SAU Community

Water Temp Go Up To 98 When Drive In Heavy Traffic?

Nosure

Hi, I just find out my 34gtr's water temp was up to 95-98 degree? is that normal?? but when i drive on highway there is only 77-80 degree.

thats really a big different between more air flow and less air flow.

I checked my fans its working good.

anyone can point out is this normal??

thanks!!

depends on where you fit the water temp sensor and atmosphere temperature But seems pretty normal to me.

98 degrees seems normal??

How did you test you fan, with mine it spins but i can stop it and even spin it backwards when its up to temp, this means its screwed, could be your problem as well.

Oopps Didn't notice its a GTR 34. if your stock Gauge displaying 98 degrees and on a slow rising mode then might want to check for water leaks or thermo related bits

Oopps Didn't notice its a GTR 34. if your stock Gauge displaying 98 degrees and on a slow rising mode then might want to check for water leaks or thermo related bits

Hi there is no leaking, the highest temp is 98degress, it will go down to 94 and rising up again.

but if the car runing the water temp will go down very quick. about 77-84 degree if drive normally.

i can see the highest water temp on the center screen is show up 98 degree in heavy traffic, but the standard water temp gauge only a little bit more than halfway.

and if the traffic flow is good or on the highway, the temp is about 80 degree, on standard water temp gauge is about halfway.

Edited by Nosure

No expert on R34 GTR's, but any car that registers above half on the stock gauge isnt a good thing?

Maybe your thermostat is stuck slightly closed, so when your in traffic its not quite opening enough for full flow.

Id try that before doing anything too drastic. Flush the system, new thermo, some good coolant..

98 is to hot for just normal driving on a daily basis for any RB. I don't know what hypergear is talking about. Did you try bleeding it to see if there is any air in the system?

Ive never seen above 90degrees, mostly 82.

only time i saw 89-90 was on a 40degree day during summer so i drove with my heater on full blast; took the temp down to 86-87 quite quick although heater + 40degree heat was unbearable lolz.

i agree with everyone, coolant flush for air pockets and new thermostat

the 98 degree only happend once on havey traffic. the car only run 300m in one hour.

in normal drive condition the water temp only about 75-85 degree. even i drive very hard the water temp still not go over 85.

and the fans is also OK. so I guess its normal if the engine is on and stay there for one hour.

the water temp only go high when the car doesn't move for a while.

98deg water temp is ok, it is a little high (check basics) but it wont kill the engine etc

just drive it normally once you are able to and the radiator has some airflow

once you drive it normally with airlfow, the temp should drop pretty reasonably to mid 80s

the ECU has correction based on water temp and will start taking out timing above certain levels

if water temp is near 110deg i would be worried - the stock guage cluster should be near 3/4 at this level

98deg water temp is ok, it is a little high (check basics) but it wont kill the engine etc

just drive it normally once you are able to and the radiator has some airflow

once you drive it normally with airlfow, the temp should drop pretty reasonably to mid 80s

the ECU has correction based on water temp and will start taking out timing above certain levels

if water temp is near 110deg i would be worried - the stock guage cluster should be near 3/4 at this level

thanks mate, so when the water temp up to 110, that mean problem?? or it will break some think?

You can warp the head for one. 98 isn't going to break anything, but it's higher than it should be. Mine gets a bit to hot one hot sunny days with the a/c going after I've been creeping along in traffic for too long. I turn the a/c off when it gets over 100 to let it cool back down. usually around 110-115 your coolant will start to boil.

Your coolant temp is very high for an RB engine, in heavy traffic I rarely go above 90c (13B-REW).

I'd have your lines bled and replaced with new coolant. But as stated in the thread your engine won't get damaged sub 120c, but you shouldn't be around that temperature at all even under extreme engine stress.

get the radiator professionally cleaned and a new top tank. should be 230-300

they take it out, take it apart, clean out all the crap etc. good as new. a new OEM or nismo thermostat is a good idea at the same time. The generic ones are very flimsy in comparision. nissan is ~50$ trade price. 82deg where the nismo is 72deg

Edited by RB_Ryan

You can easily mod the engine fan to pull more air and not have it locked on. They lose some of the silicon oil thats inside the fan hub over time. You can drill holes and refill them. Mine was doing the same thing although i would check the basics first and change the thermostat if it has been a while.