SAU Community

Thinking Of Buying A Skyline

Hey guys,

just signed up and was hoping someone could help me.

At the moment i have a 5 speed series 2 vs commodore, putting out around 165fwkw and maybe 120ish rwkw

i am thinking of selling it and going for an N/A r33 skyline. I was hoping someone could tell me about the

suspension setups, diff, gearbox clutch, engine, fuel efficiency and just anything about them, how they respond to different modifications

how people like them

and if anyone has gone from a commodore to a skyline, has any opinions or anything

Any help would be great,

Thanks,

Anthony.

Meh, at the end of they day they're both slow cars. However the Commodore is a heavy sedan designed to haul heavy loads. It's not a race car. Neither is an NA Skyline, but at least it has the potential to handle like one.

Just think what you want the car for.

Looks, to show off? Skyline (well, purely opinion, but Commodores are EVERYWHERE, and they don't impress the ignorant).

Practicality? Commodore.

Track work? Skyline.

Straight line speed? Supra :) . Kidding. Although they are quick for an NA!

Meh, at the end of they day they're both slow cars. However the Commodore is a heavy sedan designed to haul heavy loads. It's not a race car. Neither is an NA Skyline, but at least it has the potential to handle like one.

Just think what you want the car for.

Looks, to show off? Skyline (well, purely opinion, but Commodores are EVERYWHERE, and they don't impress the ignorant).

Practicality? Commodore.

Track work? Skyline.

Straight line speed? Supra :) . Kidding. Although they are quick for an NA!

Thanks for the advice mate, and taking the time to reply.

My commodore only weighs 1300kg ;) . not too bad really, i've put alot (probably too much) money into making it handle well and it does compared to a stock commodore, but prob still handles as well as a stock r33.

i want it to perform and be decent on petrol if i can. dont give a crap what it looks like haha.

Cheers again champ.

i dunno if an NA skyline will really be a HUGE step ahead of the commodore as an overall package.

a GTS-t would be a much better option i think.

are you on Ps? if so, i would wait until you get your full licence, then get into a nice clean GTS-t :angry:

although i have not driven an NA skyline, i did own a VP commodore, slammed, rims, with big audio etc. very happy with my upgrade :(

good luck

I used to have a VX commodore S pack. dropped on VY SS rims, looked tops but handled like a boat.

Coming to a skyline, its not fair to compare.

Get one - it will speak for itself.

Course it's unfair! You did go from a Commodore to a GTR! :angry:

Haha - yeah good point! :angry:

My girlfriend had a 25t which had the turbo removed for a few years, it still went alright - better than my commonwhore did!

Alot more responsive and the whole thing feels alot lighter.

Great cars to drive :(

Edited by KR4-GTR

They are both N/A POS's... Realistically i wouldn't be overtly surprised if the commodore was much slower, overall IMO they should be basically the same in terms of performance.

One does not really handle that much better than the other to add to the fact.

IMO if you have already dumped some cash into your VS, just keep it.

A N/A RB25 is a lazy piece of shit with nothing down low, you will really miss that going from a 3.8ltr that is geared to haul weight and low RPM vs a motor that really does not like added weight (put 3 people in the car and you'll see what i mean), and it wont go anywhere unless you wring it's neck.

Ye im a hater i guess, i just dont see it as an upgrade at all over what you have. N/A performance is dead money.

Any mod you do cost vs gain is bugger all. Save and wait for a turbo model

ive driven heaps of commodores.

and ive got my NA

performance.. there is a difference in favour of my skyline, not much tho

when it comes to bends tho, theres no competition

the skyline handles very very well, and also it alot more fun to drive

friends who own the commodores i have driven that have driven my car say the same thing.

Yeah bearing in mind you have already spent a pack on the Commodore I would also say keep the Commodore. But do a really good value mod that I always did. Drop your Diff ratio to 3.7 or 3.45 at the least. This will really make the car pull SO much harder at all speeds. Bore a large hole through the floor of the airbox and run a ram cold air intake from the front as well..... Both of these mods should make you enjoy the machine a bit more

Hey mate, i did have an NA r33 as my first car and its true, they are terrible for power; not that power is everything but they are heavy and dont put down enough torque at low rpm so you need to drive everywhere with your cannon blazing.

as the go with NA mods, i did the breathing mods and a dyno/chip tune to grab 78awkw - a 2kw gain n bout 10kw in the low to mid range.

Handling you will love though, they are great with a basic shock/spring/swaw/strut upgrade.

First car I had was a N/A R33 on my L's.

Piece of crap. Slow as hell and doesn't handle that great, i'd get depressed everytime I heard a GTS-T spooling.

If you want a Skyline, go a turbo model, don't bother with a N/A.

Thanks for the help here guys. Seems i might stay with the VS for a bit longer. I am on my p's but i'm in canberra so i can drive whatever i like, if i wanted a turbo i could afford buying it, but i couldnt afford the petrol haha.

I've done a CAI and exhaust on my vs, as well as kyb/pedders suspension with whiteline polyurethane bushes throughout, its only on 175000k's so i guess i'll keep her the bit longer. Oh, its got a 3.45 open centre diff. in it at the moment.

Thanks again.