SAU Community

Drifting

nizmo da gizmo

Hey guys, i want to learn how to drift but i would like some pointers on what is a good car to buy and start off with. I understand that drifting is an expensive sport, but could someone please give me some advice on what i should do to start off? Alot of people are telling me to buy a 180sx , but i would like to hear you'r advice.

Thanks guys :banana:

We've got a drift day at Winton on Sunday if you wanna come along and watch, and talk to the guys who are into it and taking part in it.

For starters any car that's lightish and RWD will do, I'd recommend something cheap like an S13 (silvia) or a KE70 (corolla), which is cheap to mod and easy to fix when you ding up. Biggest mistake most people make is go out and get a pretty car that they're too worried to break/crash/write off... which usually stops em from giving it their all or experimenting with technique. Don't worry about looks etc, weld/lock the diff, get some aftermarket suspension and some cooling mods and get on the track.

I understand that drifting is an expensive sport, but could someone please give me some advice on what i should do to start off?

It doesn't have to be expensive! You can drift anything as long as its set up right. You don't necessarily need big power, a good suspension set up and diff will get you going. Why don't you get an Aussie assembled R31? They're good value, and parts-a-plenty!

just go fast and throw it into the corner and cross your fingers. and also if u see a gutter/ripple strip/dirt turn the steering wheel the other way and hope for the best.

this method works for me.

:/

just go fast and throw it into the corner and cross your fingers. and also if u see a gutter/ripple strip/dirt turn the steering wheel the other way and hope for the best.

this method works for me.

:/

how's that workin out for you?

lol works fine @ winton in the dry and closed private roads. going to give it a shot at Ebisu next month aswell.

wish me luck

no it doesnt work fine for u tets, wats your rear quarter panel lookin like atm? haha

hamish you'd have loved winton today. four KE70's on the track, two of them qualified in top 16. if it wasn't for the takumi tax on em these days they'd almost be fun to have as a bash car.... but with takumi tax, its almost as cheap to just buy an S13.