SAU Community

Hey guys my mate asked me if i want to take my car to his mates chip control shop, and that he will do this to my car http://www.chipcontrol.com.au/aboutus.html...but im not sure if its really worth it because my car is a non turbo R33 GTS, and my other friend said not to do it because it will wreck my engine life and that it would only be worth doing if it was turbo. what do you guys think ?

I very much doubt they could remap an R33 ecu. Retuning your ecu will not effect your engine life, its how you drive that will effect engine life. While gains might not be as high as with a modded turbo motor, there will still be gains, bit more power through the rev range, and more economical is a possibilty. You would need aftermarket management or a piggy back ECU to tune though. Somthing like an SAFC might net you a tiny amount more power, and some better fuel economy, but you would need somthing like an Emanage Ultimate (in tems of piggy back) or a Power FC (for full management) to get the full benefit from tuning your engine, by altering ignition timing, etc. Once you start getting into ignition tuning, including the unit and dyno time, its going to end up costing a fair bit of money, for not too much gain.

as said above ^. unless your R33 ECU is chipped you cant modify fuel maps etc. on a non-turbo, not really worth it (unless youv done some serious work, ie cams, internals, stroked etc)

well considering they do tunes for the LS1 and LS2, their tuning capabilities on your skyline will be pretty much zero. that isn't saying they are bad at what they do, just that they probably won't have the facility to alter your ecu (as it needs to be chipped first). the new commodores and falcons can have the factory ecu tuned much more easily than skylines