SAU Community

2003 V35 Sedan Gt-8 Trans Issues

Hi, has anyone had any experience with errors with the GT-8 trans?

The story goes like this:

- car drove fine and error free in Japan

- car arrived here in Aus and was driven a small amount to be complied - error free.

- car was driven to a crash shop to get some paint chips touched up - error free.

- car picked up from crash shop and on starting sticks in first gear (whether in full auto or paddle-shift) for approx 4km travel, after which time the trans works 100%.

- ODBII scantool fitted and says 'vehicle speed sensor' error.

- 2 new speed sensors ordered from Japan

- speed sensors fitted, car still emits same problem.

- ODBII connected again and error codes cleared - car seems to now be fine (mind you it was warmed up, and the problem seems to appear when the car/trans is cold).

- started car this morning and problem reappears. Have not had the OBDII on it yet - that happens again Monday.

Has anyone seen this kind of problem/behaviour before?

Hi mate, I don't think it's a problem with your trans. Everytime I first start up and drive when the engine is cold, the car will keep revving (ie. it doesn't switch to the second lobe - where the revs drop and rises again) upon acceleration. When the car's warmed up (temperature reaches halfway), the revs will then drop and it'll be normal - where if you are at a standstill and accelerate, the revs will rise then drop as it switches to the second lobe (my theory anyways). I think it's a precautionary measure to protect the trans. Mind you I never take the car over 2000 rpm until the engine is up to temp, and it might totally be unrelated since you mention it's fine after a certain distance (4km)..

Hey, sorry to hear that, must be frustrating.

I'll try and give you whatever info I can.

There were 2 different CVT's made. I don't have my tools on this PC, but can both of you tell me what build date your car has?

Mine is a mid 2003 one and has the later CVT, which doesn't have the problem you described 350GT of not being able to change gears, i.e. I can gun it hard from cold with no worries. But it definitely feels "funny" I guess and not quite as powerful until the engine reaches operating temp. It does also do the drop revs thing when it reaches second "gear", and 350GT I have the same theory as you on that one.

Andrew, do you notice anything else that's not quite right with the car?

At the moment, since you have a tool, might as well start with the simple things like doing all the relearns. Next move on to swapping the TCU with another one and go from there.

+1 for the relearn, Throttle position, Idle Air learning etc.

When the car was at the smash repair, was the battery disconnected?

Sounds like the car may have lost the base setting for when it is cold and needs to re learn all the settings.

My guess anyway. :)

Sorry if you misread but mine CAN change "gears" when cold, just took it for a quick spin then! I've never tried gunning hard it cold since it feels weird at start up but just mildy did it then when it was still cold and yep - can change gears. It doesn't feel as powerful and solid like you said until operating temp.

Mine's a 01/2004 build date, so I'm assuming it's the later CVT. What are the differences between the earlier and later CVTs? One thing that has interested me (and i'm too scared to try) is that if you gun while it's cold in manual mode say in first, then upshift, will the revs still rise or would it drop (like it normally would when warmed up) then rise again?

Fingers crossed everything's resolved with your car Andrew without too much coin spent.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I agree it does take time to warm up before shifting properly in normal operation, but the car STAYS in 1st no matter what for 2-4km. This is definitely not normal.

And it threw the vehicle speed sensor code, which is most certainly not normal.

I suggest the battery probably wasn't disconnected as the crash repairer was only touching up chips, but you never know. I will get them to do the re-learn things - is there a sticky somewhere to tell me how to do this?

Thanks for the tips guys.

I agree it does take time to warm up before shifting properly in normal operation, but the car STAYS in 1st no matter what for 2-4km. This is definitely not normal.

And it threw the vehicle speed sensor code, which is most certainly not normal.

I suggest the battery probably wasn't disconnected as the crash repairer was only touching up chips, but you never know. I will get them to do the re-learn things - is there a sticky somewhere to tell me how to do this?

Hi mate, how many kms has it done? You may need to change the oil as when it gets older, it'll start losing its ability to create friction between the lobes, therefore throwing up a speed sensor error as it slips. Kind of like when a back wheel loses traction and the traction control senses it.

It has only done 62,000km (according to the odo), and the condition of the car supports this.

The new sensors were fitted then the fault code deleted. That afternoon (Thursday) the CVT fluid was changed ($1,200 OUCH! - I had planned to anyhow though). The fault returned the next morning when they test drove it.

FYI I don't actually own this car yet. I have paid the deposit (which the seller has offered to return to me pending the problems being sorted out), and was supposed to fly to Melbourne this morning to pick it up. So atm the purchase is on hold until the problems are 100% fixed.

Does anyone know the rough price to replace the solenoids in an auto box? (I know this is a unique box, but just to give me a guide). It was mentioned to me that it may be solenoids, as the trans has a problem when cold and is fine when warmed up. I have no idea how long it sat in Japan waiting to be sold, so is a plausible theory.

