SAU Community

Holiday To Japan - Any Advice - What To See, Where To Go

boostn32

My partner and i are going to Japan for 3 weeks from 3rd of october to 25th. Mel can speak japanese so that will be a great help.

we are going to see a round of D1 at fuji speed way and see a few other things. can anyone suggest places to stay, things to do. we want to hopefully find some fun at

night with the car seen. we all know what they get up to. anyone have any contacts over there, im trying to get in touch with an old friend that i met here but he moved back a few years ago.

but anyone else would be great, thanks Luke

Hey,

I dont know much about the car scene tbh i dident see many skylines there at all.

If you want to do some sight seing there is much i could reccomend but my personal fav would be.

Kyoto - its a great city(was the capital before tokyo) and has a massive train station i have seen nothing like it in the world the whole complex is like 3 times the size of the world trade subway station in new york. the train station is great u can get there on the bullet train but what really is good in kyoto is the golden temple its a temple built for a shogun in like the 1300s made out of gold its really amazing

800px-KinkakuSnow2Awp.jpg

Hiroshima - the place the a bomb 1st hit it has mounds in the parks made up of the ashs of the victoms of the bombs and has a building that wasent killed by the bomb. i found it really amazing to be in a place where so many lives were just wiped out in a instant they also have many memorals around which is worth seing and they have a flame which is never extinguised untill there is no nukes in the world or somethen it one place you MUST see if you go to japan.

Itsukushima shrine is also near hiroshima u have proberly seen the pictures of the red sticks poken out of the water in a lake. to my understanding its something to do with religion i dident really pay attention and dident really care about it but alot of toursists go there and the rest of my family liked it so you may like it.

mt fuji is great if u get it on a nice day

thers some markets around and alot of temples but its up to you with what your interested

but 1 tip.. make sure you have a good camera there is so many nice things to see in japan out of all the countrys i have been to it has proberly the best country side and things to actually see and take pictures of in the world.

do the following

disney land, disney sea *both in chiba*

go to lawsons and read mags like the locals

go to ueno zoo, walk around each of the stations in the loop i believe in the loop it goes eibsu, ueno, akihabara, shinjuku, odaiba, shibuya, harajuku, ginza.

and you will notice a different trend. its a must you have to do it.

visit tokyo tower, also visit. whats that place called?... "thunder gates".. asukusa i believe its called.. mega huge temple.. perfect for whitebreads.. lol

now heres a good tricky bit ill let you in my secret... look on the train map and look for a place called toshimaiyen i think its called.. theres a really good spa retreat there..with onsens and all.. dont puss out and leavce.. but take in the scene while ur there..onsens are the best things followed by haagendas green tea or cookies and cream ice cream..and remembe the proper rules when your there so u dont shock the locals, wash yourself in the small stall.. then use the ladel and pour onsen water over yourself.

then visit a izakaya i think its spelt.. its been so long since i been to japan...

After that go to ikebukero look for the "squid ball bomb" takoyaki bomb!!.. then after that go to manjatown! then followed by love hotel *look for places saying -rest- XXXXyen*

NEVER NEVER CATCH TAXI's! pretty staight forward rule... it will seriously rip your wallet open :laugh:

train / walk.. follow by the following drinks from lawsons - mistuya cider, ramonde, milk tea, boss coffee

there prolly heaps more but i cant think this early in the moring when my fingers are about to fall off due to cold ness.

hope you love it like i did!

Its and awesome place you'll love it.

Make sure you goto 'Shibuya' in Tokoyo and 'Akhibara' as well. Tokyo tower is worth seeing as well...

If you goto Kyoto grab a pedal bike and roam around the city...

For local travel you are better of buying a Suica travel card, 500Yen but is very handy.. and you can use it to pay for your meals at major restaurants.... do try Moss Burger :laugh:

and stay out of small dark allies around the Shingawa and SHibuya region :D

Have fun cheers mate....

As for the cars... i was a little disappointed, Tokyo wasn't what i expected it to be... Saw very few supped up cars but a few new r35 GTRs (this was last year) but a hell lot of Masaratis and other expensive european cars.....and that too some of them Left Hand Drives...

Thanks guys, should be a good holiday. we will be sure to post some happy snaps when we get back, hopefully i can find some

cars out at night. From the pictures ive seen it looks time a pretty cool place, always wanted to experence there culture.

Nissan HQ in Ginza was alright if you want some rare Nissan gear or mementos.

I pretty much caught the JR everywhere and took the shinkansen from Tokyo to Hiroshima which I would definitely recommend as stated above, go see the war memorial they have and if you're lost just hop into a taxi and ask him to take you to the A-Bomb Dome, taxis aren't that expensive in Hiroshima compared to Tokyo.

I also took the shinkansen to Kyoto, went and saw this awesome castle owned by some shogun, it had floors that would creep and squeak as you approached the main building to warn the shogun of incoming assassins, it was a very good historical experience.

By the way I pretty much did this not knowing a word of Japanese, it was quite easy if you stay at a nice hotel and get the concierge to help you out, she wrote down on pieces of paper where i wanted to go and I would just show them to train officals if I got lost, but having a travelling companion who speaks the language will make things so much easier.

On the final leg of the trip I took a flight from Tokyo to Hokkaido then a bus to Niseko and went skiing, pure white beautiful powder snow if you're into that, but that was in January.

Hiroshima seems like a good place to go, yeah we are going to get the JR passes before we go. the snow was like that in canada when we went there last december.

we are going to see a couple of volcano's so that should be interesting. disney land and spaland are also places we are going. big thrill seakers.

I just got back from Japan, and mainly all the places above.I went to Okayama track for the D1 round 3 and4 and mate you'll love it at Mount Fuji track, if you love drift as much as i do!!But yes keep out of taxis stick with the rail,a lil confusing but get the hang of it pretty quick, oh and they are sooo accurate with there times, nothing is late unless there is a earth quake !! Definitly worth going to hiroshima A bomb site.