SAU Community

R32 Gtr Spring Rates - Front To Rear Balance

well, further developments have occured....which I will post on a bit later, but for now, I have one question that despite searching forums and manuals I cannot find the answer: What is the standard/stock/factory ride height (centre of wheel to guard) on the R32 gtr?

Thanks,

Fraser.

Edited by Phrase

well, further developments have occured....which I will post on a bit later, but for now, I have one question that despite searching forums and manuals I cannot find the answer: What is the standard/stock/factory ride height (centre of wheel to guard) on the R32 gtr?

Thanks,

Fraser.

395 mm front and 390 mm rear, brand new. They settle around 5 mm until 60,000 k's then the front standard shocks are stuffed and the front springs wear out real fast. It's not unusual to see them with standard springs at 370/360 mm.

V Spec & N1 is 10 mm lower, ie 385/380 mm, new.

Cheers

Gary

Gary, thank you so much. That puts a whole new context to things. My car is 75mm lower at the front than stock and 55mm lower at the rear.... no wonder I can't get enough castor on the front left to stop it pulling to the left.....no wonder the ride is tiring...etc....

based on this wonderful bit of news, i might be able to get the results i'm after without having to get custom made springs..... back to the calculator....

Thanks,

Fraser.

• 2 weeks later...

well, after doing some more sums, I believe I can get close to the ride height I want by using Kings Low springs or Tein STech Springs.

So, over the weekend I have put the car up on stands and taken out the springs/shocks.

Tomorrow they are going to Fulcrum so they can:

- remove the springs from the shocks,

- dyno the shocks to make sure they are ok(hope so), if not i will have them valved for the new springs..

- then fit new springs to the shocks for me.

Which I will then refit to the car then get a 4 wheel alignment.

So what springs I hear you ask? Well, Tein Stech in the front at 3.7kg/mm and King Springs Low at the rear (2.7kg/mm). (57.8/0.422)

I know the STechs only come in sets of four, but I could install in the rear if I want to play with the handling, or i can sell the rears...

hopefully there are no problems reinstalling and the money I saved removing the struts covers the cost of the extra pair of springs.

Will report on progress.....

Fraser.

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: this is not meant to be a bashing post.

ok, update: saturday 3 weeks ago i purchased some car stands (repco $30 a pair) and within 2 hours had the shocks and spring out of the car.

The following tuesday I delivered them to fulcrum.

They removed the springs then dyno tested the shocks.

On thursday I rang to find out progress. The shocks tested up well. (woohoo $150 a corner saved), they had ordered the Kings for the rear but were having trouble finding a set of teins for the front.....but they could get some in from Japan....

First Mistake: I assumed that Fulcrum (the Aussie Tein R&D partner) would have stock....

So frustratedly(and smart-arsedly), I suggested an ebay auction that Fulcrum could purchase the springs from, they informed me that they couldnt, but that I was welcome to purchase and have Fulcrum fit to the shocks for me.

So I purchased from Access Autoworks. They were good. Paypal was not. No matter what I tried, the only way I couldve had the springs shipped direct to Fulcrum would have been to change my primary home address to Fulcrums!

So with a couple of attempts, I finally got the Teins shipped....to my home address.....which meant they would end up at the post office for collection.

Last Saturday I walked(remember car is still up on stands) to the Post office and picked up the springs, took them out of the box to put them in my backpack to bring them home.

Second Mistake: Dont use paypal if you want to ship to a third party

There was also a japanese instruction sheet in the box which I did not read until I got home.

I got home and read it. It said: Front 3.7kg/mm check, Rear: 2.0 - 4.0kg/mm ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

ALL the data I had looked at said Rear:4.0kg/mm ... which is why I bought a set of Kings for the rear!

Not even Fulcrum when I said 'I just cannot believe that the rears would be stiffer than the fronts' had nothing.

Third Mistake: dont trust the manufacturers or distrubitors websites......

So, I am continuing with the Kings in the rear as they are already fitting to the shocks. On Thursday, I will deliver the front springs to Fulcrum.

I did want to share the rant, thanks for reading but I mostly wanted to share:

Tein S-Tech Springs SKN14-S1B00 for BNR32 Spring Rates: Front: 3.7kg/mm, Rear: 2 - 4kg/mm. Which gives 65/35 ratio using 2kg/mm at the rear which is what I was trying to achieve from the outset!!!!!

perhaps I will swap the kings rears for the tein rears.....anyone want to buy a set on kings rear springs? never used!

Thanks for reading, hopefully will refit everything this week.......

Fraser.

• 3 months later...

OK Gary "SK"

With your spec. Bilsteins,

For Street, Kings low vs Tein S-tech vs Eibach Adj.

What would be your choice?

Is there a difference between hot vs cold wound coils?

Edited by rapidroy