SAU Community

Choices, What Would You Do?

My mate is tossing up between three different cars, but has no idea which to take.

#1. R34 GTT - Good nick, basic mods, low ks. Ugly rims.

#2. S15 - Yellow with a kit, intercooler, low ks and a huge sunroof. Excellent condition. This one is also $3,000 less than the other two.

#3. R33 GTR - Car has done a reasonable amount of ks, but is immaculate. It looks better than the two above mentioned cars despite being a '95. Has been babied by a mechanic, and is putting out a conservative 270awkw. It's insanely fast.

We're having trouble deciding. If he took the GTR it would be a weekend car, but the other two would probably end up being dailys.

So the real questions are: GTR or not? Then RB or SR?

I know these questions get asked a lot, but we're honestly really struggling to make a decisions and could use some feedback from people with experience.

Thanks.

That's like asking what sort of cereal we eat.

Everyone will have a different opinion for different reasons, but for my personal choice, it would be the GT-R.

What a nice position to be in :P

It's personal preference with the RB vs SR part, I personally like the 6 cyls so it would be out of the two skylines.... In saying that, S15's are sweeeeet!

Now you have to weigh up - age, high km and awesomeness of being a GTR vs low km, newer (and better looking :teehee:) but not a GTR...

So i guess if he wants a daily go the GTT, if he wants a weekender go the GTR!

R33 GT-R in excellent cond. is hard to beat...

very hard to beat...

extremely hard to beat...

Flashback to 1995:- Mr Nurburgring shut his eyes for 8 minutes, woke up and said, " What happened?" :teehee:

GTR owned by mechanic means that it's got the world's best cover up.

trust me it will handgrenade a month after you buy it.

I'd personally go the S15 as it's cheaper, in better condition, probably newer than the other two and will be cheaper to insure and will make for a great daily.

You could be right (after hearing tales about 'mechanics and their cars)! = I could be wrong!

So what's this mechanic like?

= How knowledgeable?

= How trustworthy?

= What's his maturity like?

= What do his bona fides say about him? = Testimonies?

GTR owned by mechanic means that it's got the world's best cover up.

trust me it will handgrenade a month after you buy it.

I'd personally go the S15 as it's cheaper, in better condition, probably newer than the other two and will be cheaper to insure and will make for a great daily.

Ok here's whats the deal with each car im looking at,

GTR R33 - spoke to a dude today who knew about it at a dealership. the guy wanted 25k or 26k and they told him he was dreaming and that it has had the 2 rear quarter panels replaced. when i looked at it on the hoist the day earlier i didnt see anything wrong with it my self but also i wasnt as serious about that car as i am now. it could also be the dealer spinning **&&. so i will check it out next time. it has 130kms on the clock aswell, all pretty standard aswell with beautiful big wheels on it.

R34 - looked good clean 76,000kms on the clock, air pod and exhaust for mods and pretty quick for near standard. noted 2 bald tyres on the back and when we took it for a test drive he liked to get it swaying left to right with the wheels spinning. but overall a bit plain.

s15 - 120,000kms legit ones with full service history with log books and manual etc - mods - bov, cooler, exhaust, bodykit and some sort of after market tail lights. looked good but would have to be cop bait! lol. comes with sunroof aswell plus is a little cheaper than the other 2 and may get some coin my way too. oh and no rims just stockys with full tread.

all three are clean inside and dont have rediculous cr4p hanging off everywhere inside the car.

at the moment its like this for me

1. S15 if i get some cash my way

2. R33 gtr & R34. just cant weigh up the issue of having a standard r34 or a 95 year old car that requires tlc in the future.

why would a mechanic sell or swap a gtr?

why would a mechanic sell or swap a gtr?

1) to get a newer GT-R

2) his 3rd kid is on the way & there's only 4 seatbelts

3) kept his Rio Tinto instead of selling them 7 months ago

4) 2 months behind mortgage payments

5) his mother-in-law is getting to him

6) he can't figure out what happened to his R33 after getting it towed back from the track

Actually, I don't know!

Better find out!

You could be right (after hearing tales about 'mechanics and their cars)! = I could be wrong!

So what's this mechanic like?

= How knowledgeable?

= How trustworthy?

= What's his maturity like?

