SAU Community

Top 5 Oil Test

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me protection qualities far outweigh a few kw...

in any case the variables could not be kept constant enough not to allow for slight variations...diff oil temp,gearbox oil temp,boost pressure,ambient air temp,the list goes on...vince is a nice bloke but this test means sh1t to me .

Not really into it cos they missed a few things like whether they warmed the cars up to operating temp e.g 80+ degrees for the oil and the rpms can never be accurate as your controlling them by foot so each run could be up to 100rpm off.

im glad motul did well though as thats the brand im sticking with and i run castrol edge in my beema.

yep sure is

Aww dats da badst, jst checked out my ignition DVD's again -pretty damn good presenter too, glad he's on the forums.

ill definitely check out that new motive dvd too

i ran Repsol sythetic oil in my w/shop for over 5 years, also run it in my go-karts, have found it to be excellent. At the end of the day people all have their favourite, just make sure when you buy an engine oil that it has been API tested which is an independent testing proceedure that tests that the oil meets or exceeds the specs specified. Alot of oils on the shelf at your local auto part store have not had this testing, therefore might not meet the specs specified....it is a round stamp on the back of the container that will have API SJ/SL for example. It costs the oil company a pretty penny to have this testing, probably why they all dont do it. Also dont mix up oil grade with oil viscosity which is a common mistake. Running the incorrect viscosity oil could see you loose performance. while the incorrect grade could cause damage and or blockages in late model common rail diesels.

im not surprised the Castrol performed poorly. Castrol was a swear word in my shop lol.

LOL.

As much as I want Nulon to be the best, what was with the fan up on the grill for the Nulon run?

A shame nobody has run 5 taxi's for 150,000kms with the different oils to get a comparison for protection.

Just because changing oil makes more power doesn't mean a lot.

Does it then mean the oil is less protective? Does is mean there is more wear?

Many questions it doesn't answer, outright power isn't everything.

I did a similar test on an STI once but never released it because the the STI was so in-consistant due to the " self learning" ECU it has.

Even with identical oil temp, air temps and same oil, it couldnt even do a back to back run that was similar ( it had a front mount so heat soak wasnt an issue)

Thats why I dont pay too much attention to these sort of tests. i look at oil pressure under various circumstances, engine wear and the oils condition after track days etc.

These tests are pretty useless, as has been said there are way too many variables that can't be controlled - one of the less obvious (but most impacting) variables being the climate / ambient temperature of the place where your car is driven/stored. Start up and cool down is where a great deal of engine wear occurs.

I use GW Sougi 6000 myself, but I sell the stuff so that's only natural :(

aside from the question mark of the fan being much closer in the nulon test, i'd also want a separate test of each oil run for 5,000km in normal driving and then a UOA done on it. I care more about protecting my engine than 5kw.

What up.

I should be here more, I'm a GTR fan that got lost and bought 3 Silvias

but you love them all :)

ive seen your ns sig

something along the lines of

my family is complete s13 daily, jet200 track and s15 missus car