SAU Community

Need Help On Repairing Nismo Lmgt4 Rim.

Hi fellas,

I am posting this thread and seek of your urgent help. I have a set of Volks Nismo 18" LMGT4's - one of which is quite badly damaged from collision with a gutter.

As you can see, a part of the outer lip is pushed back inversely and in the process has a very small tear from the bend. The wheel otherwise is in perfect nick. Yet, I have brought it to Advanced Alloys, Ajax Wheels and even Wheel Solutions and all said they prefer not to fix it as they think it's good as gone. However, I have asked a lot of mechanics and friends and everyone feels that it's just a matter of bending/machining/bashing the lip back into place, and then welding the small tear enough so that it holds air and then simply machining it back and then painting it to match.

I have nearly given up hope. I have one last place to try, that's Steve's Tyre and Wheels in Sunshine. I seems like a top bloke and is willing it give it a shot - he has not seen it but I will visit him tomorrow morning. I got both my hands and feet crossed let alone my fingers, so let's just hope he can fix it - or should I say; want to fix it. However, in the mean time, can someone please please recommend a place that can and would fix my wheel.

I really love these rims and this is the only one that's buggered. I am thought about just buying a replacement one. I would prefer to get it fixed - so please help. However, if it is not fixable - does anyone know of a place I can get an original replacement that is exactly the same for a descent price? Preferably in Australia as I have had it with all the waiting.

Thanks fellas....

Kevin

post-38197-1248697944_thumb.jpg

post-38197-1248697986_thumb.jpg

It can be repaired but the wheel wont ever be as good.

Ive smashed a wheel worse then this and had it quoted to be repaired.. Repair damage and respray all 4 rims for 600 but didnt bother due to the wheel being weaker/ more prone to damage (just wat i think not sure if its 100% true) and ill never have faith in that wheel ever again.

I can try and find out the name of the place if ur interested. Its in the Fairfeild area just north of Lansvale.

Edit: just saw u are from melbourne, probably a major pain in the ass, there is always someone that will do it just might not be the best job or it wont stay that way.

Yeah thats a fair hit, did you do that or did you buy them bent? Just because there was a black set for sale in vic on firesport.com a while back that had one bent wheel.

Either way they're pricy wheels should you need to replace it. I managed to find a used set locally but prior to that was looking at buying new & best i could find was $900 a wheel from japan through j imports (when dollar was good, more now). Where also available through nissan dealerships at a touch over $1300 each.

Otherwise look to import one used from japan, probably wont find a black one but if you got another colour you could just get it powdercoated to match. for example heres a single bronze one, wheels currently $550 but shipping, etc will be another $300-$400. Any import agent could bring it in for you.

cheers, Tim

• 3 months later...
Hey, sorry to dig up and old thread. But I'm in a similiar situation. Have four awesome rims that need similiar repairs to yours. Just wondering if you ever had any luck fixing them?

Hey mate, yes, managed to fix it...they looked like new...awesome as! However, wasn't cheap and I ended up selling these rims to a R34 GTR owner as he wanted the Z-tune look.

Give Igore a call - say Kevin with the black R33 Skyline referred you. I went everywhere...he was the only person that could fix it...

<h2 class="nameDetails ">Steve's Wheels & Tyres Pty Ltd</h2> (03) 9311 6204Send this listing to your mobileSunshine North

48 Berkshire Rd

Sunshine North VIC 3020

Haha i think some one with an R34 GTR is going to be hunting kevin down after reading this :)

Ha HA hal.....very funny!

Of course I told him about the damage...but honestly, the guys at Steve's Wheels did an absolute marvelous job...it's structural very well repaired and looks like new!

The guy with the R34 GTR actually bought my rims off Steve's Wheels. Honestly, if I had the cash, I would have kept them...just stretched my budget heaps after the repairs...

In regard to pricing...here's what had to be done in a snapshot...after reading this, you'll understand why I had to let them go...

Ok, so I bought them off a previous owner for $900. Thought it was a bargain...and they were GTR-spec rims from Ray's with genuine sticker and box etc....spent two days off work driving all around Melbourne - and yes fellas, for the love of my Skyline, I drive to every wheel repairer place that Google and Whitepages had listed...spent like 4 hours a day just driving around...no f**ka would touch it.

In the end, I was told by a friend that Steve's Wheels in Sunshine would possibly consider taking this in...so I rocked up and spoke to Igore...he was like "Dude, I cannot promise you anything...damage is pretty bad..." so anyway, I gave him the rim and just prayed for a few days...I finally got the call, was told that the rim was fixed...I quickly drove up during my lunch break and was nearly in tears as the rim was totally fixed...looks absolutely marvelous...apparently he has a contact somewhere interstate that does it and would not give out details...he charged me $550 ($400 to fix damage and $150 to paint) which I thought was a bargain consider a new set of LMGT4's in GTR-spec from Japan would cost around $5,000 plus shipping and the wait time, I was told, would be around 2-4 months as these will have to be made to order from Ray's Engineering Japan. So I paid him the $550 and said that I'd come back with my Skyline and the other 3 rims the following weekend to get them fitted...

I arrived nice and early, proudly rolled out my 4 rims and was totally heart-broken when Igore pointed out that another 2 rims had severe inner rim bents...he put the rims onto his wheel balancing/testing machine and sure enough they where 'clunky' and would be very unsafe to drive around on...he rang his contact and was advised that to fix the inner rim of those 2 wheels alone it would cost $400 each then there's paint which would be $150.

