SAU Community

Trust 517z Vs Hks Gt-ss Vs Garrett 2860-7's

I know there are lotsa topics comparing these turbos but just need you guys to help me decide which one to choose according to what i have available... Can get a second hand x2 Trust 517Z wit stainless manifold and trust dumps and front pipes. just been rebuilt.. for $3000 without gasket kit and whatever else to fit.. ORR brand new Garrett 2860'7's wit gasket kit for $2730 new.. ORRR HKS GT-SS complete kit brand new for $3100...This is for my GTR.. What do you guys think would be the best value out of the lot ??????? Help much appreciated, been trying to decide for days.. Also im not after huge amounts of power, just want to get rid of the factory bombs... If i were to get to garrett or HKS i would probs still get dumps and front pipes...So i guess that has to be factored in...

Edited by ChakGTR

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a price on 2860 -5's (can make around 500-550 i think)

the 2860 -7 can only make about 400-450ish i think maxed out

wat supporting mods do u have? wat power are u aiming at? are u aiming at building the motor up if its not already forged? is the car for street or track use? all these things are gonna tell u wat turbo kit you should be buying

give this a read too..

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/HK...ust-t32258.html

Edited by snozzle

get a price on 2860 -5's (can make around 500-550 i think)

the 2860 -7 can only make about 400-450ish i think maxed out

wat supporting mods do u have? wat power are u aiming at? are u aiming at building the motor up if its not already forged? is the car for street or track use? all these things are gonna tell u wat turbo kit you should be buying

give this a read too..

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/HK...ust-t32258.html

Im just wanting it for road use.. Not too much lag.. Iv'e made my mind up on these three turbos particularly the Trust 517z but just want to know if this is good value compared to the others listed..?? Ive currently got exhaust 3", apexi pods, Power FC, Gizzmo electronic boost..Will be tuning once installed....Might buy some injectors and Upgrade fuel pump too..

go the -9 as they flow a little better than the -7's and less lag then the -5's; keep your purchases to garrett as they are easily repaired in australia so there is no need to seek outside help from japan for HKS items.

i have trust t517z 8cm. i like it. strong mid range power. peak power also not bad. here is some info from a old thread.

517Z's(not mine), 2860R, HKSGT2530@24psi and 2860R on std manifolds@26psi my t517z 8cm on 20psi.

At 95km/h, 85kw 95kw 90kw 85kw 111kw

At 112km/h, 105kw 140kw 130kw 130kw 208kw

At 128km/h, 155kw 240kw 200kw 200kw 275kw

At 145km/h, 255kw 305kw 296kw 317kw 305kw

At 160km/h, 330kw 325kw 315kw 350kw 340kw

At 178km/h, 360kw 350kw 355kw 361kw 343kw

At 194km/h, 365kw 358kw 372kw Chart stops

2 more timing = 370kw. but more knock, i don't want it. with the 343kw tune the knock only go up to 18.(no idea on track)

different support mods also make the power different:) i know t517z is not bb turbo, but my t517z has done 35000kms on it, still running strong.

hope you can find right turbo :D

-9's are about 1100-1200ea... makes sense you would buy those as they are the cheapest.

They are cheap because unlike the -5 and -7's, they don't come with wastegates, have to buy them seperate

if u want to use ur car as a daily, go the -7 or -9 (i have never heard of -9's tho?)they will both give u good performance inside the stock motors safety limits

id recommend the -5's tho as they make alot of power for street use just incase u wanna build your motor up and avoid upgrading turbos again

+1 for aussie turbos as they are cheaper and less hassle to rebuild which u wont have to worry about anytime soon anyway

hks do make better turbos in the big singles but wen it comes to the twin turbo setups, garret turbos are just as good

im running 2860 -7's at the moment with full exhaust but still has the stock airbox, everything else is stock, im making 232kw on 13psi on stock ecu, hoping to make around 280kw with a tune on higher boost, they are pretty much same as stock turbos, maybe abit bigger, but steel wheel and ball bearing, but thats plenty of power for me...

Edited by snozzle

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...9R_707160_9.htm

Turbochargers > GT28 Family > GT2859R - 707160 - 9 print turbo comparison sheet

* Ball bearing

* Oil & Water-cooled bearing system

* T25 turbine inlet flange with threaded bolt holes instead of traditional through holes

* Standard T25 oil drain flange

* Turbine housing has a unique "compact" 5-bolt outlet that is not interchangeable with traditional T25 5-bolt outlets

* Turbine housing is cast from high-nickel "Ni-Resist" material for extreme applications

* Turbine wheel is cast from "Inconel" material for extreme applications

* Direct replacement upgrade turbocharger for GT2556R (702987-7) on Nissan RB26DETT used in Skyline R34 GT-R

* Great size for applications w/ packaging constraints

* Ideal for smaller displacement engines making up to 330 hp

* Actuator not included

HKS turbo's always outperform Garrett and Trust....always.

HKS is the best choice.

Pretty sure the Oz publications did a turbo shootout with a bunch of twins where if I remember rightly the T517Zs provided the best all around performance? They certainly seem to be the goods.

Actuators dude... actuators...

It clearly says

* Turbine housing has a unique "compact" 5-bolt outlet that is not interchangeable with traditional T25 5-bolt outlets

* Turbine housing is cast from high-nickel "Ni-Resist" material for extreme applications

^ in bold - means they have a rear housing mate, always have, always will

Plus most places supply an actuator as part of their price anyway

Pretty sure the Oz publications did a turbo shootout with a bunch of twins where if I remember rightly the T517Zs provided the best all around performance? They certainly seem to be the goods.

One of the Vic circuit boys had these and even the generic Garrett's were better. That shootout your refering to was done with different cars...a telling factor in my opinion...the 517's graph looks like it was done in 3rd gear...they were results correlated from data gained over a period of time from the dyno's ecu memory on different days and possibly different years. If i remember rightly it was Tillbrooks dyno data that was used. The Vic. circuit car did a back to back.

that is without doubt one of the stupidest things i have seen written on this forum...

My statement was not stupid at all...its based on facts and actual 'back to back' testing on the same car, dyno, driver and racetrack.

Quite often im asked how i get such good results...simple...i now only use HKS turbo's. Currently using the following on our cars HKS2510's (street) HKS T04Z (circuit) HKS T51R SPL BB (drag) and have used in the past HKS 2530's and HKS GT-RS's. All turbo's have performed with better results from any of the 'equivalent' items from other manufacturers.

Edited by DiRTgarage

ask JAGR33... he went from the T517z to the -5s... made slightly less peak power but more response and midrange... I've got T517z and they are borderline for a street setup... I like the way they come on as it feels fast, even if its not hehe

anyway go the garrets as they offer the best performance at the best price... I agree HKS are slightly better but also a lot more expensive with the exchange rate the way it is