SAU Community

i always see topics poping up weather panel or pod filter,

but i havent seen anyone talking about having both? can it be done? anyone done it before.

I know its not "legal' but im talking performace wise, not legality.

cheers

why would you have both?? If you're talking about a pod filter followed by a panel boxed filter.. then there's no point except for induction sound. Having both would just add restriction to your airflow and make performance worse. Unless you're driving through a dust storm every day of the week I fail to see any benefit or reason. It's either one or the other mate.

No reason for that at all Unless u want 2 restrict your motor, If your worried about it being legal you can run a pod filter and fabricate a encloser-More air flow, better sounding spool-up and it aint a defect,

this is my setup on my 34

OK, I see a heat shielded pod. Where's the panel filter in that pic?

but i havent seen anyone talking about having both? can it be done?

I know its not "legal' but im talking performace wise, not legality.

It can be done, but from a performance perspective its pointless. You're just adding needless complexity and you won't see any more airflow.

If you run the pod and panel in series, it just adds an intake restriction because the engine has to suck air through 2 filters. A single filter will provide enough filtration so the resistance decreases performance but doesn't add any safety.

If you run them in parallel (so you use a Y pipe to join the 2 together) then your total airflow is still restricted by the size of the intake pipe downwind of the Y pipe. You could just have 1 pipe of that diameter and see the same cross sectional flow. At the same time, 2 different airstreams merging creates turbulence, which is also bad for airflow.

OK, I see a heat shielded pod. Where's the panel filter in that pic?

panel filter? as in what was there when i got her stock as rock? there is no need for that if you have a pod.........

Ah the good 'ole panel vs pod with a twist.

Basically in all the tests that have been done by various car magazines (both online and paper) the consensus is to get a high flowing non-oiled panel filter. Plus thats my opinion too. Feel free to flame away - honestly I don't care if you have a pod but for the love of god it better be shielded.

Autospeed has some nice articles about induction here:

Part 1: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1361/article.html

Part 2: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1370/article.html

Part 3: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1379/article.html

Part 4: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1829/article.html

Good stuff in there.

As to why not pod and panel? The question is why would you? More restrictive. No gains. More convoluted piping. Probably not that much noise (if your into that kind of thing). Costly (relatively).

Essentially a lot of work for no real gain. The question is why would you?

Edit: added article

Edited by R33_Dude

my car has a panel filter and a pod filter set up, but there is pannel filter mouth and the pod aswell which doesnt go through the filter lol i didnt do this it was like that when i got it, pretty weird, the pod sits down in the front bar and piping joins up behind the panel filter, which has a mouth sitting behind the headlight.

I am getting rid of the filter soon and having the pod sitting by itself down within the front bar tho,

Edited by r32na

do u mean something like this?

this is my setup on my 34

25072009415-1.jpg

That a Good Set-Up Aswell, This Is What Iv Fitted To My 33Gtr-Heaps Better Then A Panel Filter!

post-64108-1248924337_thumb.jpg

i would like to cover my pod up just for a more tidy look