SAU Community

R33 Takes Long Time To Start

islade

Hey guys,

I've noticed recently that my car takes a long time to start.

I've put on a turbo, intercooler, had a quick tune at gavin woods, so somewhere in there something has happened.

Everything works perfectly, but i used to turn the key for a quarter of a second and get it started, now i'm sitting there for a few seconds while the starter motor keeps trying to get it started, sorta like if you have a low battery, but i've only had this battery a few months and i've done a few highway runs so i know it would have good charge (and it's not doing 'slow' starter motor sounds).

What could this be? I've tried searching for a few terms but can't find anything helpful.

Hey guys,

I've noticed recently that my car takes a long time to start.

I've put on a turbo, intercooler, had a quick tune at gavin woods, so somewhere in there something has happened.

Everything works perfectly, but i used to turn the key for a quarter of a second and get it started, now i'm sitting there for a few seconds while the starter motor keeps trying to get it started, sorta like if you have a low battery, but i've only had this battery a few months and i've done a few highway runs so i know it would have good charge (and it's not doing 'slow' starter motor sounds).

What could this be? I've tried searching for a few terms but can't find anything helpful.

[/quote

Battery could be too low of CCA capacity. Try fitting a known good larger battery out of another vehicle to see if it changes on crank. I would still put my money on the battery regardless of age.

as has been said, could be the battery not having enough amps, or it could be a fuel or spark issue. if you haven't changed the plugs in a while, might be worth replacing them (doesn't hurt and they are pretty cheap at only a few dollars each)

how about new injectors or spark plugs? had them changed recently?
as has been said, could be the battery not having enough amps, or it could be a fuel or spark issue. if you haven't changed the plugs in a while, might be worth replacing them (doesn't hurt and they are pretty cheap at only a few dollars each)

Injectors and Spark Plugs haven't been touched since it was working fine a month ago.

I've put in a bosch 040 pump, could that have changed anything?

It could yea. did your fuel pressure get changed? what injectors do you have now? If you got a new turbo etc you must have already upgraded them? What turbo did you get?

try the obvious first and charge your battery before worrying too much about other things though.

Maybe with your new tune/setup your spark plugs are struggling a bit.

Injectors and Spark Plugs haven't been touched since it was working fine a month ago.

yes its your fuel pump that is causing the "problem"

try turning your ignition on without starting the car... allow the pump to prime and put pressure in the rail and then try and start

should start first time :D

spark plugs wear out over time and injectors get dirty. might be worth just pulling a few plugs out to have a look at them and see if they look like they are fouling up at all.

was it doing it before the fuel pump went in or did it start just after?

as has been said, make sure you give the pump time to prime before turning over. if you are and it still doesn't start easily then you can pretty much rule out the pump as it shouldn't affect things once primed.

yes its your fuel pump that is causing the "problem"

try turning your ignition on without starting the car... allow the pump to prime and put pressure in the rail and then try and start

should start first time :P

spot on, this was exactly how my car needed to be started after putting in an uprated fuel pump.

turn your car to acc, wait a sec then try turning it over.

Did you install a check valve on the fuel pump. If not, when you turn the pump off all the fuel will flow back through the pump back into the tank. So when you go to start it next time there will be no pressure in the lines. Install a check valve or you will need to prime the pump a few seconds more than normal before you start the car.