SAU Community

Boosting R33 Gtst Questions

guys im kinda in the same boat atm got a pod, front mount, and 3 inch jasma cat back would be safe to run 10psi wouldnt it???

sorry to jack your thread mate just didnt wanna post new one with this already here.

cheers guys

chubs

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R&R = Rich and Retard (kinda like Paris Hilton but with less skank)

the standard R33 ECU will modify the air:fuel mixture by making it run rich and retard the timing when it senses something outside it's expected parameters.

quick lesson.

air goes in through the air filter, goes past the AFM (air Flow Meter) which sends a message to the ECU saying "Hey bro.. there is 12 air habibs coming your way"

ECU goes "No worries bro.. I'll douse them with 2 bits of fuel and burn the f**kers"

the air (habibs) go through the turbo and get all hot and angry like a bunch of lebs that just did 14 sets of bicep curls in a power cage, then through the intercooler to coll off a little, then in to the motor where they think they are entering a hektik nightclub only to be doused in fuel and burnt and spat out the back of the turbo and out the exhaust.

so..

The AFM (lets say is a Kiwi bouncer.. you know.. tough, but can't really count much) can only measure up to a certain number or air.

when you use a boost controller (lets say a hot chick bro), and you turn it up (reduce the length of her skirt and shrink the top), more air gets forced in to the engine (lots of habibs get calls from their cousins and they call go to this place and try to get in).

The AFM can only count so much and realises that there is too much air going in so sends a message to the ECU saying "Bro.. I only counted 15 habibs but I think that another 10 of their cousins snuck in... I'm not sure hey.. I didn't learn to count that many"

ECU goes "f**k you're a stupid coconut c*nt... now I have to deal with these habibs"

So as the habibs make their way through the turbo and intercooler (no doubt stealing stuff along the way), and in to the motor, the ecu douses them with heaps of fuel and makes all the habibs really wet with fuel.. this means that when they are burnt off, they don't burn well and so come out as darker smoke.

Because of his bad mixture (too many habibs in the one club), the ECU also retards the timing (closes the bar for a while) meaning that everything works really badly... all to protect the motor (hektik club) until the AFM (bouncer) gets his shit together and counts properly.

all this means that your car will jerk as if it's hitting some sort of cut or has a fault..

but it's just your car's way of telling you there are too many habibs.

How do you fix this?

Cheapest = A signal bender of some sort (Apexi SAFC is probably the cheapest)

this is a device which teaches the AFM how to lie to the ECU.

You turn up the boost, and 30 habibs arrive and run through the entry door..

AFM goes to the ECU "Hey bro.. I've just sent through 18 business men hey.."

Ecu goes "thanks mate. I'll give them the fuel needed"

this means that you get a leaner mixture and it all makes more power.

a better choice? after market computer.. there are lots to chose from.. do a search.

the after market computer (replacement for the ECU) is fully programmable and so can adjust timing too.. it can also mean that the coconut at the door doesn't have to lie, but instead, it is send on a few special classes and is taught how to count..

Hope this helps.

so, more habibs is actually desirable?

guys im kinda in the same boat atm got a pod, front mount, and 3 inch jasma cat back would be safe to run 10psi wouldnt it???

sorry to jack your thread mate just didnt wanna post new one with this already here.

cheers guys

chubs

I would say yes it would be safe to run it on 10psi.....depending on what purpose your using the car for....ie daily driving then no problems...

If i were you then i would invest in dump/front pipe and a high flowing cat so that the exhaust gases flows a lot better....and then you can increase the boost to 12psi and not worry about anything....enjoy the more boost

so, more habibs is actually desirable?

If you want to move fast or have more power, I think it's obvious why more habibs would make this happen.

ECU needs to know how many habibs (air) are coming in da club so that it can get the spark plugs (chicks) and fuel (had in the shape of a gun) and then???

CHK CHK BOOM!!!

everyone should be happy now. :)

• 1 year later...

'(had in the shape of a gun)' hahah classic i love this thread.

great storry and explanation GTST dude, we are all a lil less stupid now.... but what is 'boost', only kidding only kidding :)

The ecu doesn't get false readings from the afm. The ecu see's a high value and dumps fuel and reduces timing. With a stock turbo you won't max the AFM

Just FYI