SAU Community

Buying From A Dealer

Hi.

I am looking to buy a new car for myself, however I noticed that all the dealer's cars have very low km's on them. (e.g. 60,000 - 80,000km). This seems impossible considering the cars are 10-11 years old. (the r34 turbo's in particular)

I believe the cars have been around the clock once before or someone has reset them... but not real sure.

If any one could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, From Luke.

there are a few things to remember about cars from japan. 1: japan is a small place so that means that not much long driving is done. 2: japan has a very good public transport system so some people with cars won't drive them all the time. 3: while the car may only low kms on it, even if they are genuine kms, the engine may have much more wear than that due to sitting in traffic for long periods of time. the engine is still wearing while it is idling.

but yes, most imports that come into australia have had some 'tweaking' done. the biggest issue that this creates is that it can then mean that the timing belt gets left until well overdue before it is changed. however there would be some genuine km cars that come in. i have a 9 year old pulsar with 50,000kms on it. i have owned it for 6 years and only put 27,000kms on it in that time.

when looking at a car it is best to compare the kms on the clock to the condition of the car. if the car is extremely neat and has low kms then there is more chance of it being genuine, but it is going to be a good buy even if the kms are a bit higher than what the odometer says. if the kms are low and the car looks a bit tired then it is a bit obvious that things are a bit suss. but it is a case at looking at the right things. just because it has dodgy panels doesn't automatically mean the engine has done lots of kms.

• 5 weeks later...
when looking at a car it is best to compare the kms on the clock to the condition of the car. if the car is extremely neat and has low kms then there is more chance of it being genuine, but it is going to be a good buy even if the kms are a bit higher than what the odometer says. if the kms are low and the car looks a bit tired then it is a bit obvious that things are a bit suss. but it is a case at looking at the right things. just because it has dodgy panels doesn't automatically mean the engine has done lots of kms.

^^^ Ditto

An extra item to look at is the set of Keys.

I have a GT-R with only 34500Kms with Japanese history & I'm the 1st owner in Oz.

Carpet's like new.

Seat Bolsters are like new.

Steering Wheel is like new.

And since I have a full complememt of transponder keys, you can tell that all the keys are like new.

(So have a look at the key teeth as well as all other checks and balances)

Along with everything thats been mention, always should get the car checked out by a mechanic that you trust before you hand over the cash, because that way, even if you think the car is all good and clean, a experienced mechanic can tell you exactly what sort of condition the car is in.

But to be honest, I think buying a R34 GTT off a dealer is a bit of a rip.... They all put up the price and over charges everyone ($20,000-$25,000).

I think it's better off buying it privately, but just make sure you get the car checked out before you buy it. That way, you might save yourself a few grand. I just bought my manual GTT for $16,500 on the road off carsales, its got 105,000km on the clock, but the condition its in, is immaculate, its so good that the seller even serviced the car with nissan lol :laugh:

^^^ Ditto

An extra item to look at is the set of Keys.

I have a GT-R with only 34500Kms with Japanese history & I'm the 1st owner in Oz.

Carpet's like new.

Seat Bolsters are like new.

Steering Wheel is like new.

And since I have a full complememt of transponder keys, you can tell that all the keys are like new.

(So have a look at the key teeth as well as all other checks and balances)

im not saying that your cars km's arnt geniune, but it is possible that they could just replace all those things you mentioned to make it look new...trust me some people have extreme measures.

im not saying that your cars km's arnt geniune, but it is possible that they could just replace all those things you mentioned to make it look new...trust me some people have extreme measures.

Possible? Yes it's possible. You've used the correct word "...possible..."

But when you are discriminating and collecting 'jigsaw puzzle' pieces that fit and fit well, you then take the next step...

eg wife reads all the Japanese paperwork

eg take along a mechanic familiar with the Skyline

eg take along a panelbeater

eg compression testing

eg 100s of messages thru the steering wheel and the seat yaddayadda

Even buying from a Dealer can contain pitfalls when all the Dealer wants to do is 'sell another car' > CAVEAT EMPTOR