So how big of a pod do you want?

You could take off the AFM piping and just have the pod itself... :P

Yeah, you will get a lot of air in with twin pods... Since you have a Nur, which runs 1.2 Bar = 17.4 Psi, pods will free up the air flow with your test proven.

I guess you can shield off the pods on the side and retain the standard air feed to feed air to the pods.

I want to run standard size'd K&N pod's with the AFM's removed so I have a slightly larger diameter intake but don't know what pipes I need. At this stage I think they'd have to be custom made as I see no kits available from K&N or even a generic type to suit 34GTR. I know APEXi and HKS do the full 'hard piping' kits but they're stupidly overpriced in my opinion (in excess of $750+) - may as well go a full ARC intake box.

Anyway thanks guys, appreciate all your comments. I just wanted to know if anyone else was running K&N pod's and what piping kits were/are available to suit them non-AFM style.

Cheers,

Ed