SAU Community

Trust 517z Vs Hks Gt-ss Vs Garrett 2860-7's

and have a featherweight car, better gearbox, better driver etc....and they use 4th gear...lol

your post was smart and cheeky though...full marks for that.

the research rev210 did was a better example though...sorry.

Haha glad you appreciated it :( Can't take these threads too seriously, but it is interesting to try and get to the bottom of it - I struggle to see in most cases what HKS could do to make something that is made up of essentially the same parts could be wildly different. If I were more bored (could happen still) I'll go through the RB26 dyno results to see for myself, isolate a few variables such as boost level and modification level to see if I can get a control boost/mod level - if I do, I'll post the results regardless of whose favour (if any) it swings in. I don't have a blind preference, though make no secret that I find it hard to believe that two turbos with the same part numbers would somehow be completely different... however if it turns out to be true it'll be very useful to know.

It does seem weird that the GT2860-5s have an average power of just over 300kw @ wheels when its well known and proven they can go well over that power level without much trouble at all - kindof makes it seem that there are probably a few cars (if the sample is small enough it'd only need one) which are no way near leaning on the flow levels to drag the results right down, or one making a huge power level on the 2530s to drag the average up.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are definitely enough difference I think that make the HKS turbos worth buying. mark and russ's "hi-octane" R32 is one in particular that made me question my faith with their results another set-up is ronin_09 who has a stock RB26 with the 2530 sized garret equivalents.

the other thing is, when you buy a set of say HKS GT-SS turbos, you get:

both turbos, with high quality, adjustable actuators fitted AND adjusted. they definitely do cast their own exhaust housings and in some cases both housings. I have also been told that their exact wheel trims/specs despite being made by garret cannot be bought by anyone except HKS. HKS design the turbos to work specifically on certain engine and car combo. the garret wheels will not be much different though these days so that advantage is only small.

with the HKS turbos you also get every part needed to fit them. oil feeds where needed, oil drains, nuts, bolts, ALL gaskets (including manifold gaskets etc which amounts to hundreds of $$ to buy separately).

they are always very nicely finished. i've often seen generic garrets that could have used a bit of hand finishing.

their performance and quality is well proven. and by the time you option up your garrets with all the other little parts often the cost to go HKS is not much more.

I think either option represents good value, but personally go HKS.

one other thing about the car lithium mentioned, mark and russ's R32. it's a pretty special case. it has an engine built with love by mark who learned a lot of tricks building his RB26s and is very handy to begin with. they were running all the good stuff, super rare GT block, Tomei top of the range full counter crank, good rods and pistons, well chosen cams, good tune, LOTS of boost and no real corners cut. not sure how much lighter it was though, it had very extensive cage, GIANT size brakes which weigh a tone and lots of other gear added to it which kind of negated the weight saved from the few carbon bits on it.

both turbos, with high quality, adjustable actuators fitted AND adjusted. they definitely do cast their own exhaust housings and in some cases both housings. I have also been told that their exact wheel trims/specs despite being made by garret cannot be bought by anyone except HKS. HKS design the turbos to work specifically on certain engine and car combo. the garret wheels will not be much different though these days so that advantage is only small.

I stand corrected! Good info.

Personal experience has put me off HKS turbos, as my last pair were horrible. I guess some HKS turbos are better than others....

Hi mate no chat on rb26 turbo upgrade thread so i just answer you here:) my rev limit is 7800. my car make 280kw on 128kmh yours 230-240. i think because i got a 256 camshaft thats why the the midrange is stronger, and peak power is not thats good. :D

And how accurate would you say this comparison is??

I don't see the point of comparing power figures of different cars on different dynos on different days on different rubber on different tyre pressures ....... shall I go on????

I have done a back to back test on my car on the same dyno with the same mods on the same tyres on the same tyre pressures but not the same day, although temperatures were not that different...

I HAD T517's (8cm) ON MY CAR, I NOW HAVE GARRETT -5's (actually 4 years now.)

My aim is for response AND power for circuit and street use...

Does that mean that its the be all end all of setups?? NO, but its good enough in my eyes and couldn't give a FARK what anyone else thinks.

