SAU Community

Intercooler Pipes Not Staying On Under Hard Driving.

i got the same problem like you. My intercooler pipe keep comes off when driven hard. But then i welded a lip at the end of the piping where it join, the problem seems to be fixed now Should weld a lip at the end of the pipiing and use heavy duty clamp and that should fix the problem.

the sad thing is by the time you buy a full set of decent clamps (like sard dual bead, very good) and some decent joiners, and then get the bracket cut and re-welded, and then get the piping cut, and then get lips welded or rolled on all the piping you have spent so much time and money and yet you still have a 'cheap' intercooler. you could have just bought a good kit in the beginning and fitted it without hassle and without having to mod or change half the bits.

the sad thing is by the time you buy a full set of decent clamps (like sard dual bead, very good) and some decent joiners, and then get the bracket cut and re-welded, and then get the piping cut, and then get lips welded or rolled on all the piping you have spent so much time and money and yet you still have a 'cheap' intercooler. you could have just bought a good kit in the beginning and fitted it without hassle and without having to mod or change half the bits.

Yeah but I doubt this would be the same for every cheap intercooler going around.

I really just think they tried to make it so that it came as close to a universal fitment as possible to cut cost.

That way all they have to do is throw in a handful of random nuts and bolts, then send it on it's way.

i got the same problem like you. My intercooler pipe keep comes off when driven hard. But then i welded a lip at the end of the piping where it join, the problem seems to be fixed now Should weld a lip at the end of the pipiing and use heavy duty clamp and that should fix the problem.

Not sure if I will weld it yet as I don't have a welder. My mate can do it for me eventually though.

Just got some clamps now from Just Jap. Overnight postage rocks.

Nice dp btw. Looks like a Tommy Kaira kit. ;)

+1 for welding a lip on the end of the pipe, mine is missing the bracket to hold the crossover pipe to the motor which I think may have had something to do with mine sliding off, does yours have it on?

I also used Fleetguard clamps and tightened the hell out of them, which i'm pretty sure you shouldn't have to do, I'd be trying hairspray as well next time lol.

I had the pipe popping off in the same place, just replaced them all with T-bolt clamps and never looked back

I think there would be a problem running T-bolt clamps in that location as it's the sharp 90 degree rubber bend that joins the engine bay pipe to the inner guard pipe. They have these ridges on them that would prevent you from putting anything bulkier than a worm drive in there. To go T-bolt you would have to replace the bend also.

+1 for welding a lip on the end of the pipe, mine is missing the bracket to hold the crossover pipe to the motor which I think may have had something to do with mine sliding off, does yours have it on?

I also used Fleetguard clamps and tightened the hell out of them, which i'm pretty sure you shouldn't have to do, I'd be trying hairspray as well next time lol.

I don't remember seeing any sort of bracket. A bracket would do the trick though.

i got the same intercooler kit on my r34 and have had no problems and happy with the installation. i didnt install it though lol. but it fits nicely and didnt have to cut any metal at all, and ive had no problems with piping coming off with it so far (touch wood).

i got the same intercooler kit on my r34 and have had no problems and happy with the installation. i didnt install it though lol. but it fits nicely and didnt have to cut any metal at all, and ive had no problems with piping coming off with it so far (touch wood).

Yeah the centre bonnet latch support is closer to centre on the 34's. Slight difference in the front end means the kit is a perfect fit on a 34. I was surprised how good the kit was. Easily fit and decent quality.

Not sure if I will weld it yet as I don't have a welder. My mate can do it for me eventually though.

Just got some clamps now from Just Jap. Overnight postage rocks.

Nice dp btw. Looks like a Tommy Kaira kit. :P

haha ya it's original Tommy Kaira front bar. It looks more aggressive. Anyway where are you located? i got my intercooler piping remove then welded with lips at all ends and put back at only 30 dollar by RE Customs. Till now they haven't come off when i rev over 6000rpm. ;)

man u r right. I'd spent so much money just to re do the shit piping while i save money buying cheap intercooler kit. Should have go for good kit at first. Alternative way just to get cheap core and got someone else to customise the piping for it.

haha ya it's original Tommy Kaira front bar. It looks more aggressive. Anyway where are you located? i got my intercooler piping remove then welded with lips at all ends and put back at only 30 dollar by RE Customs. Till now they haven't come off when i rev over 6000rpm. :)

I am in Melbourne.

All the piping I have already has been lipped. They are small but it should suffice.

I tried the new clamps last night. They are much better than the standard ones.

While I took everything off I found out one of the problems. One of the pipes coming from the intercooler comes up through the hole in the chassis on a slight angle. So when I tighten the clamp it creates a gap which is now leaking boost. I was in a rush and couldn't see if it wasn't sealing properly being dark.

So tonight I am going to rip out everything and make sure all the piping lines up perfectly. Might take a few nights at my rate but I will let everyone know how it goes. :)