Now let's do the maths, so I paid $900...then paid $550 = $1,450...now i I were to proceed with the fixing and repainting of the other two rims...it would then cost me an additional $1,100. So all in all, the rims would have cost me $2,550. Yes, still an absolute bargain, but I just couldn't afford the cash.

So we I negotiated with Igore was that I would sell my rims to him $1,500 and he would bear all repair costs. So all in all, I basically got my cash back and made a small profit of $600. It was indeed a bargain for him, as it would have cost him $3,150...but I just couldn't afford the repair costs and knew that I wouldn't be able to afford this cost any time soon so I made the decision to sell them off...then a R34 GTR owner came along a few weeks after that and bought them off Steve's Wheels for an undisclosed amount...I've been told it's around the $4,000 mark. Seen it on his cars a few days ago...looked absolutely sexy...no rim looks better on a R34 GTR than the LMGT4's period.

Don't know if I buggered up some figures above...but that's basically what happened. So what did I do with my small refund of $1,500? I splashed them on some nice 18 inch deep dish Zumbo rims and called it a day...so I'm ok with what happened to some degree. But let me tell you...when those 4 LMGT4's rims were in my garage...I used to walk out and just stand there looking at them for a few minutes a day...absolutely one of the best looking rims to ever grace a Nis-san Skyline...

The end. :)

Edited by Spunky Munky

Thats great. Would be interesting to know how much it set you back to fix?

Will look around WA for a bit and see if someone will also do them here. Thanks :)

Yeah good luck mate...I know that a lot of interstate people send their rims to Igore at Steve's Wheels to get fixed...it would cost you around $60 to get the rim down and back but well worth it consider the super pro job that these guys do...honestly, I kid you not, those rims look better than new and they managed to keep the Nismo sticker intact too after repainting.

Give him a call and mention you know about what happened to me and he'll help you out and give you tips too!

Details regarding pricing are mentioned in my earlier post.

Kevin

Ha HA hal.....very funny!

Of course I told him about the damage...but honestly, the guys at Steve's Wheels did an absolute marvelous job...it's structural very well repaired and looks like new!

The guy with the R34 GTR actually bought my rims off Steve's Wheels. Honestly, if I had the cash, I would have kept them...just stretched my budget heaps after the repairs...

In regard to pricing...here's what had to be done in a snapshot...after reading this, you'll understand why I had to let them go...

Ok, so I bought them off a previous owner for $900. Thought it was a bargain...and they were GTR-spec rims from Ray's with genuine sticker and box etc....spent two days off work driving all around Melbourne - and yes fellas, for the love of my Skyline, I drive to every wheel repairer place that Google and Whitepages had listed...spent like 4 hours a day just driving around...no f**ka would touch it.

In the end, I was told by a friend that Steve's Wheels in Sunshine would possibly consider taking this in...so I rocked up and spoke to Igore...he was like "Dude, I cannot promise you anything...damage is pretty bad..." so anyway, I gave him the rim and just prayed for a few days...I finally got the call, was told that the rim was fixed...I quickly drove up during my lunch break and was nearly in tears as the rim was totally fixed...looks absolutely marvelous...apparently he has a contact somewhere interstate that does it and would not give out details...he charged me $550 ($400 to fix damage and $150 to paint) which I thought was a bargain consider a new set of LMGT4's in GTR-spec from Japan would cost around $5,000 plus shipping and the wait time, I was told, would be around 2-4 months as these will have to be made to order from Ray's Engineering Japan. So I paid him the $550 and said that I'd come back with my Skyline and the other 3 rims the following weekend to get them fitted...

I arrived nice and early, proudly rolled out my 4 rims and was totally heart-broken when Igore pointed out that another 2 rims had severe inner rim bents...he put the rims onto his wheel balancing/testing machine and sure enough they where 'clunky' and would be very unsafe to drive around on...he rang his contact and was advised that to fix the inner rim of those 2 wheels alone it would cost $400 each then there's paint which would be $150.

Now let's do the maths, so I paid $900...then paid $550 = $1,450...now i I were to proceed with the fixing and repainting of the other two rims...it would then cost me an additional $1,100. So all in all, the rims would have cost me $2,550. Yes, still an absolute bargain, but I just couldn't afford the cash.

So we I negotiated with Igore was that I would sell my rims to him $1,500 and he would bear all repair costs. So all in all, I basically got my cash back and made a small profit of $600. It was indeed a bargain for him, as it would have cost him $3,150...but I just couldn't afford the repair costs and knew that I wouldn't be able to afford this cost any time soon so I made the decision to sell them off...then a R34 GTR owner came along a few weeks after that and bought them off Steve's Wheels for an undisclosed amount...I've been told it's around the $4,000 mark. Seen it on his cars a few days ago...looked absolutely sexy...no rim looks better on a R34 GTR than the LMGT4's period.

Don't know if I buggered up some figures above...but that's basically what happened. So what did I do with my small refund of $1,500? I splashed them on some nice 18 inch deep dish Zumbo rims and called it a day...so I'm ok with what happened to some degree. But let me tell you...when those 4 LMGT4's rims were in my garage...I used to walk out and just stand there looking at them for a few minutes a day...absolutely one of the best looking rims to ever grace a Nis-san Skyline...

The end. :blink:

ouch!

so where were the rims from? sounds like that car had an interesting ending

Thanks mate. :D They are indeed the sexiest rims I have ever seen. One day you will buy a new pair I bet :D Cheers again for the info.

Hey mate....thanks...

I'm 28 now...getting a bit old...so I might just buy a R34 GTR next and call it a day...but the LMGT4's are indeed the nicest rims ever to grace a GTR.