SAU Community

Need A Gps!

Zaver

Hey, i was just in the market for a gps and i was looking at several different ones and since there are so many out there could someone tell me which is a good gps i should be looking at... And if anyone knows anyone whoz selling a GPS.. I really get confused with the roads in melbourne..

Sometimes i wonder how ppl know the entire city without a map...

Please let me know of any good gps which is not very expensive...

Thanks......

I have a Mio C520. It's not the best GPS in the World but it does the job. Sometimes the routes it recommends aren't the greatest as it doesn't take traffic conditions into account however you can subscribe to the traffic condtions report option for a fee and the GPS will make the appropriate calculations. The maps however are spot on and never had a problem with them like asking me to turn the wrong way down a one way street etc. The actual GPS location on the map is also excellent however it usually takes a little over a minute for the GPS to lock onto enough satellites to be accurate.

I've also found the battery life on the GPS is crap. Even after only owning it for about a year, the battery life was less than 1 hour so now I plug it into the cigarette lighter all the time.

It does have some pretty cool functions though such as one touch "home" and "work" options which will automatically point you in the right direction to get to either of those places from wherever you are. Also, the handsfree bluetooth speaker is great with the phone. It also has it's own phone book so as long as your phone is paired, you can just touch someone's name and it'll start dialing for you.

Having said all this though, I did get my GPS about 2 years ago so I assume technology has made them better.

I use a trakmate tm350h which I find has several advantages:

1. Cheap, I got mine for $150 new, from a store, not ebay

2. Trakmate is an Australian based company. My previous GPS was an ebay special, and warranty service after sale was non-existent. My trakmate had a faulty speaker after 8 months, sent it to sydney on a tuesday, had it fixed and returned by thursday.

3. All the software is on the SD card, so you can easily run any software you like. I'm running IGo 8, have previous used tom tom and igo 7 on it as well

Personally I love TomTom however i've moved from TomTom to Sygic to Garmin in my opinion TomTom is the best, Sygic has shitty route calculating algorithms, and Garmin is crap interface, OK algorithms but have the most up-to-date maps (Unless you use TomTom 7) but they havent released that for Symbian...bastards

Personally my GPS is on my phone if your tech savvy it's cheap if your not....not so much by far I recomend TomTom but if your a cheap bastard like me somtimes you have to face the alternatives

I use tom tom on my n95 + melways, the tom tom is good on long trips so you dont have to keep checking the melways.

If you have a nokia with a built in gps pm me.

• 2 weeks later...
are there any gps programs for the E63????

Does it have built in gps, if so then tomtom navigator should work on it, i will see if i can find my errrrrr "trial" version, pm me your email.