SAU Community

Prepping For 1st R32 Gts-t Outing

Hi guys,

after having read through a several threads I wanted to ask a couple of things about putting my recently acquired R32 GTS_T on the track at Oran Park before it closes:

The car is stock except for bigger turbo with MRT boost controller (comes on strong a about 5k rpm) and exhaust:

-should i overfill the engine oil by 1 litre as some of the GTR guys are doing?

-is redline 10w40 ok or too thin for the track (dont have oil temp gauge or cooler..)?

-will fresh standard brake fluid be ok for 3 or 4 timed supersprint laps at Oran Park south for a heavy road car (just swapped master cylinders but wasnt thinking of replacing with higher grade fluid at the time..)

-ive got a few 15" R tyres left over, are there any 15" rims that would fit at all?

I've never had a turbo car with old road tyres and no suspension work on the track ever so dont know what to expect, particularly when it comes on boost out of corners, and the HICAS;-)- any tricks other than initially winding the boost down that you can recommend?

Thanks guys,

Martin

Edited by 116gtv

Hi mate, assuming the motor is healthy and has a safe tune there is nothing to worry about.

don't let it get too hot (you said only 4-5 laps so that will be fine)

redline 10w40 is fine

yes absolutely use the best brake fluid you can. motul rbf600 is the good stuff, about $30 a bottle from bike shops, its the best $30 you will ever spend on your car.

we have hired Oran Park on 4 october, you should come along then :laugh:

what turbo are you running? is it tuned for it?

You will probably find you will run out of brakes...at Oran Park thats not a good thing so best to get some decent stuff, its not expensive, also what pads do you have?

As for overfilling, maybe some of the guys who compete with r32s can help

Cheers

Andrew

Edit : Damn Dunc beat me...he knows more than I do so take his advice

hmm, you've got me worried now.. i;ve got no idea whats on it. some sort of roller bearing garret.. its got an MRT boost controller box in the glove box.. runs on 5 PSi and once switched on, i can dial up to about 14 psi...

you reckon i should get it dynoed, if so whereabouts (i'm in randwick but dont mind going across town..)

how many litres of brake fluid should i get for the inital flush?

whats on oct4?

thnx for replying so fast!

Id chuck it on the dyno to make sure its safe,

SAU track day on Oct 4th

spot on....what he said!

and you should come to the motorkhana on 29/8 as well, its a good way to get used to how the car handles at greater than roundabout speeds

you should buy 2x 500ml bottle to bleed the brakes. you shouldn;'t need that much but you never want to run out half way thru the job ;(

Me either,

But if you are prepared to drive, UNIgroup is suppose to be good, I had my last tune done at Hills Motorsports, theres also Unique Autosports, Hitman, JEM, CRD

yeah Id certainly reccomend unigroup!!

they looked after my r33 for 3 years which made 254rwkw and did a few supersprints in.

my advice for your first outing, is to keep it on low boost.

a couple reasons - it'll be safer on the motor! (but best still to do what andrew and dunc said by getting it on a dyno to see if she's all good!) and you'll be able to handle the car a bit better first of all. i.e. if you get on the gas early on high boost, might bring the rear end around on you for some oversteer, keep it a lower level first, get a feel for the car and the track!

when you taking it to OP GP?

Im racing there this sunday.

what brakes and suspension do you have too?

for brake pads, check out the business trader section - GSLRallysport for QFM A1RM pads

I used them in the skyline and now use them in the mx5 - love them, great price and Greg is easy to deal with :thumbsup:

cheers,

Chris!

looks like some of the post have gone during downtime.. (was dynoed at 163 rwks)

can i just check about first things first for the track please:

1. brake fluid/pads - already mentioned-thanks

2. wheel alignment - can i pls get a recommendation, leaving hicas enabled at this point in time

3. suspension (standard right now) where to start pls- swaybars? do front & rear braces make a noticeable difference?

here's what i found:

Caster: +7

Camber: -1 deg

Toe: 0

Rear

Camber: -0.5deg

Toe: 2mm in each side

cheers,

Martin

Edited by 116gtv

Id start with sway bars for the suspesion, best bang for buck out there, then have a look at either sydneykids Group buy whiteline / Bilstein suspension kit, he also does the sway bars to btw, or have a look at the jap brand coil-over kits

For the alignment go see Gary (sydneykid - i think the company is called sydney superior suspensions??) or Heasmanns steering

yeah sway bars 100% !!!!!

for stock settings, thats not too bad of an alignment!

caster up front is good.

I used to run -4 degrees in my r33 - the mazda runs around -3 camber up front

get some adjustable sway bars :) whiteline is good bang for buck