SAU Community

Should I Fake It Or Not

Most of you are aware I am in the middle of repainting my car in Ford Breeze and it will be time to start re assembling the car.

Looking at doing the roof rails and other exterior trims like the B and C pillar panels, the trim on the hatch above the number plate and the wind/rain deflectors, they are starting to look a bit tired.

I am considering going with a fake carbon look from Mad coatings on some of these items.

If I do not go with the carbon look, I might try what Ford are currently doing with thier colour schemes on the FPV's and use a dark charcoal grey to do these trims and roof rails.

Will the carbon look too fake or rice?

It will not be cheap to do, I am dropping to talk to Mad coatings on Monday and get a price. My guess could be $400-600.

http://www.mad-coatings.com/?page=gallery&...rod=carbonfiber

The dark green stagea in this thread has painted the roof rails in matching body colour. Looks pretty good I think.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Pi...amp;hl=uk%2A%2A

Fake CF? Waaaayy too ricey IMHO... I think that the charcoal would look ace with the colour you are painting it.

Having said that I am in my 30's... so maybe I am a little "old" for the whole CF thing. :)

hmm i dono, i kinda like the carbon look if its done right... like it would want to look just black or dark grey from a distance but up close it looks CF. I'd be having a look at it at their shop before making a decision...

Just my 2C :) then i again i do have a bright green speckle cam covers :) i like bright n fun, and your going for custom paint with an R34 front... its already showy might as well keep it going.

Colour coded roof rails are an improvement. Have you considered removing them? (ref methamphetamachine's "psymin")

I actually prefer the rails as to no rails.

Blits on the gold coast have the job making up new replacement roof rails

rb26stagea and greenghost started this off with them and have been waiting for over 4 months

I have a dead line to have the car fully sorted by the end of August, so I can not wait.

I AM 40! and think carbon fiber (done properly) is the sexiest thing since Salma Hayek :iluvff:

The key to CF imho is not to go stupid with it and cover too much.

Don't like rice? buy a Volvo LOL. There's rice and there's yuk. You'll never please everyone whatever you do. But some nicely done CF in the right places would look good imho.

I think the key here is;

Carbon fibre, has a great look, the weave gets picked up by the light.

Carbon fibre "look" is fairly shite; an excellent addition to your neighbours Hyundai wiper arms.

Don't forget "proper" carbon fibre can be wet laid onto virtually any surface, just depends on the depth of your pockets.

I AM 40! and think carbon fiber (done properly) is the sexiest thing since Salma Hayek :iluvff:

The key to CF imho is not to go stupid with it and cover too much.

Don't like rice? buy a Volvo LOL. There's rice and there's yuk. You'll never please everyone whatever you do. But some nicely done CF in the right places would look good imho.

I don't like rice and I did buy a Vol... Hey! Wait a minute!!!

CF can look great, namely as an exhaust surround on a Ferrari F1, but I think putting fake CF on the parts mentioned (roof rails, B and C pillar panels, the trim on the hatch above the number plate,wind/rain deflectors) would look a bit... well... cheap. Especially considering how much time and effort is being put into the conversion, not to mention that colour of paint!

btw carbon fiber as sexy as this?

salma_hayek_013.jpg

or this??

SalmaHayek_012.jpg

For shaaaaammmmme

Darrin, Fake cf? NO!

Blits are absolutely useless: do you want my roof rail replacement kit?? The Jap kit isn't ideal: doesn't sit how I want it to, so I'm more than likely going to get mine done in metal (welded), and let GreenGhost get a kit/moulds sorted.

For my money, I'd go the Audi look and chrome the suckers, if I were keeping them on, but I have no idea what the cost would: susbstantial would be my bet.

From the choices you offered, I would go the Charcoal.

My 2 cents...

CF can look great, namely as an exhaust surround on a Ferrari F1, but I think putting fake CF on the parts mentioned (roof rails, B and C pillar panels, the trim on the hatch above the number plate,wind/rain deflectors) would look a bit... well... cheap. Especially considering how much time and effort is being put into the conversion, not to mention that colour of paint!

salma_hayek_013.jpg

or this??

SalmaHayek_012.jpg

For shaaaaammmmme

Your lucky I have no photoshop skillz - or I'd be wrapping a naked Salma Hayek in carbon fiber :iluvff:

salma_hayek_013.jpg

or this??

SalmaHayek_012.jpg

For shaaaaammmmme

id like to present the award for BEST POST EVER to iamhe77 for his reference to Salma Hayek being hotter than carbon fibre.

but seriously, carbon can look good. but be careful alot of that fake stuff doesnt stand up to heat (like a locked up car in the sun) and direct sunlight. then it bubbles up, fades or peels and looks crap. can i say crap on this forum??