So has no-one ever seen this type of behaviour from an auto box before?

Oh yeah, the car is a July 2002 model, so not sure if it has an update CVT box or not. FAST says my car model is BLJARSWV35EDA if that means anything to anyone.

My opinion is forget about getting this car, its already got problems and you haven't even bought it yet, find another one.

In fact, my other half is selling her one that is the same year and model as that one, its dark blue with black leather interior. The good part about it is she has already been through the whole process of getting the transmission fixed, exactly the same problems you are having now. And it takes a while to fix it, especially if the 'mechanics' working on it haven't touched one of those transmissions before, which they more than likely haven't.

The point is, my other half is selling hers now, you need a working V35, and I believe she wants $19k for it, but I'll find out all the details later if you are interested.

+1! as I said to you o the phoe, not fan of the cvt for that reason alone. great to drive when they work expensive to fix (12k) when they break. luck we diid have the cruise control fitted to it.

Yeah I do agree in some respects guys, but my line of thinking is that if they go and replace all the solenoids and the problem is fixed (I wouldn't take the car until someone has driven it error-free for a week), then I get a fully serviced gearbox with new bits in it included in the (already negotiated) purchase price. Win!

Also, this car has the Nismo aero package (which I haven't seen on ANY car in Aus before), has the exact km I want, and is an excellent price due to the seller being quite desperate to sell.

Also, I am not in a hurry to buy, as I haven't sold my old car yet and it would be more convenient to not have to try to squeeze 3 cars into a 2 car garage :happy:

I'll see what plays out this week and go from there. I agree it sounds like too much trouble, but if it all works out I really get a bonus.

And I know what you are saying Chris - but I love the CVT and smooth the power delivery is. And to go to a 04/05 update 5AT is a jump of nearly 10 grand on what I am paying for this one.

Great thinking! I'd too would stick to that car IF it was fully fixed knowing the chances of that happening again are slim to none (not ruling it out though). The CVTs are really great for what they are.

You haven't seen any sedans with the Nismo (officially Nissan Aero) at all? I'd say you haven't been looking hard enough! I've already seen 3 sedans with the Nismo aero alone.... in ADELAIDE (not including mine :happy:)! They're also all the earlier series with the "doggy door" whilst mine's the later version with the revised boot!

Wow I have only seen one V35 sedan on the road here in Adelaide and that is a blue one with full IMPUL kit that lives not too far from me (saw it parked at Wooies Northgate yesterday). NONE of the V35 sedans of carsales or Ebay have the Nismo kit (that I have noticed). A mate's dad owns a Silver coupe in Wynn Vale (with Volk wheels), and I spot the odd coupe around the place, but seldom sedans.

What colour is yours 350GT-ATE? I would love to check it out! One of the other guys on SAU has just bought a silver 300GT, so will catch up with him too once I get mine.

For some owners, it may be a bit too late to look after your CVT transmissions. But as a car lover, I look after my cars, especially auto transmissions with the tiptronic/paddle shift controls...It is the manual transmissions that I go wild on and do quick shifts, etc...

So to all those 'new' to tiptronic/paddle shift/CVT type of transmissions, (whilst you are in tiptronic/paddleshift mode) when you put it in a gear and rev it to the max, make sure that you step off the accelerator b4 u change up or down a gear....U wouldn't keep your foot on the accelerator whilst stepping on the clutch in a manual to change gears, would u? I know it sounds silly, but I have witnessed many drivers/friends/families do this....So i guess it's not so common-sense amongst the driving public...

Hopefully my 2 cents worth alleviates all these issues with auto transmissions, especially the CVT...Very under-rated in my mind. I would not exchange my CVT for a normal 5 speed auto, even if it was offered free to me (apples with apples)....Bag me all u want, but it's a personal preference. Despite V35 CVTs being cheaper than other V35s, I deliberately went and bought a V35 with CVT!!!

Anyway, if you are prepared to buy a japanese import, be prepared to fix it...the blood, sweat and tears are unavoidable in any 2nd hand car. If you want hassle-free - go buy a new Corolla or something, and get rid of it after warranty expires...

No I'm pretty sure the NISMO and Nissan Aero kits are the same - for sedans. I think you are mistaking it with the coupes since their optional Nissan Aero consisted of a front lower spoiler/lip and the rear wing, whilst the NISMO kit had a complete front bumper, skits, rear pods and different wing (the larger one). Officially it's known as the factory Nissan Aero kit, but the guys over in the US refer to it as the "NISMO" kit.

Andrew my car is sparkling silver. I'd be happy to let you check it out! Just PM me :devil:

a quick google later and yeah, there is no aero selection for V35s!! so sorry about that, and this nismo kit is exactly that, a nismo kit. i THINK there was an 'aero' lip and wing as you have already said.