SAU Community

Rb26 Block N Cradle

junga

Hey guys, going through a stressful process of engine rebuild!

I just bought a r33 05U rb26 block and cradle, out of the same car.

only once my rebuilder took a closer look

he said i will need a tunnel bore

Do I need to get it tunnel bored if that cradle came with that block?

Rebuilder says cradle doesnt match so it has to be off a different block

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers

Mike

do what your engine builder tells you would be my advice. if you don't trust him, then don't use him! if you are going to use him, second guessing him all the time is not going to help. if he says it needs a tunnel bore then get it done. :D

do what your engine builder tells you would be my advice. if you don't trust him, then don't use him! if you are going to use him, second guessing him all the time is not going to help. if he says it needs a tunnel bore then get it done. :D

cheers Beer Baron, definately following their advice.

Just wondering, if the block and cradle comes from the same car

Doesnt the cradle n block generally match up? just want to know if others have had the same issue when they rebuilt the engine.

from factory they would be matched up to their respective blocks yes...as in from factory they would be align bored for correct clearances, if they dont match up, more then likely it is from a different block.

from factory they would be matched up to their respective blocks yes...as in from factory they would be align bored for correct clearances, if they dont match up, more then likely it is from a different block.

Ah Cheers Michael,

Is there a chance that they dont align and be from the same car?

Is there a chance that they dont align and be from the same car?

If your engine builder is doing his job properly, he has miked up the main tunnels and found ovality or something out of spec, so correction via honing or boring is needed. Nissan blocks are pretty rigid so it's a little unusual to find one out of spec, but not unheard of.

If your engine builder is doing his job properly, he has miked up the main tunnels and found ovality or something out of spec, so correction via honing or boring is needed. Nissan blocks are pretty rigid so it's a little unusual to find one out of spec, but not unheard of.

Thanks Steve, i thought it was a little unusual

I bought the block n cradle off a SAU member in "perfect" condition

I'll just have to shoot a few questions and see if i can get back a little bit of cash i guess.

Thanks Steve, i thought it was a little unusual

I bought the block n cradle off a SAU member in "perfect" condition

I'll just have to shoot a few questions and see if i can get back a little bit of cash i guess.

Don't assume the worst on the part of the seller. Unless the history of the engine is well documented, it's possibly either an innocent mistake or (more likely) one of those situations in which some distortion has occurred. Very difficult to prove one way or the other.

That said, I have seen a rather worrying trend recently where seller's are separating parts they shouldn't. Block girdles is one example, another is camshaft caps.

Don't assume the worst on the part of the seller. Unless the history of the engine is well documented, it's possibly either an innocent mistake or (more likely) one of those situations in which some distortion has occurred. Very difficult to prove one way or the other.

That said, I have seen a rather worrying trend recently where seller's are separating parts they shouldn't. Block girdles is one example, another is camshaft caps.

yes the girdle should be assembled with the fasteners you are planning to use and big end tunnel measured...accept nothing as a given...doing so may result in a costly mess. Sounds like your builder is up to the task...as he knows what to look for and check to see if the gear is serviceable. Ive heard if engines throwing bearings and guys spending top $$ to get a rebuild only for the engine to spin one again on the same journal because the builder was too stupid to check why the original engine failed and rectify the cause.

Edited by DiRTgarage

mate a tunnel bore is cheap just went threw the same prosses as you got a block and the cradle was 100% out of the engine because we disasembled it our selfs, my builder said it was slightly out and didnt wanna take the chance of building it then 1000k's it spins a bearing, so get it done mate dont go chasing money $$$$ if your chasing money you shouldnt be building a rb26 up it will send you broke.

its quite common for them to be out especially if it has got hot, spu a bearing etc... on ALL our large builds we tunnel bore regardless as it allows for finer control of tolerances. Your lucky its not an SR :) about 50/50 need tunnel boring whether you like it or not.

Edited by URAS

its quite common for them to be out especially if it has got hot, spu a bearing etc... on ALL our large builds we tunnel bore regardless as it allows for finer control of tolerances. Your lucky its not an SR :) about 50/50 need tunnel boring whether you like it or not.

Cool bananas! i was quoted 500 for a tunnel bore, is that about right?

Thanks for the advise guys! Tunnel Bore for peace of mind =)