So in other words what may be good for you may not be good for everybody else.... :D

Oh and the garrett vs hks debate is always a cracker....

Close thread????

• 1 month later...
You can add HKS 2835's to that list as well.

Dirt Garage, if HKS turbos always outperform Garrett (a turbo manufacturing company) what do they know that Garrett don't? To think HKS source turbos from Garrett and then modify them to improve performance is naive at best. The only reason you should purchase a HKS turbo, is in a kit, so everything bolts on for your application.

HKS turbos used to be unique when they had deals with Garrett for exclusivity of certain turbo types (ie. 2530 size). Now that Garrett offer almost every turbo in their range to the public, HKS turbos are nothing more than wank-factor for fan boys.

i have to agree with dirtgarage but only on a few specific hks models (the ones generally with their own housings and or comp covers) those that lack these covers or housing are generic garret.. Among the many turbo tests, I did a back to back on my personal 180sx with garret 2835's vs HKS 2835 equiv and gt3037's and the difference was well worth the extr $$.

In the TRUST vs generic Mitsubishi debate and the BLITZ vs KKK, it far more simple in all TRUST and BLITZ cases the turbo's ARE NOT available from the parent company. BLITZ use KKK housings but turbonetics wheels, trust mix and match so many comp and exh wheels and housings nearly nothing is out of the box hence the expense. I cant remember but there is some ridiculous man hours in assy and machining each blitz turbo........

Edited by URAS

If you can buy a cartridge of the same part number as used in a HKS spec Garrett turbo you are getting the same thing .

Its usually the wheel trims that vary with HKS spec turbos and yes they often use model specific turbine housings .

With comp housings they generally do things like port shrouding where Garrett doesn't have a suitable part .

For example on an RB six cylinder spec GTRS the comp cover is a non Garrett ported housing . The SR version uses a Nissan/Garrett commonly available compressor housing .

The thing is its more expensive to produce a low volume application specific housing (either) and they only do it when nothing suitable is available off Garrett's shelf .

A .

What are -10s like on a (stock for now) RB26? Is it worth getting them in anticipation of more later (built 26 or if I'm feeling rich a 2.8L) or should I simply go with -5s?

What are -10s like on a (stock for now) RB26? Is it worth getting them in anticipation of more later (built 26 or if I'm feeling rich a 2.8L) or should I simply go with -5s?

i had rs's on my 26, full boost was 5500-6000rpm. had the characteristics of a large single like my mates t88 on his 26.

rs's on my 30 is awesome, boost comes in 3500rpm like when i had ss's on my other 26

i had rs's on my 26, full boost was 5500-6000rpm. had the characteristics of a large single like my mates t88 on his 26.

rs's on my 30 is awesome, boost comes in 3500rpm like when i had ss's on my other 26

Thanks for the info. Potentially a bit big for even a built street 2.6L then. So I would have to be sure I would increase capacity.

which jap turbo is most favoured i.e. hks, trust or blitz?

what advantages do u get with the conventional bush driven trust? it seems old technology to me

For me it is all application and engine dependant. We sell and use 4 GARRETS to every other make combined but that is a customer budget restraint more than anything.

One example being the SR20 ive found the best all rounder is the TD06 L2 @ 300rwkw. i can not get any Garret turbo to match it, ive directley tried at least 15 differrent combos.

RB26 is usage / recipe dependant, the K5 on our car is more responsive than twin 2530's yet makes more top end too....

But most importantly for me they are more durable than the ball bearing gear.

Edited by URAS

For me it is all application and engine dependant. We sell and use 4 GARRETS to every other make combined but that is a customer budget restraint more than anything.

One example being the SR20 ive found the best all rounder is the TD06 L2 @ 300rwkw. i can not get any Garret turbo to match it, ive directley tried at least 15 differrent combos.

RB26 is usage / recipe dependant, the K5 on our car is more responsive than twin 2530's yet makes more top end too....

But most importantly for me they are more durable than the ball bearing gear.

Got any favorite for 26/30??? what would you choose if you were using it primarily for drift? turbo selection sends my head spinning around and round!! I think i need to buy one and be done with it!