SAU Community

Yeah i feel ya pain guys,i attempted this job myself r33 gtst box and saved a bit of coin for a( start )to get as far as i did but like the others quoted you need a swear jar and patients of a saint when taking this on for a first time with minimal guide/manual.

I got as far as removing 5th drive gear and the other bearing and gears off the lay shaft i used a standard 3 legged puller and got some flat bar to extend the arms on the puller not the best but worked (chipped the 5th drive gear )then i got to the point where you need the press to push out the main bearing/shaft from the carrier plate theres a massive cir clip holding it you can't get to thats when i said f$@###% it i'm dropping it off to the box shop.

I rang first n asked how much an hour they charged it was about $100.

When i dropped it off he said thats how far they all get i didn't feel so bad then all up was 300 labour and about 220 odd for 2nd n 3rd gear syncs to be changed and another 5th drive gear out of a gtr bought a smashed box for 100 and dropped that off and they took 5th from it.

Genuine parts want $550 for one 5th gear cog if you want a complete gear/bearing set is about 2200 new complete box is 3200.

My advice some times it's cheaper n time saving ,much less frustrating to pay some one else to do what they do best still hate parting with cash but it's gotta be done to get the project going depending on damage. Maybe worth while to just get another good nick box.

Hope this helps some one attempting this job on what is involved ,special tools.

Did they replace all bearings and seals too or just the synchros?

You're right in what you say. What people in this situation need to do is work out the benefit of learning how to do it yourself, i.e. will it serve you a useful purpose in the future knowing how to rebuild a gearbox that you'll probably do only once in the time that you own the car. Then you need to work out whether you can spend less hours working your day job and paying someone else to do it than fixing the gearbox yourself.

P.S. avoid second handies unless you're a man who likes roulette or you need them for spare parts. There's a reason they're up for sale and the ones with a genuine reason are still a lucky dip at the best of times. They can last you 1,000km; they can last you 100,000km.

• 13 years later...

Bumping this old thread rather than creating a new one. Not sure if it was in here or somewhere else but there used to be a useful thread with some photos of the gearbox internals that I can't find anymore (I see this has some photos that arent hosted anymore so are not found) 

Does anyone have some decent photos of the internals of an R33 gearbox? I have mine apart at the moment and just want to confirm the orientation of 5th gear synchro as they have a little tab of metal one way and not sure if this acts on something or is just their for strength etc.

Thanks

20 hours ago, 89CAL said:

Bumping this old thread rather than creating a new one. Not sure if it was in here or somewhere else but there used to be a useful thread with some photos of the gearbox internals that I can't find anymore (I see this has some photos that arent hosted anymore so are not found) 

Does anyone have some decent photos of the internals of an R33 gearbox? I have mine apart at the moment and just want to confirm the orientation of 5th gear synchro as they have a little tab of metal one way and not sure if this acts on something or is just their for strength etc.

Thanks

Try my build blog where I ripped mine apart, there might be a picture that shows what you're looking for??  Start at around page 22.  The trans build will be over a few pages from memory.  Good luck!