= What do his bona fides say about him? = Testimonies?

well he seems really good and is on the ball. said he had a gtr r32 with 400kw and swapped it for this clean r33 gtr but now is over it and wants a turbo auto hence where i come into it i have a GTA evo 7. my auto gearbox looks to be stuffed. happend 2 days ago im so pissed. it got repaired 2 months ago and has done it again so im taking it somewhere else i think and sending them the bill. but thats a whole different and long story i wont go into. but even still i was upfront about it and he said not a problem get it fixed and ill swap ya. he seems really keen, my car does look great but to many rev heads it would be a turn off to have a sports car in auto. but he wants an auto and seriously you would not see a better car than this on the road for its price.

he really seems honest and genuine.

i guess at the end of the day it is really down to these factors - age, looks - (rims, paint, panels), kms, prestige.

ok here what we will do mark the cars out of 10 for the following.

LOOKS - Shape

MODS

KMS

PRESTIGE - owning

heres what i have for them

r33 GTR

AGE - 4

LOOKS - 5 ( starting to look a bit dated thanks to the r33 gtst's and gts's running around everywhere now)

MODS - 7 (dont think i would want to many mods on a car that is to be a daily so scores higher though its got near none)

KMS - 6 (130kms if legit that would be good i guess)

PRESTIGE - 9 (its a gtr how much more do i have to say)

R34

AGE - 6 (98 model, 11 years old gee time flys)

LOOKS - 8 (Looks great now with the 400r kit on it, still a bit plain with the all white and average wheels)

MODS - 5 (pod and exhaust, im going to have to do some work to get it up there in the KWs but is still quick though and legal so could have gave higher than a 5.)

KMS - 8 (76,000kms if legit are great may not be dude is a mechanic i think)

PRESTIGE - 7 (but i feel that soon they could become common like the r33)

S15

AGE - 8 (01' model fresh meat yum!)

LOOKS - 9 (looks great, excellent condition everywhere besides some jizz stains on one of the seats)

MODS - 8 (for a car this old i dont mind the mods and it comes with service history)

KMS - 7.5 (125,000kms - i know they are legit from log books and reciepts, no log books and the car could have done any amount of kms.

PRESTIGE - 6.5 ( in my eyes i rate it just below the r34 only because of 2 fast 2 furious making the r34 a colt.)

heres the tallys i got and is probabley how i feel it is at the moment, i like the 200sx to an extent but thought the GTR should have been higher. i guess if i truely know its done the KMs claimed by the owner and no previous damage then it would rate higher again.

R34 GTT = 35

R33 GTR = 31

S15 200sx = 39

I know how its hard for yous to rate the cars because you havent seen them but with the info available see how you go and what you rate important.

thanks

looks like you've already figured out the wise choice.

fuck rims, any muppet can buy rims and stick em on a car, doesn't make the car they're attached to any better or worse, so they shouldn't even matter in the decision makin process.

buy the S15.

95 GTR's are only worth about 22k to 24k max, esp a stock one, anyone who argues otherwise should get their head checked and prepare for a swift kick to the nuts.

I think you've done your homework well!

Now...

Tonight, dream you're in the S15

Tomorrow night, dream you're in the R34 GT-T after photoshopping some nice rims on it

Monday night, dream you're in the R33 GT-R

Tuesday morning you'll be so relieved you've made the right decision!

But...

Check out the car thoroughly + your 'brains trust' present!

All the best!

Few things.

Like hell that GT-R is stock. 270awkw remember? You even said the thing nearly threw you into the back seat when it accelerated, and you've been in a lot of fast cars before.

The ad even says it has a pair of HKS2530s in it.

Just remember, whilst the S15 seems like the wise choice, it is also the least valuable of the three. So IF you can get cash your way (probably difficult from a dealer) it's great, but if you don't you've effectively lost a fair bit of money come resale time.

Oh my friend reminded me the turbos have been upgraded to HKS ones? cant see them so dont know if its true i guess it must be lol

Dyno figures then? Runs at what boost?

Checked compression figures?

Still a great car! Just remember the S15 only carries rear passengers with 'legs cut off' or in 'lotus position'.

As above post implies, it's true that GT-Rs depreciate less than other cars mentioned.

Dyno figures then? Runs at what boost?

Checked compression figures?

Still a great car! Just remember the S15 only carries rear passengers with 'legs cut off' or in 'lotus position'.

i rarely have more than 1 passenger in my car.

what do you reckon will be better for resale in a few years time out of the 3?

You do like 25,000km per year. The GTT. Even if it is wound back.

An S15 with nearly 200,000km on the clock is still an S15 with 200,000k's on the clock, regardless of the fact you've got perfect records since manufacture.

If you fix that Integra up and only use these cars for the weekend then the GTR is probably your best choice as it is already pretty old and will depreciate the least.